Old 24-06-2005, 06:22 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Default Meridian aquarium automatic water changer

We have been using a Meridian aquarium automatic water changer on our fish
tanks for the last 9-10 years. I messed up when I tried to unclog the hole
and made it bigger, now it has to be watched carefully so it doesn't over
flow the tank. Thus, we called the manufacturer for a new part and found
out they're not making it any more. So next I searched for some store that
might still have one in stock. No luck.

Anyone have an idea how to get something no longer made, made again?
~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 24-06-2005, 09:24 PM
~Roy~

Jan

I am not familiar with the system you mention, but is it possible to
home brew a replacement orifice / part for it? There is not much made
anymore today that you can expect to get replaement parts for after a
few years..........but 9 out of 10 times broken or worn stuff can be
refurbed by someone that likes to tinker.

Can you describe the part thats bad? An image of it perhaps? If I can
I would gladly help you get it back to where it was just for the heck
of doing it.........you have m y email addy if you have a pic send it
and mayabe I can do something for it. I take it its a hole (orifice)
in the device that allows water to flow out of and is sealed up
against by water pressure or float, and thats where its leaking. I may
be possible to drill it out and insert a larger bushing with a
correctly sized hole or perhaps clean up the hole you accidently
enlarged when unclogging it.....

Regards

Roy

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:22:50 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===We have been using a Meridian aquarium automatic water changer on our fish
===tanks for the last 9-10 years. I messed up when I tried to unclog the hole
===and made it bigger, now it has to be watched carefully so it doesn't over
===flow the tank. Thus, we called the manufacturer for a new part and found
===out they're not making it any more. So next I searched for some store that
===might still have one in stock. No luck.
===
===Anyone have an idea how to get something no longer made, made again?
===~ jan
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 24-06-2005, 11:50 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

I am not familiar with the system you mention, but is it possible to
home brew a replacement orifice / part for it? There is not much made
anymore today that you can expect to get replaement parts for after a
few years..........but 9 out of 10 times broken or worn stuff can be
refurbed by someone that likes to tinker.

Son has been tinkering with it, so far no go. I think he used goop and
after it set up he made a new hole.

Can you describe the part thats bad? An image of it perhaps?

What it does is shoot a fine stream of water into a tank while siphon the
exact amount out. Never occurred to me that the hole had to be exact.
Currently I just siphon some water out into a bucket and dump and let it
fill. It does still siphon just not as fast as it can currently fill, so we
usually make it thru a change without problems.

Right now I think son just needs to try again on the hole resizing. I'll
let you know if we get totally frustrated. Thanks, ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 25-06-2005, 07:16 AM
Greg Cooper

Not sure of the physical setup (picture would help) but any good
motorcycle dealer will have a assortment of carburator main jets in
various sizes - maybe this would help.

Cheers.

Old 26-06-2005, 04:11 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 06:16:16 GMT, Greg Cooper wrote:

Not sure of the physical setup (picture would help) but any good
motorcycle dealer will have a assortment of carburator main jets in
various sizes - maybe this would help.

Cheers.

Hmmm, she said quizzically, first time I've seen a ponding/motorcyling
cross over. I have a poor digital camera that I don't think would give
enough detail if I took a picture. Currently son claims he's got it fixed,
so we'll see in the next go round of water changes. Thanks, ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 26-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Greg Cooper

Yes it probably does not happen a lot.
Motorcycles are another interest of mine and I used to do my own tuning
so I am familiar with buying jetting parts.
I am glad if you got it fixed.

Old 22-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Registered User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ janj JJsPond.us View Post
We have been using a Meridian aquarium automatic water changer on our fish
tanks for the last 9-10 years. I messed up when I tried to unclog the hole
and made it bigger, now it has to be watched carefully so it doesn't over
flow the tank. Thus, we called the manufacturer for a new part and found
out they're not making it any more. So next I searched for some store that
might still have one in stock. No luck.

Anyone have an idea how to get something no longer made, made again?
~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
I'm also looking for the same. My last one just went kaput