Old 07-03-2003, 05:32 PM
joe

Default String Algae

Lee Brouillet wrote:

a trickle
tower (which is what I'm gonna try THIS year).

More information please. What's a trickle tower?

Joe

Old 07-03-2003, 06:20 PM
EliezerE

For what it's worth, I expanded my veggie filter and planted watercress, and as
soon as the watercress took a firm hold, the string algae disappeared.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

I wish I could give you the science behind it: I just know that many swear
by them, and some even use massive versions of a TT as their sole source of
filtration. Basically, a trickle tower (TT) is a tall, open structure (it
can be a shell made of lava rock, it can be a tube made from aluminum
fencing, it can be anything), into which bio media is placed, such as more
lava rock, bio balls, matala matting, whatever. The water flows through the
media, from the top and out the bottom WITHOUT EVER LETTING THE WATER STAND
IN THE TUBE. It's a wet/dry filter. Do a search on google or something for
"trickle towers" and you'll find more info than you ever dreamed of.

Lee

Old 08-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I use Algaefix also. It works wonder. You do need to clean out the dead
algae so that their decaying does not over-nutrient the pond. Also you need
to add more plants and shade to help control the algae after the algae fix
helps you to survive the spring algae bloom.

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

"joe" wrote in message

Last year was our first year with a pond. The only real problem I had

was
with string alge. I took armfuls out and the prefilters for the pumps

needed
cleaning every day. So how do I rid my pond of string alge? Any help

would
be appreciated.

I use a chemical called algae fix. It's kind of expensive, but gives

instant
results. It's not the "in harmony with nature" result I would prefer, but

it
sure works.

Joe "Modern living through Chemistry" Boldt