GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Roundup around roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/100683-roundup-around-roses.html)

Gail Futoran 29-07-2005 04:23 PM

Roundup around roses

I'm about to give up on pulling weeds from my
rose beds and start applying Roundup selectively
(and very very carefully).

My concern is the humidity, which is currently 74%.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's not
a good idea to apply Roundup near plants you
want to keep if the humidity is over 50%.

Anyone out there have experiences to share about
Roundup and roses?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Dennis 02-09-2005 05:21 PM

"Gail Futoran" You're digging it
round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

I'm about to give up on pulling weeds from my
rose beds and start applying Roundup selectively
(and very very carefully).

My concern is the humidity, which is currently 74%.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's not
a good idea to apply Roundup near plants you
want to keep if the humidity is over 50%.

Anyone out there have experiences to share about
Roundup and roses?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

\
I used to be a spray guy in the late 80's another way to apply round
up is on a wick, instead of spraying if you want to be careful.

Round-up can kill trees too.
up to IIRC a 1/4" trunk or so.

--
"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfeld
"Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" - Will Durant

Gail Futoran 02-09-2005 08:27 PM

"Dennis" wrote in message
"Gail Futoran" You're digging it
round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

I'm about to give up on pulling weeds from my
rose beds and start applying Roundup selectively
(and very very carefully).

My concern is the humidity, which is currently 74%.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's not
a good idea to apply Roundup near plants you
want to keep if the humidity is over 50%.

Anyone out there have experiences to share about
Roundup and roses?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

\
I used to be a spray guy in the late 80's another way to apply round
up is on a wick, instead of spraying if you want to be careful.

Round-up can kill trees too.
up to IIRC a 1/4" trunk or so.

Ok, thanks. My husband recommends using
one of those things for washing dishes with
a little reservoir and sponge on one end. Sounds
similiar to your "wick" recommendation.

Gail

Tim Tompkins 03-09-2005 12:53 AM

If you use a sprayer with a want, put an inverted plastic cup on the end and
touch the cup opening to the stuff you want to get rid of.

The cup acts a shield and restricts the area of application.

Tim

Gail Futoran 03-09-2005 07:13 PM

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message
If you use a sprayer with a want, put an inverted plastic cup on the end
and
touch the cup opening to the stuff you want to get rid of.

The cup acts a shield and restricts the area of application.

Tim

Cool! That is something I will definitely do.
Thanks, Tim.

Gail

Gail Futoran 04-09-2005 06:30 PM

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message
Just be careful about drips, shake the wand and cup before moving it and
keep it near the ground.

Will do. :)

Gail