Old 22-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Andy

Default My first fry have hatched

Hi all,

My first ever fry hatched this evening

I inherited the fish (Koi, goldfish, comet) from my step father and had
to rush build a pond to keep them late last year. I added a couple of
comets and shubunkins in early spring and they spawned last Tuesday. I
lifted the weed into a small tank and kept it indoors. A few minutes ago
I saw several fry dashing about in the weed.

When the fish spawned it looked like a single shubunkin was mum...
anyone tell what I can expect the young to look like with their mixed
parentage?

TIA,

Andy
Old 22-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Reel McKoi

"Andy" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

My first ever fry hatched this evening

I inherited the fish (Koi, goldfish, comet) from my step father and had
to rush build a pond to keep them late last year. I added a couple of
comets and shubunkins in early spring and they spawned last Tuesday. I
lifted the weed into a small tank and kept it indoors. A few minutes ago
I saw several fry dashing about in the weed.

When the fish spawned it looked like a single shubunkin was mum...
anyone tell what I can expect the young to look like with their mixed
parentage?

=====================
Some will be very attractive, some will be plain and unattractive. I prefer
the matts myself. A few will probably always be a mud brown. I'm trying to
cull out everything that's not a shubunkin in my ponds. The shubunkins are
the prettiest (in my opinion).
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 23-05-2005, 03:47 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:34:20 +0100, Andy wrote:

Hi all,

My first ever fry hatched this evening

I inherited the fish (Koi, goldfish, comet)

When the fish spawned it looked like a single shubunkin was mum...
anyone tell what I can expect the young to look like with their mixed
parentage? Andy

A little bit of this, a little bit of that. Many will be dark, others may
color early, the dark ones will color later, and some will stay dark. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~