Old 10-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Registered User

Question Rose bush - no blooms

Hi

I'm no gardener but decided this year I would like to try my hand with some rose bushes.

My issue is that one bush has not produced any buds at all. It appears to be quite healthy in terms of growth and follage, just no buds.

My question is, should I hang on to the bush and hope it produces buds next year, or is this a dud (blind ?) and best disposed off.

Phil
Old 10-08-2005, 09:22 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:08:11 +0000, Phil
wrote:

Hi

I'm no gardener but decided this year I would like to try my hand with
some rose bushes.

My issue is that one bush has not produced any buds at all. It appears
to be quite healthy in terms of growth and follage, just no buds.

My question is, should I hang on to the bush and hope it produces buds
next year, or is this a dud (blind ?) and best disposed off.

Definitely hang on to it for next year, especially if it seems
vigorous this year. Roses like to spend their first year getting
established. This rose might have also been an early bloomer with just
one flush and you might have missed that opportunity. Any idea what
kind of rose it is?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Registered User

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the response. The rose bush is 'Lady surprise'. I can confirm that it hasn't flowered as I have had it since March and have watched the first shoots of the year. Interesting that they may take a year to establish. I will keep it and see what happens next year then. Any other tips for a newbie would be appreciated.

Phil
Old 12-08-2005, 03:06 PM
dave weil

wrote:
-

[...]

A couple of quick tips.

When getting a rosebush home and in the ground, if there are any
blooms on it, most people suggest pruning them off. Blooms take a lot
of energy for the plant to support and by trimming the blooms after
transplanting, you allow the bush to transfer more energy to building
a strong root system.

When you write this group for advice, give your climate zone. I'm not
sure of the zone system in the UK, but we can look it up. Also, any
details such as amount of shade, kind of soil, etc. is handy.

Never expect a lot of growth the first year. This is when the bush is
getting established. Second year will show you a lot of progress and
usually, the third year is the expolsive year for the plant. I've
found that you see the most impressive progress during that year.

Are you sure about your rose name? I couldn't find it at the best pure
reference site on the web:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php (bookmark this link)

I then did a google search and came up blank as well. I found a Lady
Sunshine. Could that be it? There's not a lot of info on that either
at the Help Me FInd site OR on google.

Finally, make sure that you start to wind down your fertilizing in
Sept. Depending on your climate, I wouldn't fertilizer any later than
6 weeks before your first frost date. You WANT your rose to start
turning to its dormancy phase.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave weil

wrote:
-

[...]

Thanks Dave

Cetainly thats the name given when I purchased so I have nothing else to go on at this stage. Perhaps if it blooms next year this will help me with ID

Many thanks for the tips and information, I shall have to research the climate zone. I'll stop the fertilisation as you suggest and keep fingers crossed for next year (and the year after then. Again many thanks

Old 20-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Ben Boorman

wrote:
-

-

http://tinyurl.com/a8v5s (bookmark this link)

I then did a google search and came up blank as well. I found a Lady
Sunshine. Could that be it? There's not a lot of info on that either
at the Help Me FInd site OR on google.

Finally, make sure that you start to wind down your fertilizing in
Sept. Depending on your climate, I wouldn't fertilizer any later than
6 weeks before your first frost date. You WANT your rose to start
turning to its dormancy phase.

Thanks Dave

Cetainly thats the name given when I purchased so I have nothing else
to go on at this stage. Perhaps if it blooms next year this will help
me with ID

Many thanks for the tips and information, I shall have to research the
climate zone. I'll stop the fertilisation as you suggest and keep
fingers crossed for next year (and the year after then. Again many
thanks

There is actually a "Lady surprise" rose listed with the Cabrillo
Nursery (http://www.cabrillo.edu/academics/horticulture/). Check they
plant inventory list. You may wish to contact them to determine what
kind of rose it is.

Ben

No blooms on rose bush ? DXer Gardening 5 15-05-2004 04:02 PM
No Blooms on rose bush ? DXer Roses 1 10-05-2004 10:04 PM
Bush that blooms daily? Andy Gardening 4 21-04-2004 07:02 PM
Bush that blooms daily. Will Renkel Gardening 0 19-04-2004 01:02 PM
Korean Spice Bush Barely Blooms B.R. Jones Gardening 1 23-06-2003 03:32 PM