Old 29-06-2005, 02:53 AM
*muffin*

Default koi ulcer,, revisited

a while ago I posted a question about an ulcer ( really a big wound) that
happened on one of my koi.
after 2 weeks, it is getting a white coating over it, it still is the size
of about a quarter, but doesn't seem to bother the fish .

does this mean its healing ok?
I did find some wound ointment for fish, which, IF you suggest I can *try*
to catch it & put that on (with a topping of denture powder),,, but am
wondering if I should just leave it alone now?

I took a pic of the fish ( although not perfect) I can send to anyone
interested. ( I really do need to get back on my pic website someday & add
some)

thanks!

Old 29-06-2005, 03:23 AM
Reel Mckoi

"*muffin*" wrote in message
a while ago I posted a question about an ulcer ( really a big wound) that
happened on one of my koi.
after 2 weeks, it is getting a white coating over it, it still is the size
of about a quarter, but doesn't seem to bother the fish .

============================
Try and find KoiZyme and add that to your pond water. It out-competes the
bacteria that cause ulcers. The ulcers heal rapidly when it's used. At
least that was our experience.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 29-06-2005, 05:48 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:53:09 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

after 2 weeks, it is getting a white coating over it, it still is the size
of about a quarter, but doesn't seem to bother the fish .

does this mean its healing ok?

Yes!

I did find some wound ointment for fish, which, IF you suggest I can *try*
to catch it & put that on (with a topping of denture powder),,, but am
wondering if I should just leave it alone now?

No. One of the big mistakes is treating a wound. One thing to do it once
when it is fresh, but fish actually start a healing/sealing process right
away that our good intentions sometime ruin.

I took a pic of the fish ( although not perfect) I can send to anyone
interested. ( I really do need to get back on my pic website someday & add
some)

You can send to me: ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 29-06-2005, 05:49 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Is this particular bacteria sensitive to salinity?

C//

KoiZyme isn't affect by salt, is my understanding. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 29-06-2005, 06:29 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Courageous" wrote in message

Try and find KoiZyme and add that to your pond water. It out-competes

the
bacteria that cause ulcers. The ulcers heal rapidly when it's used.

At
least that was our experience.

Is this particular bacteria sensitive to salinity?

C//

=================================
I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds. I have seen
ulcers start to heal in a few days after adding it to the ponds. Ulcers
were a big problem a few years back. Since I use it prophylacticly now, the
fish no longer get ulcers or infections when hurt in some way.

Old 29-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Courageous" wrote in message

I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds.

Why not? The plants?

I've read that koi like a little salinity.

C//

==============================
I stopped using it when I saw how good other people's pond fish were doing
without it. That's also when I learned about the catfish pellets others
were using. I stopped the salt and expensive overpriced fish foods. My
fish are thriving.

I don't recall exactly how much salt I used at the time but it wasn't enough
to harm the plants. It did nothing for the parasites that were common back
(in purchased fish) then such as gillmites, anchor worm and those *&^%$#@
ulcers.

Old 29-06-2005, 07:51 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds.
Why not? The plants?
I've read that koi like a little salinity.

C//

Seeing the fish, a little salinity right now would help, even to just
0.05%, ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 29-06-2005, 09:16 PM
*muffin*

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds.

Why not? The plants?
I've read that koi like a little salinity.

C//

Seeing the fish, a little salinity right now would help, even to just
0.05%, ~ jan

somehow I am NOT seeing "courageous" postings!(("Courageous"
))anyone else have this problem? this person
brought up the salt.

but anyway, Jan, if you are talking about my fish I do have salinity at 0.1%

Old 30-06-2005, 06:43 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:16:38 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
.. .
I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds.
Why not? The plants?
I've read that koi like a little salinity.

C//

Seeing the fish, a little salinity right now would help, even to just
0.05%, ~ jan

somehow I am NOT seeing "courageous" postings!(("Courageous"
))anyone else have this problem? this person
brought up the salt.

but anyway, Jan, if you are talking about my fish I do have salinity at 0.1%

That's even better. ;o) Who posted the line that they don't use salt? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 30-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Roy

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:43:14 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

Snip

Who posted the line that they don't use salt? ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

You know my take on salt for the most part! ;-)

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 30-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Courageous

I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds.

Why not? The plants?

I've read that koi like a little salinity.

C//

Skinny Koi revisited humBill Ponds (moderated) 3 21-04-2007 11:18 AM
koi ulcer question *muffin* Ponds 25 22-06-2005 07:16 AM
Koi ulcer,please help. John Ponds 13 09-04-2004 07:11 AM
cap'n blood here - was: worms revisited Fran Higham Permaculture 18 05-05-2003 02:08 PM
Worms revisited Janet Baraclough Permaculture 8 22-10-2002 03:31 AM