Old 15-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Dana Segler

Default Green clean

Is anyone familiar with "green clean" for algae control?

Old 15-07-2005, 05:03 PM
kathy

Went and looked it up.
Green Clean is an algaecide
and we don't really recommend using
algaecides as it makes lots of suddenly
dead algae and adds to the bio-load of
your pond. Also using an algaecide does
not remedy the original problem which got
you an overload of algae in the first place.

Green Water is caused by single cell free floating suspended in the
water column algae. String algae is long, flowing, likes moving water
and has some body to it. Substrate algae is like a fuzzy green sweater
and grows on rocks, liners, plant baskets, and is considered a good
algae as it keeps the suspended and string algae at bay. It also hosts
lots of tiny zoo plankton, insect larvae, worms and other tasties that
are good for fish to consume along with their veggies (the algae).

All algae thrives on sun, fresh water, fish waste, fertilized run off,
rotting plants and blown in dirt. In new ponds and spring ponds algae
is always the first thing to start growing.

The best defense against algae is to have lots of plants to compete for

the nutrients, few fish, not overfeeding those fish, some shade,
blocking run off and cleaning up debris.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the rat-tail maggot!

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 15-07-2005, 09:47 PM
G & K Meyer

I have never had green water just the stuff that builds on the rocks and
every few weeks I hit it with the Green Clean and it seems to help. I first
remove as much as I can from the rocks and then sprinkle it as good as
possible on the algae. I also have barley bags in the streams, that is
what helps the most IMO.
Good luck with the elgae.