GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Helpa Pond Newbie (please) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/97287-helpa-pond-newbie-please.html)

[email protected] 12-07-2005 02:34 AM

Helpa Pond Newbie (please)

I bought a house with a man made pond about 15' in diameter. 60% of
the surface covered with either pond plants or shade from surrounding
trees. I have a waterfall pump circulating water from one side through
a hose to the other side where it spills it back into the pond.
Unfortuneatly, the surface has been growing a green algae and also
thousands of tiny yellow/green seeds or leaves are in the pond. Are
those tiny seeds part of the algae or a product of one of the pond
foliage? I currently don't have any fish in the pond; would adding
fish make that go away? If not, what can I do to keep it relatively
clean?
thanks!!

~ janj JJsPond.us 12-07-2005 05:23 AM

On 11 Jul 2005 18:34:50 -0700, wrote:

I bought a house with a man made pond about 15' in diameter. 60% of
the surface covered with either pond plants or shade from surrounding
trees. I have a waterfall pump circulating water from one side through
a hose to the other side where it spills it back into the pond.
Unfortuneatly, the surface has been growing a green algae and also
thousands of tiny yellow/green seeds or leaves are in the pond. Are
those tiny seeds part of the algae or a product of one of the pond
foliage? I currently don't have any fish in the pond; would adding
fish make that go away? If not, what can I do to keep it relatively
clean?
thanks!!

Can you take a picture and post it to a website? I'm wondering if you have
duckweed rather than algae. Google for a picture of that or Azolla. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Courageous 12-07-2005 05:33 AM

I bought a house with a man made pond about 15' in diameter. 60% of
the surface covered with either pond plants or shade from surrounding
trees. I have a waterfall pump circulating water from one side through
a hose to the other side where it spills it back into the pond.
Unfortuneatly, the surface has been growing a green algae and also
thousands of tiny yellow/green seeds or leaves are in the pond. Are
those tiny seeds part of the algae or a product of one of the pond
foliage? I currently don't have any fish in the pond; would adding
fish make that go away? If not, what can I do to keep it relatively
clean?
thanks!!

Can you take a picture and post it to a website? I'm wondering if you have
duckweed rather than algae. Google for a picture of that or Azolla. ~ jan

I'd think you're right on this.

This is my favorite duckweed page, quite comprehensive:

http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/duckweed.htm

As for the getting rid of it, Koi might eat it. Or they might not.

Duckweed appreciates still water, so upping the tempo on the waterfall
might help.

Finally, whatever it is -- Duckweed or not! -- requires nutrients to
grow. That it's growing so heavily implies nutrient-laden water

Get a bigger filter. You don't have to buy one, read he

http://www.pondsolutions.com/bog_filter.htm

And he

As a last resort (only look to this /after/ proper biofiltration
is in place for your pond), read he

http://www.emperoraquatics.com/whati...rilization.php

C//

Reel Mckoi 12-07-2005 05:49 AM

"Courageous" wrote in message
Finally, whatever it is -- Duckweed or not! -- requires nutrients to
grow. That it's growing so heavily implies nutrient-laden water

Get a bigger filter. You don't have to buy one, read he

http://www.pondsolutions.com/bog_filter.htm

==========================
Or you can make your own from a Rubbermaid water trough for about $50, hoses
and bulkheads included. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

~ janj JJsPond.us 12-07-2005 05:54 AM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:33:04 -0700, Courageous wrote:

This is my favorite duckweed page, quite comprehensive:

http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/duckweed.htm

Excellent!

Finally, whatever it is -- Duckweed or not! -- requires nutrients to
grow. That it's growing so heavily implies nutrient-laden water

I don't know about that, I use it in my containers holding plants only to
keep the algae from growing, no fish in the containers. Seems water and
sunlight is about all it needs to flourish.

I would think a skimmer would help a lot. One might have to manually skim
it off, but a mechanical skimmer would (hopefully) get the remaining ones.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

[email protected] 12-07-2005 12:54 PM

Hi - thanks for the website. I do indeed have a duckweed problem :(.
I planted several more water liles yesterday so hopefully they will use
up the nutrients instead of the duckweed. I'm not prepared at this
point to go digging trenches etc. next to the pond to solve this
problem - is there some way to kill the duckweed off? If not can
anyone suggest a solution that doesn't involve digging trenches or
spending hundreds of dollars? I don't mind the algae blooms because I
think they will go away on their own, but the duckweed is getting
worse.
thanks!

Wilmdale 12-07-2005 02:25 PM

Courageous wrote:

[...]

Now THAT's a lot of duck weed!!! :-) .
I am just so happy that mine is starting to grow! We are now at the 1/2
point of our ponding season. Next month when things start to cool of
late August, stuff won't be growing so much and the winters here kill
all the duck weed, wh, w lettuce, and anything aquatic that cannot be
submerged. But who is thinking about that now? Not me! Oh, no, not
me! :-P .
W. Dale

Wilmdale 12-07-2005 02:28 PM

wrote:

Hi - thanks for the website. I do indeed have a duckweed problem :(.
I planted several more water liles yesterday so hopefully they will use
up the nutrients instead of the duckweed. I'm not prepared at this
point to go digging trenches etc. next to the pond to solve this
problem - is there some way to kill the duckweed off? If not can
anyone suggest a solution that doesn't involve digging trenches or
spending hundreds of dollars? I don't mind the algae blooms because I
think they will go away on their own, but the duckweed is getting
worse.
thanks!

