Old 30-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Sudden water loss

The other night, Phyllis and I came back to find the pond down by
4"...out of 24". The loss was at a rate of 1/2" per hour...that is
about 50 gallons in our pond.

Needless to say, we shut down the pump and the berm ponds and waited to
see what drained. Nothing did! We kicked things in one at a time...no
apparent loss on the berm. Ultimately, we found a bunch of waste in the
stream under our deck. The water was not leaking out of the pond. It
was overflowing the stream behind the dam. That gave us the sudden
water loss.

We have done some learning he
check the streams regularly
the basic system is nicely whole and without leaks

It would be scary to have that happen when we are on vacation...indeed,
lethal.

Jim

Old 30-05-2005, 05:01 PM
kathy

Hi Jim,
AK! that is what always worries me
the most, a leak over the back of the stock
tank.
And it did happen once.
Pond was half way down and my sitter was
adding water slowly over two days to try and
get it back up but nothing happened as it
was still going over the back. No fish lost
thank goodness!

I've since given my pond sitter lots of instructions
about what to look for when that happens
and my phone numbers to call.

This summer we are so packed with obligations
that somebody will be home at all times so
no vacations here!

kathy :-)

Old 30-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Bonnie NJ

Glad you caught it early. I hate to leave the pond in the summer time - it
always make me nervous.
This year our start up was a little behind schedule - DH had a triple bypass
and the pond was put on the back burner.
Now he is healing and the pond is going well. DH has a job of protecting
the pond from nasty herons ;-) - he's doing a great job so far!

--
Bonnie
NJ
. ..

Old 30-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Bonnie,

Our water celery (yours) has continued to thrive and has been passed on
to a bunch of people. Thanks.

Jim

Old 31-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Carolyn

We have water loss occasionally too, but it is from the birds splashing so
vigorously in the stream!

Water Loss? bbrown9506 Ponds 5 20-07-2005 07:29 PM
[IBC] sudden increase of leaf loss of our fukien tree Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 44 26-07-2004 10:03 PM
sudden increase of leaf loss of our fukien tree Dad Bonsai 6 26-07-2004 01:33 AM
sudden increase of leaf loss of our fukien tree David Soukal Bonsai 0 22-07-2004 05:55 PM
Potted plant water loss from evaporation? Bruce W...1 Gardening 6 17-11-2003 07:22 AM