GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   White stuff on leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/104576-white-stuff-leaves.html)

lvflowers 12-09-2005 07:24 PM

White stuff on leaves

I have another question. This year my roses also had a lot of white
stuff on the leaves. I think that this is mildew or mold. What is the
most organic way to get rid of it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Gail Futoran 12-09-2005 09:40 PM

"lvflowers" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have another question. This year my roses also had a lot of white
stuff on the leaves. I think that this is mildew or mold. What is the
most organic way to get rid of it? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm fortunate to live in an area where my roses
are bothered by not much of anything, except
some blackspot, so any information I give isn't
based on my experiences.

A good source of information on rose diseases
is Baldo's site:
http://members.tripod.com/buggyrose/

By your description, you might have powdery
mildew. I do get it occasionally on one
rose and one or two of my crape myrtles. I
wish I could recall what I did, but I can't.

Here's one site I found that lists cultural,
chemical and organic methods of control:
http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/plantdisease/g1321.htm

Here's another that recommends milk (first
I ever heard of that!):
http://www.gardenerspath.com/article...erymildew.html
I might try that myself.

Rosarians who live in susceptible areas tend
to spray on a regular basis for a variety
of diseases that affect their roses. You might
check a local nursery or botanical garden
to see if such practices are recommended
for your area.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Tim Tompkins 13-09-2005 12:10 AM

Neem Oil is an organically derived PREVENTATIVE for
mildew and black spot.

Tim

oups.com...