Old 12-07-2005, 05:29 PM
pixi

Default Gallons of Water

Is there a kind soul out there who knows math better than I do. I have a
fairly high IQ but my ability in math is about zero. For example. Many
years ago I took a course called "Drugs and Solutions." We were given a
test which was mostly math. I got half of them wrong. At the end of the
course they gave us the exact same test again. Again I got half wrong. But
it was the other half.

My pond is 12 x 14 feet . I top it off with about two inches of water evry
couple of days. Can someone, anyone, please tell me how many gallons this
would be.

Brilliant Pixi

Old 12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Andy Hill

"pixi" wrote:
My pond is 12 x 14 feet . I top it off with about two inches of water evry
couple of days. Can someone, anyone, please tell me how many gallons this
would be.

If rectangular, that's roughly 210 gallons. If oval, roughly 165 gallons

Old 12-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Lilly

Calculating pond/tank volume is really quite easy. Certainly easier
than calculating solutions!

In inches, length x width x depth = some random number, then divide it
by 231 and it gives you the volume in question. In your case that would
be 144 x 168 x 2 = 48,284 divided by 231 = 209.46 gallons give or take.

Lilly

Old 13-07-2005, 12:04 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Calculating pond/tank volume is really quite easy. Certainly easier
than calculating solutions!

In inches, length x width x depth = some random number, then divide it
by 231 and it gives you the volume in question. In your case that would
be 144 x 168 x 2 = 48,284 divided by 231 = 209.46 gallons give or take.
Lilly

That's what I came out with, only I turned the inches in to a decimal foot
of .16666............. 12 X 14 X .1666 X 7.48 and came out with same
answer. ;o) Aaaah, the wonders of math & numbers. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 13-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Gale Pearce

Is there a kind soul out there who knows math better than I do. I have a
fairly high IQ but my ability in math is about zero. For example. Many
years ago I took a course called "Drugs and Solutions." We were given a
test which was mostly math. I got half of them wrong. At the end of the
course they gave us the exact same test again. Again I got half wrong.

But
it was the other half.

My pond is 12 x 14 feet . I top it off with about two inches of water

evry
couple of days. Can someone, anyone, please tell me how many gallons this

would be.

12 X 14 ft, but how much average depth? - you need all 3 #'s to figure out
gallonage (sp?) - I use L X W X average D X 6.7 for that - if you had a
perfect, straight sided, square pond, - you would use 7.5 instead of 6.7,
but our ponds are slope side and round cornered
JMOO - Gale :~)

Old 13-07-2005, 03:14 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:01:50 -0400, "Gale Pearce"
wrote:

[...]

Two inches was the depth, she wanted to know the gallonage of the
replacement water. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 13-07-2005, 04:47 AM
Courageous

wants to know gallons of top off water

My pond is 12 x 14 feet . I top it off with about two inches of water

1 gallon = 231 cubic inches.

12x14 feet x 2 inches = 12 x 12 x 14 x 12 x 2 = 48384 cubic inches

48384 / 231 = 209.45 gallons.

C//

Old 13-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Lilly

Yes indeed. There isn't always one right forumla.

Back in high school it used to drive my advanced math teacher bonkers
when I would use a different path/formula to reach the same answer. The
way she "taught" I could never grasp the concept(s). At home my dad, a
Civil Engineer, would teach me an alternate way of doing things. I
distinctly remember a conversation where she insisted I do it *her* way
because that was the right way. Uh huh. My Civil Engineer dad, who was
designing fish ladders, calculating stress loads on floors etc, was
apparently doing it all wrong. It's a wonder the projects didn't
collapse. ;-)

For me, simpler is better.

Obligatory pond comment:

The goldfish are happy out there in the pond. They must be stuffing
themselves silly with nature's buffet. My friend tells me they aren't
all that interested in the pellets he's tossing in. The fantail has
figured out how to compress the two fans and use his "one" tail fin to
move faster. The Oranda still bumbles along.

I wonder if they'll be eating the lily blooms that I need for the next
competition. ;-)

Old 13-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Gale Pearce

12 X 14 ft, but how much average depth? - you need all 3 #'s to figure

out
gallonage (sp?) - I use L X W X average D X 6.7 for that - if you had a
perfect, straight sided, square pond, - you would use 7.5 instead of 6.7,
but our ponds are slope side and round cornered
JMOO - Gale :~)

Two inches was the depth, she wanted to know the gallonage of the
replacement water. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Thanks, Jan - I reread the original post 3 or 4 times before answering and
kept saying to myself "am I missing something here", but just couldn't see
what it was that I was missing
Gale :~)

Old 13-07-2005, 01:08 PM
pixi

Thanks to everyone. I could handle the length x width x depth in feet. It
was the inches that threw me.

Believe it or not, I took algebra. geometry, and trig in high school.
Passed them, barely. In geometry the teacher said she was going to teach me
geometry if it was the last thing she ever did. She retired at the end of
the year.

I can still remember some theorems but wish now I had paid more attention.
I think geometry would be such a fantastic think to know.

Old 13-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Andy Hill

"pixi" wrote:
Thanks to everyone. I could handle the length x width x depth in feet. It
was the inches that threw me.

You just want all the dimensional units to be the same. In this case, two of
the dimensions were in feet, so the easiest way was to covert the inches to
feet, also. e.g., 2 inches is the same as (2/12) feet.

Old 13-07-2005, 06:10 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

In geometry the teacher said she was going to teach me
geometry if it was the last thing she ever did. She retired at the end of
the year.
"pixi"

ROFLOL!!! ) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~