Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Default Lily Contest

We need a little competition in here that is actually POND related.

So, tomorrow morning after the lilies open, you are to go out and count
each one and supply the name and how many blooms (if more than 1). There
will be 2 winners. 1 for whoever has the most lilies open and 1 to whoever
has the most different varieties (and can give their names) open. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 12-07-2005, 12:12 AM
kathy

jan wrote and can give their names

Does white, pink, that one you gave me
last year count?

kathy ;-)
(the pathetic ponder)

Old 12-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Roy

That leaves me out for most of mine, as to me they are yellow, white
red, etc etc.....Last week however I had 68, 75, 86 blooms out at
once, with one yellow having 7 blooms........Yesterday i counted right
at 98 total blooms........I have a hard enough time remembering
peoples names....... I just poted about the tropicals I have but would
have to look ata the papers to see what they are named again except
for the Dauben.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:51:46 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===We need a little competition in here that is actually POND related.
===
===So, tomorrow morning after the lilies open, you are to go out and count
===each one and supply the name and how many blooms (if more than 1). There
===will be 2 winners. 1 for whoever has the most lilies open and 1 to whoever
===has the most different varieties (and can give their names) open. ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Does white, pink, that one you gave me
last year count?
kathy ;-)

You'll be in the first contest. Number of blooms open.

(Shaking head, muttering, "I should have expected such a question from
K30." s) ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 12-07-2005, 05:17 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Roy, you are totally disqualified for owning a LAKE. ;-) I still expect you
to go count them all tomorrow and let us know what we should strive for....
someday. ~ jan

Old 12-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Charles

wrote:

We need a little competition in here that is actually POND related.

So, tomorrow morning after the lilies open, you are to go out and count
each one and supply the name and how many blooms (if more than 1). There
will be 2 winners. 1 for whoever has the most lilies open and 1 to whoever
has the most different varieties (and can give their names) open. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

I've been helping out at a pond retailer. We have 11 ponds with lots
of blooms. Can I count there?

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:55 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:20:02 GMT, Charles wrote:

I've been helping out at a pond retailer. We have 11 ponds with lots
of blooms. Can I count there?

You and Roy can compete against each other. How's that? ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 12-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

We need a little competition in here that is actually POND related.

So, tomorrow morning after the lilies open, you are to go out and count
each one and supply the name and how many blooms (if more than 1). There
will be 2 winners. 1 for whoever has the most lilies open and 1 to whoever
has the most different varieties (and can give their names) open. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

When do I count the night bloomers?? They close up during the day!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Gary Woods

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

So, tomorrow morning after the lilies open, you are to go out and count
each one and supply the name and how many blooms (if more than 1)

This is a 2/3 acre "farm" pond; not particularly large by local standards.
For those with too much time on their hands, there are pictures in need of
updating on my personal page in the .sig.

And a word of explanation- several years ago, the hardy lilies and a couple
of lotus were neglected for a couple of seasons. As was life in general...
it doesn't need re-hashing at this point. Some of the plastic pails
cracked and the plants established themselves in the earth bottom; they
haven't spread enough to meet the definition of "weed," so I'm letting them
be for the time being. "Potted" means in a 3-gallon pail of the sort donut
filling, etc. comes in.
Right now, the first flush of blooms has passed; there were many more a
couple of weeks ago. The lilies have all been fed with Lilypons
"Lilytabs," and there should be more flowers soon.

Naturalized "Sumptuosa" 1'X8' bed: 2 blooms
3 potted "Sumptuosa" 2 blooms
6 potted "Fabiola" 6 blooms
Naturalized "Fabiola" 15' X 8' bed, 8 blooms
Yellow bog iris in the margins: 1 bloom (it's just finishing a nice show; I
got these from Lilypons some years ago, and they've spread to perhaps 8'
along the banks by a couple of feet wide).

Not blooming, but have earlier:
Joey Tomochik
Virginalis
These are not nearly as vigorous as "Fabiola," which at its peak has 4-5
blooms on each plant.

Unknown White Lotus (Lilypons sent as a replacement, promised to identify
when theirs bloomed, didn't). Has a bunch of aerial leaves; expecting
flower buds Real Soon Now.
Lotus "Mrs. Slocum" new this spring; growing well with several aerial
leaves; I'm hoping against hope.

Bonus: Walter the Koi was seen swimming under the bed of escaped "Fabiola"
lilies in the company of a bunch of teen-age bass. I only see hem when I'm
not looking for him..

And that's the news from Duanesburg, where the men are distinguished, the
women are good looking, and the children are grown, paid for, and moved
out.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:16 PM
dt

Gary Woods wrote:

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

So, tomorrow morning after the lilies open, you are to go out and count
each one and supply the name and how many blooms (if more than 1)

This is a 2/3 acre "farm" pond; not particularly large by local standards.
For those with too much time on their hands, there are pictures in need of
updating on my personal page in the .sig.

(snip)

Jan may decide to disqualify you along with Roy for lakeness, but thanks
for the pix. "No vampires", indeed!

And for the rest of y'all let me just say, "JPEGS! We want jpegs!" ;-)

Dale
(near Austin, TX. 150 gallons, 18 "feeder" goldfish, 1 elephant ear
"rescued" from the river)
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Old 12-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Derek Broughton

Gary Woods wrote:

Some of the plastic pails
cracked and the plants established themselves in the earth bottom; they
haven't spread enough to meet the definition of "weed," so I'm letting

LOL. A weed is defined as any plant that's in a place where you don't want
it. As long as you're happy with lilies & lotuses, I guess they're not
weeds! :-)

Lotus "Mrs. Slocum" new this spring; growing well with several aerial
leaves; I'm hoping against hope.

That's tough as nails, and I don't think it's a forlorn hope.

And that's the news from Duanesburg, where the men are distinguished, the

Distinguished by what, one might ask?

--
derek
Old 12-07-2005, 06:48 PM
kathy

Went out to the bog, no lilies blooming.
Went over to the pond, ONE lily blooming.
Pink. ;-)

Lily, the turtle, was in her Command Post, where
she keeps watch on the pond. Saw me, jumped (well,
a turtle type 'jump') in the water and swam right on
over. FEED ME!

I suspect Lily ate all other available lily blooms for
today. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ bladderwort

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

7 Varieties, 8 blooms.

Gloriosa
Splendida (2)
Peaches & Creme
Black Princess
Gyspy
Hollandia
Panana Pacific (opened under the surface, what's with that?)

~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Under LARGE ponds, competing with Roy, Gary claims:

This is a 2/3 acre "farm" pond;

Sumptuosa 4 blooms
Fabiola 14 blooms

Total - 18 blooming (did I get that right?)

Night bloomers, count if open last night/this morning. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 12-07-2005, 10:03 PM
2pods

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Went out to the bog, no lilies blooming.
Went over to the pond, ONE lily blooming.
Pink. ;-)

That's all I have so far, one pink flower :-(
Still, the other two lilies are pushing up buds and there are more on the
original.

There's nothing doing with my dwarf tropical in the half barrel. It's still
growing, but 'cos I had it in the freshwater tank and cut the floating pads,
it just grows buds on the floor of it's pot :-)

Peter