Old 16-06-2005, 09:57 PM

Default snapping turtle season

The other day, my neighbor (two doors up) came by to tell me that a
snapping turtle had laid eggs in his back yard. She came up from the
stream in the woods, walked up the hill to his yard, and walked up a hill
in his yard to a spot by his shed, where she dug her nest and did her
thing.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

Old 17-06-2005, 12:01 AM
kathy

Fun!
Baby snappers are so cute!
Just like baby alligators, baby man eating tigers
and baby Godzilla ;-)

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ a snake story

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 17-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
ganews.com...
The other day, my neighbor (two doors up) came by to tell me that a
snapping turtle had laid eggs in his back yard. She came up from the
stream in the woods, walked up the hill to his yard, and walked up a hill
in his yard to a spot by his shed, where she dug her nest and did her
thing.

===================
We're draining our 800 gallon pond tomorrow or Saturday as we think another
one (snapper) breached the netting. We found two beautiful butterfly koi
with their tails in bloody shreds this afternoon. Part of the net was torn
and missing near the ground. Our neighbor and ourselves have been trying to
rid our ponds and area of these menaces by taking everyone we see to a
nearby lake. He told me this morning he hasn't seen any snapper in his
stock pond but he's now invaded by southern sliders. he gave up keeping
fish in his pond years ago.

We're replacing the side nets with hardware cloth this weekend. That should
keep the dirty little stinkers out....... speaking of stinkers,...another
fish eating water snake commit suicide in the net this week. What an
odor.... *gasp*.....

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 17-06-2005, 02:10 PM
mark Bannister

Reel Mckoi wrote:
snip

he gave up keeping
fish in his pond years ago.

You should see what the do to duck feet when they get out of control.
Poor crippled creatures with chunks out of their feet.
Mark B.
Old 17-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Reel Mckoi

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Reel Mckoi wrote:
snip

he gave up keeping
fish in his pond years ago.

You should see what the do to duck feet when they get out of control.
Poor crippled creatures with chunks out of their feet.
Mark B.

======================
I have seen them. These snappers are a constant problem where I live. I
know a woman who lost part of a finger to a snapper when she was a child.
In disgust her grandparents filled in the pond and watered the livestock
from a tank.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 17-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Jeri Toll

"Reel Mckoi" Sell them to the Chinks in Nashville. they buy and eat
anything.

They eat dogs and cats too. Turtle Soup is supposedly delicious.

Old 17-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Perendinater

Yes, very cute... and very voracious. I kept some as pets for about 8
months, years ago in college. They grew from hatchlings to about 8 inches
long on a steady diet of turtle food sticks and coldcuts (mostly turkey)
from the school cafeteria. Probably not the best over-all diet for them,
but with the amount they ate and the income I had as a student, the coldcut
option worked for my budget..

BTW, whenever I've had trouble getting a turtle to eat, fat-free turkey
coldcuts have almost always jumpstarted them (and don't foul up the water).
Then they'll usually switch over to a more balanced diet pretty easily.

oups.com...

Old 19-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Reel Koi :-\)

"Jeri Toll" wrote in message
t...
"Reel Mckoi" Sell them to the Chinks in Nashville. they buy and eat
anything.

They eat dogs and cats too. Turtle Soup is supposedly delicious.

=====================================
So I heard. Back in NY, in the rural areas, people made soup from the mud
(snapper) turtles. I never had the nerve to try any.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 21-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Grainne Gillespie

I have seen them. These snappers are a constant problem where I live. I
know a woman who lost part of a finger to a snapper when she was a child

That's why its recommended to leave them alone, also if they were living in
an area where snappers could be found her parents and grandparents should
have taught her if she came across a turtle then not to put her hands near
it in case it turned out to be a snapper

Old 21-06-2005, 02:49 AM
~ Carol ~

"Grainne Gillespie" wrote in message
I have seen them. These snappers are a constant problem where I live.

know a woman who lost part of a finger to a snapper when she was a child

That's why its recommended to leave them alone,

* I removed them from my ponds and took them to a lake about 2 miles away.
With 3 grandchildren I couldn't take the chance of someone losing a finger
or toes. They were also killing our fish.

also if they were living in
an area where snappers could be found her parents and grandparents should
have taught her if she came across a turtle then not to put her hands near
it in case it turned out to be a snapper

* We tell children all the time not to talk to strangers.... and do they
listen? I'm sure she was warned.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 21-06-2005, 06:16 AM
Dog is good

"Grainne Gillespie" if they were living in an area where snappers could be
found her parents and grandparents should have taught her if she came across
a turtle then not to put her hands near it in case it turned out to be a
snapper

Hopefully all of your neighbors warned their little boys not to put their
fingers in your crack too.

snap dragons still snapping Gus Overton Gardening 24 19-11-2013 03:07 AM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Snapping Turtle Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 9 26-09-2007 08:00 PM
Snapping Turtles Booser Ponds 5 28-05-2004 07:08 PM
Outdoor turtle habitat Dave Bell Ponds 3 01-04-2003 12:44 AM
behold the turtle K30a Ponds 0 11-03-2003 06:58 PM