You might try netting as much a possible and putting in in your flower
beds or something, cut back a bit on the feeding of your koi, and maybe,
just maybe, they will start to eat the duck weed. I keep the duck weed
in my veggie filter and sometimes some gets into the main pond. Does
not last long.
W. Dale

RichToyBox 12-07-2005 02:54 PM

If you can overflow the pond, then use the hose as a broom and sweep the
duckweed over the edge. It may not get rid of all of it, but will get rid
of a lot. If you have municipal water, then be sure to dechlor.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

[email protected] 12-07-2005 02:59 PM

Hi - thanks for the response - firstly, I have water lilies and such in
the pond and can't just sweep the hose over the top. Second, if it
won't get all the duckweed, won't it just grow back in a few days
anyway? What would be the effect of adding some goldfish (to eat the
duckweed)? Would I need to keep the waterfall pump running all winter
(zone 4/5) if I did that so the fish don't die?
thanks!

RichToyBox wrote:
If you can overflow the pond, then use the hose as a broom and sweep the
duckweed over the edge. It may not get rid of all of it, but will get rid
of a lot. If you have municipal water, then be sure to dechlor.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

RichToyBox 12-07-2005 03:05 PM

For winter, the pump can be set such that the discharge is pointed towards
the surface, just breaking the surface to keep a hole in the ice. If that
is not sufficient, then a deicer may be needed. A hole is necessary to
allow gas exchange, to get oxygen in the pond and dissipate the toxic
gasses. Some in the colder climes, move the fish inside for the winter and
shut everything down.

When I said sweep the hose across the surface, what I meant was to take the
stream of water from the hose and use it like a broom. It should not hurt
the lilies, and definitely won't hurt any of the other plants.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

RichToyBox wrote:
If you can overflow the pond, then use the hose as a broom and sweep the
duckweed over the edge. It may not get rid of all of it, but will get
rid
of a lot. If you have municipal water, then be sure to dechlor.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

[email protected] 12-07-2005 03:40 PM

hmm if I remove the hose and set the discharge upwards, it will shoot a
fountain into the air a few feet.. Also, will I risk ruining the pump
if I keep it in the pond over the winter? It's about 12" from the
surface (it's a shallow pond) and I'm in NE Ohio.
thanks.

RichToyBox wrote:
For winter, the pump can be set such that the discharge is pointed towards
the surface, just breaking the surface to keep a hole in the ice. If that
is not sufficient, then a deicer may be needed. A hole is necessary to
allow gas exchange, to get oxygen in the pond and dissipate the toxic
gasses. Some in the colder climes, move the fish inside for the winter and
shut everything down.

When I said sweep the hose across the surface, what I meant was to take the
stream of water from the hose and use it like a broom. It should not hurt
the lilies, and definitely won't hurt any of the other plants.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

RichToyBox wrote:
If you can overflow the pond, then use the hose as a broom and sweep the
duckweed over the edge. It may not get rid of all of it, but will get
rid
of a lot. If you have municipal water, then be sure to dechlor.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

Derek Broughton 12-07-2005 05:27 PM

wrote:

Hi - thanks for the response - firstly, I have water lilies and such in
the pond and can't just sweep the hose over the top.

Sure you can. Lilies are tougher than that.

Second, if it
won't get all the duckweed, won't it just grow back in a few days
anyway?

It doesn't grow _quite_ that fast :-)

What would be the effect of adding some goldfish (to eat the
duckweed)?

That would help.

Would I need to keep the waterfall pump running all winter
(zone 4/5) if I did that so the fish don't die?

No. If your pond is deeper than a couple of feet (3' would be even better),
you should have no trouble with the goldfish, and the waterfall would be
_more_ likely to cause problems, rather than less.
--
derek

[email protected] 12-07-2005 09:02 PM

Most of my pond floor is about 12" under water - a little area is 18"
or so. I will probably have to move all the liles into the 18" area
for them to survive the winter which wouldn't leave any room for the
pump/fish. Can the lilies survive here (NE Ohio) in the 12" water (top
of the planter only 6" from the surface)? That would leave me room for
the pump and fish lower down...

~ janj JJsPond.us 12-07-2005 11:48 PM

On 12 Jul 2005 13:02:31 -0700, wrote:

Most of my pond floor is about 12" under water - a little area is 18"
or so. I will probably have to move all the liles into the 18" area
for them to survive the winter which wouldn't leave any room for the
pump/fish. Can the lilies survive here (NE Ohio) in the 12" water (top
of the planter only 6" from the surface)? That would leave me room for
the pump and fish lower down...

Forget the pump, sounds like it may be too strong to use. An air pump w/air
stone and a stock tank heater (w/guard), and a stock tank heater backup,
may be the better way for you to go. Now a stock tank heater would only be
needed when really cold, but with only 12-18" to store your lilies in, an
Zone 4/5, you'll need one just to keep them alive, not just the goldfish.
The lilies will be fine as long as the crowns don't freeze. A stock tank
heater will keep the ice layer from getting too thick.

Goldfish, since you're looking for something to eat the duckweed and
not be too prolific I recommend getting some fantails over feeder goldfish.
They eat just as much duckweed (don't feed them) and if you do get too many
they are much easier to catch. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~