Old 19-06-2005, 11:49 AM
*muffin*

Default koi colors..are your koi fancy? or mutts?

I have been looking at a some of the koi websites that show the different
colors , etc. & even with all the different choices, I can only find ONE
that matches what I have in my pond!

guess mine are all the rejects & mutts they have left over!

mine vary so much in different colors, I have no idea what they would fit
into! plus , I guess I am surprised, since I would think there would only be
definite colors for each species , but the quality OF the patterning would
be the determining factor.. but I have some koi, like one that is yellowish
& has black & orange speckling on it, which according to the charts would be
some kind of mutation! (lol) not a darn thing close to THAT coloration!

are YOUR koi perfectly matched of species? or do you have mutts too?
pictures? ( I must get some taken of mine)

Old 19-06-2005, 01:47 PM

http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mykoi/mykoi.htm

"*muffin*" wrote:

I have been looking at a some of the koi websites that show the different
colors , etc. & even with all the different choices, I can only find ONE
that matches what I have in my pond!

guess mine are all the rejects & mutts they have left over!

mine vary so much in different colors, I have no idea what they would fit
into! plus , I guess I am surprised, since I would think there would only be
definite colors for each species , but the quality OF the patterning would
be the determining factor.. but I have some koi, like one that is yellowish
& has black & orange speckling on it, which according to the charts would be
some kind of mutation! (lol) not a darn thing close to THAT coloration!

are YOUR koi perfectly matched of species? or do you have mutts too?
pictures? ( I must get some taken of mine)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 19-06-2005, 02:09 PM
~Roy~

Subject says it all......

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 19-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Wilmdale

*muffin* wrote:

I have been looking at a some of the koi websites that show the different
colors , etc. & even with all the different choices, I can only find ONE
that matches what I have in my pond!

guess mine are all the rejects & mutts they have left over!

mine vary so much in different colors, I have no idea what they would fit
into! plus , I guess I am surprised, since I would think there would only be
definite colors for each species , but the quality OF the patterning would
be the determining factor.. but I have some koi, like one that is yellowish
& has black & orange speckling on it, which according to the charts would be
some kind of mutation! (lol) not a darn thing close to THAT coloration!

are YOUR koi perfectly matched of species? or do you have mutts too?
pictures? ( I must get some taken of mine)

Mostly "mutts" from the pet store. The $3.56 - $5.00 variety. They are
a beautiful array though. Some yellow ones, white, one blue one with
red belly I paid $10.00 for at a locally owned and run pet store, some
blue and white, blue, orange, and white, some gold, and some blue and
orange, etc. About 27-30 in all. None over 10" yet.
W. Dale

Old 19-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Wilmdale

Impressive!! :-) Great pictures.
W. Dale

"*muffin*" wrote:

I have been looking at a some of the koi websites that show the different
colors , etc. & even with all the different choices, I can only find ONE
that matches what I have in my pond!

guess mine are all the rejects & mutts they have left over!

mine vary so much in different colors, I have no idea what they would fit
into! plus , I guess I am surprised, since I would think there would only be
definite colors for each species , but the quality OF the patterning would
be the determining factor.. but I have some koi, like one that is yellowish
& has black & orange speckling on it, which according to the charts would be
some kind of mutation! (lol) not a darn thing close to THAT coloration!

are YOUR koi perfectly matched of species? or do you have mutts too?
pictures? ( I must get some taken of mine)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Old 19-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Hank

Muffin, ......... Mine is a mutt and proud of it.

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

http://www.geocities.com/hankpagel/pondpigs.html

Old 19-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Reel Mckoi

"*muffin*" wrote in message
[...]

====================================
Some of mine match the pictures in the books I have, and other's don't. As
I cull them out each year I keep the prettiest ones and sell or trade those
less colorful or with less attractive shapes. I want what pleases me and
not the koi judges in Japan. :-)

I especially like the metallic butterfly koi.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 19-06-2005, 10:37 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:49:56 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

are YOUR koi perfectly matched of species? or do you have mutts too?
pictures? ( I must get some taken of mine)

Of course they're mutts, you don't get papers till you spend a few grand.
;-) I'm similar, having ogons, bekkos, doitsu, gin rin sanke and a lot of
odds & ends. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 19-06-2005, 11:38 PM
~Roy~

I buy what I like with or without the "papers". Besides who is it
that deterines its a mutt? Yea, maybe a real koi judge, but to each
their own. If I like it I buy it.........amndnI have yet to be
swindled into buying one I did not like to begin with. Who really
knows, one of those sick koi barely alive in Wally World could have
come from a GC.......The local koi farm here rasies tons of ornamental
fish every year, and they do not cull a thing. They are sep[erated
only according to size, and type........not quality, and the owners
make the pilgramage to Japan to buy new breeders every year.. for
stock improvement etc.....and do not show koi but know full well what
a good koi should have....

Oh and in case your wondering about the only papers that may come with
any Koi no matter how much it cost is a bill of sale...........no
papers certifying any genetics or lineage, only the Japanese koi
farmers word as to its origins and breeding.

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:37:30 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===

Old 19-06-2005, 11:50 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

(~Roy~) wrote:

Subject says it all......

Ditto, but was she just visiting, or returnth? Hope she's back. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 20-06-2005, 02:36 AM
Registered User

When I culled my herd I gave away two beautiful butterfly Koi and kept my three "mutts". They are big, and fat, but very friendly. Here is a pic of my biggest Koi named "Fish One".

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...djune19010.jpg
Old 20-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Wilmdale

Koitoy wrote:

When I culled my herd I gave away two beautiful butterfly Koi and kept
my three "mutts". They are big, and fat, but very friendly. Here is a
pic of my biggest Koi named "Fish One".

http://tinyurl.com/bbhfu

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :-)
W. Dale

Old 20-06-2005, 03:57 AM
*muffin*

"~Roy~" wrote in message
I buy what I like with or without the "papers". Besides who is it
that deterines its a mutt?

well for me, I was talking, that MOST of my koi do not resemble the
pictures of the colors & species of the koi on the websites.
*mine* look like a kid just tossed paint colors on most of them,.
I have been trying to figure out WHAT they are so when someone asks I can
say.... oh that's a ""such & such"".
I do have a couple with ginrin coloring,,,,,,,,, or is that metallic???
arrghhhhh

Old 20-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Reel McKoi

"Koitoy" wrote in message

When I culled my herd I gave away two beautiful butterfly Koi and kept
my three "mutts". They are big, and fat, but very friendly. Here is a
pic of my biggest Koi named "Fish One".

http://tinyurl.com/bbhfu

=========================
Wow! That koi doesn't look "mutty" to me! I have three of these,.. one in
orange, one in yellow and one in gray. They call them pinecone koi here.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 20-06-2005, 04:46 AM
kathy

Mutts here but Mutts with a Mission.
As I've got them in the pond to keep the snails
in check.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ introducing Miss Lily,
a painted turtle