Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Unhappy Droopy miniature rose

I recently bought some sort of miniature rose (small, white petals - yes, I'm very much an amateur). It seemed very healthy at the time. I have since re-potted it because it was in a teeny pot (there are six plants together). I used a general compost, followed the instructions and for a few days it was fine.

After leaving the house for one night, the heads are drooping. The pot was very dry, so I watered it, and carried on as normal, but it hasn't picked up, and the flower heads look awful. It's been suggested that I'm overwatering it, or that I should keep it indoors, or should put it outdoors - I really want to save it because I bought it as a present for my boyfriend (awww...).

Has it had it's chips? Or is it a terrible omen for me and my fella?! If anyone can help, I'd be very, very grateful.

Thanks!

Mercy
Old 08-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Gail Futoran

--
Mercy

For potted roses I use potting soil. Compost
might be overdoing it (too much food). You
can overfeed a rose.

Cut the blooms. They're just taking energy
the rose needs to get used to its new home
and grow. The leaves are more important
right now. If they're healthy, the rose is
probably ok. If they're not - not much will
bring it back. But ...

Watering frequently is essential for a
potted rose, especially one that's newly
planted. But drainage is also essential. Roses
hate having their "feet" wet all the time.

Roses do best outdoors. You can bring
them inside during harsh (cold) weather,
but by then they should be dormant.

I don't know if your rose is dead or just
in shock. At this point I'd say make sure
the soil doesn't dry out and hope. If
you can find a source of seaweed you
can try adding some (solution 1 tablespoon
per gallon). I recently resurrected a flower
my husband accidentally "weeded" after
it had lain on a refuse pile in the hot sun
for an hour or more. After a few hours
in a seaweed solution, it perked right up.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Gail Futoran

"Mercy" wrote

That's great! Thanks for all the advice. The leaves look fine and
healthy - the stems have picked up a bit already. I didn't realise they
could be overfed. I will definitely remember that.

I'm very grateful to you!

Mercy

I'm glad the leaves look fine. That's definitely
good news! Glad I could help.

Gail

droopy hibiscus scullycat Gardening 4 12-07-2005 12:11 AM
Droopy rose Martin Pentreath United Kingdom 2 01-06-2005 03:14 PM
Aubergine: Droopy leaves Roberto United Kingdom 0 28-05-2005 02:28 PM
droopy phal. scullycat Orchids 5 15-08-2003 12:09 AM
Droopy Jade StickMon Gardening 8 01-06-2003 06:44 PM