Old 26-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Registered User

Default Pond reeds (bullrushes) falling over HELP!

Hi,

Can anyone help me? I have a medium size pond in my garden which used to have a steel grill over the top.

I had to remove this to fix the pump the other day and now I can't put it back without wrecking the reeds - plus it looks nicer without the grill!

The problem is little did I realise the grill actually helped the reeds stay up. If I cut the reeds down and put the grill back will the reeds grow back this summer? Is there another way to help them stand up?

They looked really nice before and they look terrible now they have all fallen over. Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian
Old 26-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Reel Mckoi

"britonk" wrote in message
They looked really nice before and they look terrible now they have all
fallen over. Any help will be much appreciated!

=========================
You may want to just trim them back a little. They were depending on the
grid to hold them up. Trimming them back shouldn't hurt them and they
should grow back and support themselves.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/crtso

Old 26-06-2005, 08:21 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Can anyone help me? I have a medium size pond in my garden which used
to have a steel grill over the top.

I had to remove this to fix the pump the other day and now I can't put
it back without wrecking the reeds - plus it looks nicer without the
grill!

The problem is little did I realise the grill actually helped the reeds
stay up. If I cut the reeds down and put the grill back will the reeds
grow back this summer? Is there another way to help them stand up?
Brian

Hi Brian,

Cut the reeds down, above the water line. Do not replace grill, as they got
dependent on it for support. They will grow up and manage without it.

What was the original reason for the grill? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 26-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Registered User

Hi Jan - if that really works that will be great! The previous owners of the house put the drid there as they had a small child I don't think it servd any other purpose.
Old 28-06-2005, 03:47 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Hi Jan - if that really works that will be great!

If it doesn't I'll be surprised, but let me know.

The previous owners of the house put the drid there as they had a small child

Sounds about right. We're all for gridding, rather than ripping out or
filling, to protect a child. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Iris flowers keep falling over PatK Gardening 16 15-03-2011 07:56 PM
Potatoes Falling Over Ian B[_2_] United Kingdom 4 09-06-2010 06:06 PM
Bullrushes 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 4 17-08-2009 07:08 AM
Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
gladiolus falling over....why? Donald Gares Gardening 5 02-07-2005 06:30 AM