GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seashells with Goldfish? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/95700-seashells-goldfish.html)

not very clever 11-06-2005 11:01 AM

Seashells with Goldfish?

I have a new pond (approx 5000 litres) with a pump/filter system with a
capacity up to 12000 litres.

I intend keeping Goldfish in it once everything is balanced out.

Would seashells (cockle) be okay in the base? I have read somewhere that
they are made of calcium which might be a problem - or would the filter sort
that out?

Thanks for your help:-)

Reel McKoi 11-06-2005 04:21 PM

"not very clever" news at snorkerz.com wrote in message
I have a new pond (approx 5000 litres) with a pump/filter system with a
capacity up to 12000 litres.

I intend keeping Goldfish in it once everything is balanced out.

Would seashells (cockle) be okay in the base? I have read somewhere that
they are made of calcium which might be a problem - or would the filter

sort
that out?

Thanks for your help:-)

==============================
I've used them in fishtanks (alkaline fish only) without a problem.
Goldfish and koi are not acid water lovers so there shouldn't be a problem.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Gabrielle 12-06-2005 02:28 AM

I've used shells collected from the beach in my aquariums without
problems. I usually rinse them well and then boil them to get rid of any
nasties before I drop them in the tank.

Gabrielle

RichToyBox 12-06-2005 11:54 PM

The shells will provide a source of calcium, probably not needed, and a
source of carbonates, which is very desirable. The carbonates will dissolve
when the water starts to go acid, stabilizing the pH. As long as the pH is
high, the sea shells will not dissolve, but if the pH starts to decrease,
then having the buffer is good. One problem with putting them in the pond,
if you are putting in enough to cover the bottom of the pond is the amount
of debris that will be trapped, and due to poor water circulation the
development of some nasty bacteria.
--
RichToyBox

Courageous 14-06-2005 01:43 AM

then having the buffer is good. One problem with putting them in the pond,
if you are putting in enough to cover the bottom of the pond is the amount
of debris that will be trapped, and due to poor water circulation the
development of some nasty bacteria.

Anaerobic nitrate consuming bacteria, don't you mean?

In marine aquaria, they do this on purpose. They put as much as 6"
of aragonite (sea shell) sand on the bottom of aquariums, to deliberately
create an anaerobic area that will eat nitrates. This is as opposed to
aerobic bacteria, which /produce/ nitrates.

I agree that particulates may be a problem, though.

C//