Old 13-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Venu Shelat

Default 4th of July

I would like to know if 4th of July Climbing Rose can be grown in a
container.

I live in a townhome & am ristricted in my gardening efforts. My
anniversary falls on the 4th of July & so I would like to grow it. I am
willing to have a huge pot on my patio, if its worth the effort.

Old 13-03-2003, 11:08 PM
JimS.

"Venu Shelat" wrote in message
I would like to know if 4th of July Climbing Rose can be grown in a
container.

I live in a townhome & am ristricted in my gardening efforts. My
anniversary falls on the 4th of July & so I would like to grow it. I am
willing to have a huge pot on my patio, if its worth the effort.

Sure, it will grow. Of course, you're going to be pretty limited on how big
it'll get, how much room there is for it to climb on, etc. Can you find a
small trellis that will go into your big pot? That would work. And
depending on how big your pot is, eventually it'll get root-bound.

But the biggest criteria you need to look at is your climate zone, and
whether 4th of July does well in your area.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 14-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Cass

Venu Shelat wrote:

I would like to know if 4th of July Climbing Rose can be grown in a
container.

I live in a townhome & am ristricted in my gardening efforts. My
anniversary falls on the 4th of July & so I would like to grow it. I am
willing to have a huge pot on my patio, if its worth the effort.

Nice idea. How huge a pot, Venu? This is a rose that *can* be grown
upright , which might suit a pot, but it's genetics want it to produce
10 - 14 foot canes. - which grow in 3 dimensions. I'm just guessing it
would like about 1 cubic yard of soil to grow in, in optimal
conditions.

My limited experience growing large roses in pots is that they don't
perform to their potential, usually flowering less than they are
capable of, and being more sensitive to fluctuations in watering. I've
never seen a pot big enough for the largest roses.

If you don't have any piece of ground that you could cultivate for this
rose, you can try it in a pot to see if it performs well enough to
satisfy you. If you have really extreme winter conditions some time,
you might need to take heroic measures to keep the roots from freezing.