Old 13-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Nick-S

Default Added some new pond plants but water turned all muddy :-( ...

is there an easier solution than removing most of the water ! thankyou :-)
Will Barley Straw do the job ?

Old 13-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Gail Futoran

"Nick-S" iwant2believe wrote in message
is there an easier solution than removing most of the water ! thankyou :-)
Will Barley Straw do the job ?

How long has it been? Given time, the muddiness will
probably go away. Barley straw is for algae not mud.

How did you plant your plants? If you didn't put
pea gravel on top of the planting soil, you'll keep
getting muddy water.

Gail

Old 13-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Nick-S

I ran out of pea gravel and just used a few large stones - - also I had to
use a regular plant pot that I cut holes in so the roots of the plant would
be able to grow...unfortunately thats how some mud from the pot murked up
the water .. I've since removed the offending pot , but the water is still
muddy and it's now been 2 days.

Old 13-06-2005, 06:57 PM
~Roy~

IMHO there really is no need to cut any additional holes in a pot used
to put plants in. They wuill do just fine with regular nursery pots..
If your afraid of dirt etc eventually filtering out of the pots, just
put in some fiber filter batting before you put n the dirt.

It will clear, just give it some time. Its not going to be the first
time either, as its inevitable your gonna have potted plants get
tipped be it form wht eind or critters its gonna happen..

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:04:17 -0600, "Nick-S" iwant2believe wrote:

===I ran out of pea gravel and just used a few large stones - - also I had to
===use a regular plant pot that I cut holes in so the roots of the plant would
===be able to grow...unfortunately thats how some mud from the pot murked up
===the water .. I've since removed the offending pot , but the water is still
===muddy and it's now been 2 days.
===
==="Gail Futoran" wrote in message
=== "Nick-S" iwant2believe wrote in message
=== ...
=== is there an easier solution than removing most of the water ! thankyou
=== :-) Will Barley Straw do the job ?
===
=== How long has it been? Given time, the muddiness will
=== probably go away. Barley straw is for algae not mud.
===
=== How did you plant your plants? If you didn't put
=== pea gravel on top of the planting soil, you'll keep
=== getting muddy water.
===
=== Gail
===
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 13-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Koi-Phonics

"Nick-S" iwant2believe wrote in message
is there an easier solution than removing most of the water ! thankyou :-)
Will Barley Straw do the job ?

=============================
Eventually it settles. Give it time. I line all my nursery plant pots with
black plastic from trash bags and poke a few small holes in the bottom. It
sure helps to keep the soil in the pot. Also use gravel over the soil or
it'll soon be all over your pond.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 14-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Nick-S

thanks for your help
"Koi-Phonics" wrote in message

"Nick-S" iwant2believe wrote in message
is there an easier solution than removing most of the water ! thankyou
:-)
Will Barley Straw do the job ?

=============================

Old 14-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Quercus Robur

When planting new plants in a pot. I line the pot, perforated or not, with
landscape "cloth". The fiber glass kind. Then pack the plant with
purchased "topsoil" which is almost always clay. My Koi turn anything over,
they can. I usually place the new pot in a MUCH larger one and fill the
space inbetween with 1" pebbles.
Martin

Old 14-06-2005, 03:59 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:01:36 GMT, "Quercus Robur" wrote:

When planting new plants in a pot. I line the pot, perforated or not, with
landscape "cloth". The fiber glass kind. Then pack the plant with
purchased "topsoil" which is almost always clay. My Koi turn anything over,
they can. I usually place the new pot in a MUCH larger one and fill the
space inbetween with 1" pebbles.
Martin

Interesting, placing pot in pot. :-)

Like Martin I line pot/basket with cheap weed fabric (I usually use plastic
baskets from Big Lots ~ 12"X18"). I then make strips out of the fabric and
lay on top of my "straight from the garden" sandy soil and large rocks on
the strips to hold them down. Hardly any of the soil escapes when I put the
plant in the pond, and none after. The nice thing is the weed fabric allows
some water movement thru as I don't get the stinky sulfur smell when I
divide those plants like I do from those in solid pots. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-06-2005, 06:25 AM
De-Koid

"Quercus Robur" wrote in message
When planting new plants in a pot. I line the pot, perforated or not,

with
landscape "cloth". The fiber glass kind.

=====================
You may want to check with your vet about that fiber glass in you pond.
Once swallowed it's like microscopic needles and can't be passed. It
doesn't break down in the GI tract. I personally wouldn't use something
like that where my fish would possibly have access to the glass fibers.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 14-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Hal

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:04:17 -0600, "Nick-S" iwant2believe wrote:

I ran out of pea gravel and just used a few large stones - - also I had to
use a regular plant pot that I cut holes in so the roots of the plant would
be able to grow...unfortunately thats how some mud from the pot murked up
the water .. I've since removed the offending pot , but the water is still
muddy and it's now been 2 days.

Aluminum Sulfate 4 oz per 1500 gal. It's 20 ppm, which is the dose
recommended by the USDA. Reduces KH removes, phosphates causes
particles to coagulate.

That is a temporary treatment for algae, but it causes particles to
coagulate and makes them easier to vacuum from the bottom.

Koi and goldfish are bottom feeders that suck up a bit of bottom
dirt/mud and if there is no food in it they blow it back out. They
are most efficient in dispersing a pot of soil and small pebbles
around the bottom of a once clean pond. I use larger than egg sized
stones in my lily pots and don't make holes in the pots.

Regards,

Hal

Old 14-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Hal" wrote in message
Koi and goldfish are bottom feeders that suck up a bit of bottom
dirt/mud and if there is no food in it they blow it back out. They
are most efficient in dispersing a pot of soil and small pebbles
around the bottom of a once clean pond. I use larger than egg sized
stones in my lily pots and don't make holes in the pots.

=========================
Before someone asks.... these stones can be found at Lowe's and Home Depot.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 15-06-2005, 04:47 AM
Courageous

some water movement thru as I don't get the stinky sulfur smell when I
divide those plants like I do from those in solid pots. ~ jan

Well, I'd go with that technique then! The sulfur smell usually also
means hydrogen sulfide, which is toxic to fish. Probably well contained
in the pot. But. Well, never too safe to be sorry as they say.

C//

Muddy Pond Water Cheryl Ponds 2 04-09-2005 01:41 PM
Water Turned Green Algae in new pond......Help! Bowhunter Ponds 7 19-05-2005 02:37 AM
Added pond straw and water turned yellowish-brown Terry Stabb Ponds 3 01-10-2003 05:32 PM