Old 18-07-2005, 03:01 AM
kathy

Default Problems with Yellow Jackets

Maybe a different trap.
We once used one and used ham lunch meat.
Worked great.
Or call your county extension agent, you may
be having a banner year in your county this
year.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the rat-tail maggot!

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 18-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
Our pond just turned one year old this month. However, we have a huge
yellow jacket problem. We had our summer algae bloom a few weeks back
but got it under control. What algae we have now is just part of the
ecosystem. Unfortunately, it's attracting the yellow jackets big time.

=================
They come to our ponds to drink (or whatever they're doing) by landing in a
water lily pad. They soon leave. So far no on has been stung. We ignore
them.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 18-07-2005, 01:15 PM
CanadianCowboy©

I hate stinging insects but when my pond went up it was wasp city in and
around as I am a good source of water for them. They even tried building
a nest close by two years in a row which I quickly disposed of.
Chances are is that you do have a nest close by but not visible.
All I can say is to leave them alone and they should leave you alone
especially when you are providing them with food and water.
I tend to do my maintenance later in the day when the wasps are at home.

Otto Pylot wrote:
Our pond just turned one year old this month. However, we have a huge
yellow jacket problem. We had our summer algae bloom a few weeks back
but got it under control. What algae we have now is just part of the
ecosystem. Unfortunately, it's attracting the yellow jackets big time.
They seem to prefer to land on the parrots feather and get water and I
assume the algae that has accumulated there. We've hung those wasp
traps which does work but has not even put a dent in the problem.
Nobody's been stung yet because it appears that the wasps aren't
interested in anything but the water and algae. In fact, they are so
full that they fly slower and will actually run into you without
stinging. I haven't found any nests around our house. Is there anything
that we can do or will they just go away (soon I hope).

Old 18-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Gareee©

Otto Pylot wrote:
Our pond just turned one year old this month. However, we have a huge
yellow jacket problem. We had our summer algae bloom a few weeks back
but got it under control. What algae we have now is just part of the
ecosystem. Unfortunately, it's attracting the yellow jackets big time.
They seem to prefer to land on the parrots feather and get water and I
assume the algae that has accumulated there. We've hung those wasp
traps which does work but has not even put a dent in the problem.
Nobody's been stung yet because it appears that the wasps aren't
interested in anything but the water and algae. In fact, they are so
full that they fly slower and will actually run into you without
stinging. I haven't found any nests around our house. Is there anything
that we can do or will they just go away (soon I hope).

They might be carpenter bees, which look VERY much like yellow jackets.

We recently discovered we had them a week ago.. there are two holes about
1/2 inch diameter in our deck railing.. they actually drill holes, and then
tunnel in pressure treated wood!

We're trying to be rid of them now, but I tend to follow my Mom's advise...
if you don't bother them, they won't bother you...

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 19-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Wilmdale

That is a good suggestion. I recently was working on the plumbing
behind the water fall. Spent hours back there sitting, working,
thinking about how I screwed that up and all and you know. Then one
day, I am just inches away from the lip of my stock tank filter. I see
the 'yellow jacket' looking wasp crawl under the lip. That's odd I
thought. It can't get any water there. So, curious me, I stick my face
down there to see a little nest with one pitiful looking wasp. Nature.
I left it alone, continued working, still go back there just a foot away
from the nest and no problem. I know they are part of the food chain
someway, so I just leave them alone. And now that my external pump with
priming pot is working very well, I don't go back there much except to
look for something else to do. :-P . So, leave em alone and they will
be ok. However, if they are really annoying and you are allergic and
don't want to take the risk, hit 'em in the evening with Raid or with a
torch. You have to be careful not to get the Raid in your water. We
used fire when I was a smaller child living in Laurel, MS.
W. Dale

Old 20-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Hal

Otto Pylot wrote:
Our pond just turned one year old this month. However, we have a huge
yellow jacket problem. We had our summer algae bloom a few weeks back
but got it under control. What algae we have now is just part of the
ecosystem. Unfortunately, it's attracting the yellow jackets big time.
They seem to prefer to land on the parrots feather and get water and I
assume the algae that has accumulated there. We've hung those wasp
traps which does work but has not even put a dent in the problem.
Nobody's been stung yet because it appears that the wasps aren't
interested in anything but the water and algae. In fact, they are so
full that they fly slower and will actually run into you without
stinging. I haven't found any nests around our house. Is there anything
that we can do or will they just go away (soon I hope).

Sorry if I sound like the sky is falling, but if you have the variety
of yellow jackets that build nests in the ground, I would try to find
them and kill them at night while they are on the nest.

Accidentally disturbing one of these nests can cause lots of stings in
a very short time, especially if the person/child runs.

Regards,

Hal
Old 20-07-2005, 02:28 PM
mark Bannister

Sorry if I sound like the sky is falling, but if you have the variety
of yellow jackets that build nests in the ground, I would try to find
them and kill them at night while they are on the nest.

Accidentally disturbing one of these nests can cause lots of stings in
a very short time, especially if the person/child runs.

Regards,

Hal

Sounds like a nest to me as well, which as you say, can be quite
dangerous if you have reactions. You do need to find out if they have
a nest nearby. Following them is the easiest way. They really aren't
that aggressive away from the nest. If you get stung away form the nest
it is usually because you have trapped them against yourself while they
are trying to share your pick nick lunch.
While I don't normally recommend killing out of hand, the best way to
get rid of ground dwelling yellow jackets is to place a large clear
jar/bowl over the opening. It must be clear otherwise they just tunnel
around. You must get it snug to the ground or they go under. They
aren't smart enough to figure out that they need to dig out, because the
bowl is clear. They will starve quickly.
Putting the bowl over the nest can be tricky; do it at night when they
are less active.
They like nice loose soil, like in your garden, but will tunnel anywhere.
Mark B.

Yellow Jackets in siding... help? John North Carolina 16 20-09-2005 01:40 PM
Help-Yellow Jackets!!! Bonnie Gardening 7 30-08-2005 11:56 PM
Yellow Jackets M&K Lawns 26 08-01-2005 06:36 AM
Yellow jackets hovering over the lawn. Chris McCarty Lawns 4 09-08-2003 11:33 AM
Yellow Jackets Julie Gardening 6 01-05-2003 03:32 PM