Old 29-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Lilly

Default Wow. Just WOW.

Since I have neither the time, funds or energy to get a pond up and
running anytime in the future, I decided to ask a friend if I could
send my fishes out to Summer Camp at his place. He's got the room with
14 ponds, and the goldfish pond is roughly 4,000 gallons. Sent the
goldfish to the 4,000 and the tropicals other smaller ponds (actually
kiddie pools). Whooboy are they happy! I expect everyone to come back
in all fat and happy.

The only downside so far is that one goldfish was murdered by some
unknown creature. It's eyes were missing, as well as it's throat was
torn out. If anybody has ideas what did that I'd like to know. My guess
is a raccoon or snake.

Lilly

Old 30-06-2005, 12:28 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

The only downside so far is that one goldfish was murdered by some
unknown creature. It's eyes were missing, as well as it's throat was
torn out. If anybody has ideas what did that I'd like to know. My guess
is a raccoon or snake.
Lilly

How big was the goldfish? I've seen this damage on small ones due to
dragonfly larvae. They will usually gut them too, if they have time. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 30-06-2005, 03:42 AM
matrix j

Eyes gouged out usually means some kind of bird.....either after it was
killed or when it was killed..was the fish still pretty fresh? ...seen
it a lot of times while fishing..after a bird gets a hold of a fish it
usually eats the eyes first..jmo

Old 30-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Lilly

The fish went into the pond mid to late afternoon. So a bird is
possible. My friend mentioned dragonfly larvae, as did Jan. Now that
it's mentioned twice, it could likely be that. He said it looked almost
as if the fish tried to eat something, and the something turned around
and tried to eat it back.

The GF was a fantail, maybe 3.5 to 4" SL (excluding the tail). Not the
biggest, but certainly not a wee one.

Lilly

Old 30-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Lilly

Jan, my friend mentioned the dragonfly larvae too. Fish was 3.5 to 4"
SL.

He'd gone out under cover of dark w/flashlight to check on the fish and
discovered the GF. I haven't seen it, he froze it so I could see. Will
probably get to inspect it this weekend.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On 30 Jun 2005 08:37:40 -0700, "Lilly" wrote:

Jan, my friend mentioned the dragonfly larvae too. Fish was 3.5 to 4"
SL.

I know some dragonfly larvae can get very big. Kathy, know anything about
how big some get? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 01-07-2005, 09:12 PM
matrix j

Old 19-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Lilly

Well, I finally got a peek and some pics of the goldfish. It definitely
looks like something that he ate disagreed with him. From the inside
out, a la the movie Alien. Be warned, if you're eating or have a
squeamish tummy, don't look.

Pic 1, http://www.flickr.com/photos/95599065@N00/27127863/
Pic 2, somewhat humorous,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95599065@N00/27127864/

I'm definitely thinking dragonfly larvae. Anybody else?

Lilly

Old 19-07-2005, 09:32 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On 19 Jul 2005 09:37:50 -0700, "Lilly" wrote:

Well, I finally got a peek and some pics of the goldfish. It definitely
looks like something that he ate disagreed with him. From the inside
out, a la the movie Alien. Be warned, if you're eating or have a
squeamish tummy, don't look.

Pic 1, http://www.flickr.com/photos/95599065@N00/27127863/
Pic 2, somewhat humorous,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95599065@N00/27127864/

I'm definitely thinking dragonfly larvae. Anybody else?

Lilly

Dragonfly larvae gets my vote. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 20-07-2005, 12:27 AM
San Diego Joe

"Lilly" wrote:

Well, I finally got a peek and some pics of the goldfish. It definitely
looks like something that he ate disagreed with him. From the inside
out, a la the movie Alien. Be warned, if you're eating or have a
squeamish tummy, don't look.

Pic 1, http://www.flickr.com/photos/95599065@N00/27127863/
Pic 2, somewhat humorous,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95599065@N00/27127864/

I'm definitely thinking dragonfly larvae. Anybody else?

Lilly

I don't know what would do that, but I don't think it's a dragonfly larvae.
How big is(was) the fish?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 20-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Lilly

Abut 3.5 to 4.0 inches SL. Not a big one, but not itty bitty either.

I had forgotten how big, and mean looking, those dragonfly larvae are.
Saw one in a pond the other day and it was only half grown. Mean pair
of chompers on those bugs.

The other two continue to ramble around the "lake", happily munching
their way through Summer Camp. It seems that they have enough to eat
without our intervention. In their glass house, they gobbled whatever I
offered, in the pond they could care less about what hits the surface.
Oh they'll check it out, maybe snack a little but it's different.

I can't wait to see how they look when they come back in. And the
tropicals I put out there should be extra nice looking too (Cherry
Barbs and Pearl Gourami).

Old 22-07-2005, 08:09 PM
///Owen\\\\\\

What do dragonfly larva look like???