Old 05-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Roy

Default Triple half barrel setup

Been running for awhile now, We just added two more additional half
barrels to her exisiting one barrel setyp on the patio, and relocated
the small koi we initialy had in one barrelw ith 2 feeder GF, so that
the lowest bottom barrel with lilly plant etc in it is now home to a
herd of fancy guppies, and the middle barrel also with lilly and other
plants has been home to a male and female betta for some time as well,
both peacefully co-existing....that is until they spawned and I
removed the female to the lower barrel with the guppies. This is the
second spawning of bettas we have had in this triple half barrel setup
this year. The guppies are alway spawning. I later collect all the
fry, and trade them in to the owner of the LFS for merchandise. Yea,
he usually always comes out ahead, but its still lots of fun to watch
the fish see em grow, don't really feed em much of anything and its an
outlet for excess fish as well..Before putting the triple half barrels
together I used to raise them up in tanks or a bunch of kiddie pools
and it got old fast.......now its fun again and more or less an all
natural environment. Each half barel also has a cory catfish as well
as a weather od dojo loach in it and large snail. The weather or Dohjo
loaches over winter just fine, even in temps as low as the 30's.
Everything else in the line of tropicals get moved indoors or placed
in a heated tank outside over our winter season, which really is not
much to worry about as far as it getting cold.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 05-07-2005, 01:35 PM
2pods

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds exactly what I'd like to do except for the winter temps here
(Scotland).
I pulled our 4 dojos in from the small pond last October, and that was a
pain !
Sat in the dark with a net and torch like a garden gnome :-)

Peter

Old 05-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Paul

That sounds exactly what I'd like to do except for the winter temps here
(Scotland).
I pulled our 4 dojos in from the small pond last October, and that was a
pain !
Sat in the dark with a net and torch like a garden gnome :-)

Peter

I use the same fishing technique if you have a maglite you can put it
under the water which I find helps

Paul
Old 05-07-2005, 02:31 PM
2pods

I use the same fishing technique if you have a maglite you can put it
under the water which I find helps

Paul

I think it all depends on what colour toadstool you're sitting on ;-)

Seriously, sinking Cory pellets will fetch them out everytime.

Peter

Old 05-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Roy

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:35:03 +0100, "2pods" wrote:

snip

Yep. When I originally bought those dojo's I had been going to put the
three barrels up that year, but Hurricane Ivan came along, so the
dojo's were all put in one barrel......Then after getting one more
barrel setup, catching the dojo to put in it was a chore, even in a
20 gal half barrel..........then I had to repeat the ame thing again
with the third barrel.......Now I trap em. It still takes a little
time, and its a wiating game but it usually works. I sink a small
plastic soft drink or bottle water container with a string tied to
the neck into the barrel half or preform, after placing some bait in
it. I use sinking crumbles for bait. Give it a while and keep looking,
and when the loach is in the bottle eating the bait just pull up the
bottle with the string.

===