GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   String Alge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/9685-string-alge.html)

[email protected] 07-03-2003 05:46 AM

String Alge

Last year was our first year with a pond. The only real problem I had was
with string alge. I took armfuls out and the prefilters for the pumps needed
cleaning every day. So how do I rid my pond of string alge? Any help would
be appreciated.

Lee Brouillet 07-03-2003 02:21 PM

String Alge

Jim, when you figure *that* out, you will make a fortune: it's the bane of
every pond owners' existence. Let's see: there's barley straw (but where I
live - Central FL - it gets too warm and the straw disintegrates, creating
more of a mess!); there's salt (but too much is not good for flora nor
fauna: I would scrub the rocks down with non-iodized table salt when I was
doing other maintenance (read: no pump running), and that would work for a
week or so. It kinda works like scouring powder); some folks have tried 1/4
tsp. alum per 1,000 gals. of water - and that's helped them; you can heavily
plant with other vegetation that will (try to) outcompete the string algae
for the nutrients, and you can try to control your nitrAtes with a trickle
tower (which is what I'm gonna try THIS year). The problem is, what works
for me may not work for you due to differences in our weather, sun, and
water conditions, and vice versa. The only common denominator is that
everyone gets string algae and everyone wants to get rid of it. It makes a
nice addition to a compost pile, however (the only GOOD thing I can say
about it!)

Good Luck!
Lee

ble.rogers.com...

volts500 08-03-2003 02:20 AM

String Alge

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
[...]

String algae doesn't stand a chance against a Plecostom*us catfish in the
pond, and they will survive a Central Florida winter.....just don't step on
them Lee :-)

~ jan 08-03-2003 07:57 PM

String Alge

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 05:36:17 GMT, wrote:

Last year was our first year with a pond. The only real problem I had was
with string alge. I took armfuls out and the prefilters for the pumps needed
cleaning every day. So how do I rid my pond of string alge? Any help would
be appreciated.

Poor String Algae (SA) it is so misunderstood. :'o(

Folks never appreciate the fact that when it arrives it brings wiht it
clear water. ;o) Kidding aside, quite simply your pond is maturing, more
plants, sometimes less fish, though SA will show up in any new pond even
with a low fish load. Older ponds, with bigger fish can quit feeding and
let the fish work on it. Pull anything long, loose or floating on the
surface, at which time it is called blanket weed, out with a small plastic
shrub rake.

Anything long and wavy under the surface should be imagine as "Magic Rocks"
remember those? Green stalagmites, if you don't. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Gregory Young 09-03-2003 07:34 PM

String Alge

Great answer Jan!
I love the magic rocks bit..
Later,
Greg

"~ jan" wrote in message
s.com...

Sue 10-03-2003 07:12 AM

String Alge

I know this sounds silly but it works. Take a broom stick and start
rolling The alge( as you would spaghetti on a fork). It will take away
the major amount.
I have only had to do this once. My pond has filters, fish and
waterfalls, which keep it clean.
Sue Fallberg from Dallas, Texas. :)