Algae Bar

Old 15-07-2005, 06:17 PM

Location: Pekin, IL
Default Algae Bar

Anyone ever hear of an "Algae Bar" consisting of a short tubular rod like bar with copper ends and silver middle?

It is advertised to be one solution to the problem of pond algae. I bit and purchased one. After about a week my water did clear up and has remained relatively clear since. I am not sure it is a result of the $25 algae bar or the fact that plants, etc. gradually cleared the pond up as would be expected in due course.

Has anyone else had experience with this product?
Old 15-07-2005, 09:39 PM
kathy

Put me down for the plants.
And time.
;-)

Old 15-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Lt. Kizhe Catson

kathy wrote:
Put me down for the plants.
And time.
;-)

Every time I've had green water, it's cleared up within a week. It
*might* be due to me supplementing with potash. Or maybe not.

-- Kizhe

Old 15-07-2005, 10:13 PM
mark Bannister

cbbode wrote:

Anyone ever hear of an "Algae Bar" consisting of a short tubular rod
like bar with copper ends and silver middle?

It is advertised to be one solution to the problem of pond algae. I
bit and purchased one. After about a week my water did clear up and
has remained relatively clear since. I am not sure it is a result of
the $25 algae bar or the fact that plants, etc. gradually cleared the
pond up as would be expected in due course.

Has anyone else had experience with this product?

Copper is not good for fish!
Old 16-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Roy

If stuff like this wa a bona fide real problem solver it would be
sold in more places than an obscure website or late at night on TV.
They throw a lot of terminology that for the most part would go over
99.9% of peoples heads anyhow in actual truth if what thy say wold do
what they claim....I place it along with the Magic of the Piramid, The
Powers of Quartz, The Healing power of Magnets, The cure-all MelaFixx
and a whole host of other useless propaganda and junk

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:13:57 -0500, mark Bannister
wrote:

===cbbode wrote:
===
=== Anyone ever hear of an "Algae Bar" consisting of a short tubular rod
=== like bar with copper ends and silver middle?
===
=== It is advertised to be one solution to the problem of pond algae. I
=== bit and purchased one. After about a week my water did clear up and
=== has remained relatively clear since. I am not sure it is a result of
=== the $25 algae bar or the fact that plants, etc. gradually cleared the
=== pond up as would be expected in due course.
===
=== Has anyone else had experience with this product?
===
===
===
===Copper is not good for fish!

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 16-07-2005, 01:48 AM
Reel Mckoi

"cbbode" wrote in message

Anyone ever hear of an "Algae Bar" consisting of a short tubular rod
like bar with copper ends and silver middle?

=========================
I wouldn't put copper in any tank or pond that contains fish. My ponds go
through the green water phase but it seldom lasts more than 2 weeks. I say
use the $25 for more pond plants and bypass this "Algae Bar."
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 16-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Courageous

I wouldn't put copper in any tank or pond that contains fish

OP should heed these opinions; it's not just the opinion held
here, but everywhere I've read...

Here's a search from the Google machine...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...o ogle+Search

C//

Old 20-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Reel Mckoi

cbbode wrote:
Anyone ever hear of an "Algae Bar" consisting of a short tubular rod
like bar with copper ends and silver middle?

I don't respond to stupid questions like that.
Next your going to ask if Alien communicates with us mortals through PSI
koi.

If we start scalping wetback, they won't cross rio grand.
CR...
Old 21-07-2005, 05:17 AM
T.P. Hjorgenskanski

Reel Mckoi wrote:

cbbode wrote:
Anyone ever hear of an "Algae Bar" consisting of a short tubular rod
like bar with copper ends and silver middle?

I don't respond to stupid questions like that.
Next your going to ask if Alien communicates with us mortals through PSI
koi.

I went to algae bar once. Got really drunk on the stuff. Felt
sea-sick. I was blue-green for a day. Felt like scum.
Old 21-07-2005, 07:11 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:17:57 GMT, T.P. Hjorgenskanski wrote:

Anyone ever hear of an "Algae Bar" .

I went to algae bar once. Got really drunk on the stuff. Felt
sea-sick. I was blue-green for a day. Felt like scum.

Now that was clever. ) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 15-07-2013, 04:34 PM

I've been a HUGE fan of Algae Bars for about 7 years now, but I need a couple of new bars and I can't seem to find them anymore. If anybody out there finds them on line I'd appreciate a pointer --

I have a 10,000 gal Koi pond and I've had two bars in my filter system continuously for 7 years. It works through copper/silver ionization. People have asked me if I'm worried about the levels of copper that might get into the water using these bars, especially since I have some very expensive koi in my pond. The answer is no, because I continuously test my water for copper, Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, KH, O2, etc, and I've never had a problem with too much copper due to the bars.

You put them in and through normal electrolysis, copper ions are released into the water. Within 5 days, my pond is always clear. I check the levels of copper and it's always well below anything that would hurt the fish and other plants. Only the floating, single cell algae seems to be effected. After the algae bloom clears, I continue to check the level of copper in the water and it never seems to go any higher. I think what's happening is I'm getting just enough copper ions to do the job and then over time the electrolysis slows to a stop because I get a layer oxidation on the bars that slow their effectiveness. Hey - so long as the algae is gone and the levels of copper are not increasing... I'm happy.

In the middle of summer, and especially after a really hard rain, I might get one or two more algae blooms. When that happens, I simply open the filter pot, remove the algae bars, and give them a light brushing with some steel wool to clean off the oxidation, I put them back in again and within 3 days the algae is gone. I LOVE these things!

I'm looking for some some new ones now because I've worn off some of the sliver with my brushing and they're not as effective as I know they can be. If anybody sees them out there... please point me!

Algae Control Elaine T Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 21-06-2005 09:10 AM
Rec.ponds FAQ Snooze Ponds 7 11-04-2005 07:04 AM
Algae control poll Tony Volk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 23-01-2005 10:06 AM
you think you have problems with algae! Bob Koerber Ponds 1 30-09-2004 08:36 PM