GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Latest fry photos (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/97348-latest-fry-photos.html)

Andy 13-07-2005 10:26 AM

Latest fry photos

Hi,

A few new pictures of the bigger fry are he

http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_a.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_b.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_c.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_d.jpg

They've been feasting on mosquito and phantom midge larvae which I've
been bringing from various tanks in the garden by the net full.

--
Andy

Hal 13-07-2005 01:44 PM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:26:10 +0100, Andy wrote:

http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_a.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_b.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_c.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_d.jpg

They've been feasting on mosquito and phantom midge larvae which I've
been bringing from various tanks in the garden by the net full.

Great pictures!

I understand they like hard boiled egg yolk too.

Regards,

Hal

Reel Mckoi 13-07-2005 04:08 PM

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi,

A few new pictures of the bigger fry are he

http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_a.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_b.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_c.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_d.jpg

===============================
These are really nice clear pictures. They don't look like my goldfish and
koi fry. What are these? Are they goldfish or koi? Both?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Andy 13-07-2005 05:56 PM

Reel Mckoi wrote:

These are really nice clear pictures. They don't look like my goldfish and
koi fry. What are these? Are they goldfish or koi? Both?

The mother is a shubunkin, fathers are comets, shubunkins, goldfish.

There are 3 more images up now:

http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_e.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_f.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_g.jpg

The first two show a shubunkin with far more obvious colouring.

--
Andy

Reel Mckoi 13-07-2005 07:31 PM

"Andy" wrote in message
The mother is a shubunkin, fathers are comets, shubunkins, goldfish.

There are 3 more images up now:

http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_e.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_f.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_g.jpg

The first two show a shubunkin with far more obvious colouring.

==================================
These are really good pics! The first two are familiar. I have some like
that. Most of my goldfish are the matte calico Shubunkins (not the metallic
type) and I still have a few Sarassas.

When I look in the pools now I can tell the koi from the goldfish fry. I
don't have a camera that takes good close-ups unfortunately.

Andy 13-07-2005 09:09 PM

Reel Mckoi wrote:

These are really good pics! The first two are familiar. I have some like
that. Most of my goldfish are the matte calico Shubunkins (not the metallic
type) and I still have a few Sarassas.

The metallic, I suspect, is just the fish showing natural colouring
mixed in with some more exotic hues. There are two that look
bronze/silver with one having an thin orange stripe along its back. I'm
keen to see how these two turn out when they're bigger, hopefully the
metallic qualities will stay.

When I look in the pools now I can tell the koi from the goldfish fry. I

I don't have any koi fry to compare with. Maybe next year :)

don't have a camera that takes good close-ups unfortunately.

My pics were taken with a Canon EOS-300D (digital rebel for US readers)
with the 18-55mm lens.

--
Andy

~ janj JJsPond.us 13-07-2005 09:57 PM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:56:39 +0100, Andy wrote:

The mother is a shubunkin, fathers are comets, shubunkins, goldfish.

There are 3 more images up now:

http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_e.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_f.jpg
http://www.pxl8.co.uk/fry_g.jpg

The first two show a shubunkin with far more obvious colouring.

Andy, Super pictures, about how big/long are they in these pics?
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

dt 13-07-2005 10:29 PM

Andy wrote:

Reel Mckoi wrote:

These are really good pics! The first two are familiar. I have
some like
that. Most of my goldfish are the matte calico Shubunkins (not the
metallic
type) and I still have a few Sarassas.

The metallic, I suspect, is just the fish showing natural colouring
mixed in with some more exotic hues. There are two that look
bronze/silver with one having an thin orange stripe along its back.
I'm keen to see how these two turn out when they're bigger, hopefully
the metallic qualities will stay.

When I look in the pools now I can tell the koi from the goldfish
fry. I

I don't have any koi fry to compare with. Maybe next year :)

don't have a camera that takes good close-ups unfortunately.

My pics were taken with a Canon EOS-300D (digital rebel for US
readers) with the 18-55mm lens.

Oooh, now I *am* jealous! No wonder the pix are so good.

DT

http://www.thehungersite.com/

Andy 13-07-2005 11:52 PM

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

Andy, Super pictures, about how big/long are they in these pics?

Nose to tail I guess they're about 1 1/4 inches, 7 weeks old.

--
Andy

Reel Mckoi 14-07-2005 02:32 AM

"Andy" wrote in message
Reel Mckoi wrote:

These are really good pics! The first two are familiar. I have some

like
that. Most of my goldfish are the matte calico Shubunkins (not the

metallic
type) and I still have a few Sarassas.

The metallic, I suspect, is just the fish showing natural colouring
mixed in with some more exotic hues. There are two that look
bronze/silver with one having an thin orange stripe along its back. I'm
keen to see how these two turn out when they're bigger, hopefully the
metallic qualities will stay.

$$ You will find the shubunkin's colors change so much as they mature.
That to me is part of the fun of raising them. :-) You never know what
you're going to get.

When I look in the pools now I can tell the koi from the goldfish fry.

I don't have any koi fry to compare with. Maybe next year :)

$$ They're the cutest little buggers, tame and friendly and the colors are
a surprise as in the Shubunkin goldfish.

don't have a camera that takes good close-ups unfortunately.

My pics were taken with a Canon EOS-300D (digital rebel for US readers)
with the 18-55mm lens.

$$ Lucky you! I have a regular digital HP. It takes fine pics but
close-ups are not real great. We don't take enough pics to make it worth
our while to buy a good expensive camera. Please keep us updated on the
growth of your fry. :-)))

Reel Mckoi 14-07-2005 02:36 AM

"Andy" wrote in message
~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

Andy, Super pictures, about how big/long are they in these pics?

Nose to tail I guess they're about 1 1/4 inches, 7 weeks old.

=====================
They look nice and healthy too! :-)

Andy 14-07-2005 01:06 PM

I was checking on my tubs outside this morning and I found these three
guys hiding inside one.

http://www.pxl8.co.uk/new_guys.jpg

The tub was originally where I put the weed when I rescued it after
spawning. The largest one is a good 1 1/2 inches, guess you can't beat a
natural diet!

I was in Italy in June and brought back a load of duckweed from a
stream, it was full of tiny leeches and I left it the tub for a few
weeks to quarantine - guess the 3 new guys had a nice feast!

--
Andy

Reel Mckoi 14-07-2005 04:17 PM

"Andy" wrote in message
I was checking on my tubs outside this morning and I found these three
guys hiding inside one.

http://www.pxl8.co.uk/new_guys.jpg

The tub was originally where I put the weed when I rescued it after
spawning. The largest one is a good 1 1/2 inches, guess you can't beat a
natural diet!

I was in Italy in June and brought back a load of duckweed from a
stream, it was full of tiny leeches and I left it the tub for a few
weeks to quarantine - guess the 3 new guys had a nice feast!

You got that right! The fry we netted from the large pond 2 weeks ago are
at least 1/3 larger than most of those being raised in the kiddy-pools.
Those in the kiddy pools have plenty of plants and algae to munch on but I
bet every other critter in there was eaten long ago. Their main diet is
commercial goldfish food.