Old 19-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Cass

Default Another Batch of Roses

Radika wrote:

Cass wrote
I lost all control and ordered:

Tamora, Bob's fault because he says it's great in a pot and we all know
pots don't count

And a very good rose for growing in a pot it would be too, though I
have mine in the ground. Right next to teh vermillion Orange Sunblaze.

That one's a keeper then.

Jean Kenneally because I hate minis and this is their last chance

Oh, dear. This one is an absolute mildew magnet at the Heritage, and
only real ugly plant. Is there anyway you can undo this one on the
order and get something else instead?

Okay, that's two strikes. I'm going to substitute something. I have
time. I just don't want to change my mind twice. :/

Stanwell Perpetual, ..

Fabulous, fabulous rose at the Heritage. I think you would like this.

Can't wait.

And I'm wait-listed probably into 2004 for Pure Mystery.

Janet does not have this grwoing right now, or what? Beautiful rose it
is in the picture, and a nice name too.

I think it's all sold out.
Old 19-03-2003, 12:56 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:17:44 -0800, Cass
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

I looked at that picture of Aloha and it's a little misleading. Let me
remind you what Aloha looks like in my neck of the woods (actually, in
my front yard)...

As to the repeatability of the plant, it blooms very strongly from
early April (if I remember correctly) until the onset of Japanese
beetles the first week of July. Then, after they wipe out the blooms,
it blooms intermittently until late in the season (at least it does
here in Zone 6b). I wouldn't call it full flushes though, and I can't
say how much the Japanese beetles (which absolutely swarm this bush)
keep the plant from reblooming fully. The blooms are long-lasting on
the bush.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/ALOHA.jpg

Beautiful, Dave. I hope it looks like this some day! Now I'm psyched.

Well, this one *is* decades old. You might get a quicker effect if you
grow it as a climber. Maybe someone can weigh in on this...
Old 19-03-2003, 01:32 PM
dave weil

wrote:

dave weil wrote:

I looked at that picture of Aloha and it's a little misleading. Let me
remind you what Aloha looks like in my neck of the woods (actually, in
my front yard)...

As to the repeatability of the plant, it blooms very strongly from
early April (if I remember correctly) until the onset of Japanese
beetles the first week of July. Then, after they wipe out the blooms,
it blooms intermittently until late in the season (at least it does
here in Zone 6b). I wouldn't call it full flushes though, and I can't
say how much the Japanese beetles (which absolutely swarm this bush)
keep the plant from reblooming fully. The blooms are long-lasting on
the bush.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/ALOHA.jpg

Beautiful, Dave. I hope it looks like this some day! Now I'm psyched.

Also, I meant to say that this appears to me to be a triangular
grouping of three plants. If you are interested in trying to get the
same effect, it will help you to know that the girth at the base is
around 4 feet (the girth of the bush itself is about 8 feet), so plant
accordingly. I'd say that a spacing of at least 3 ft would be called
for.

Also, watch out for blackspot. It seems initially pretty resistant,
but don't let it get a foothold as it *will* nurture.

You'll love it almost as much for the lush, deep-green, glossy leaves
as for the large, plump, fragrant blooms. Also, it seems to go dormant
pretty well as it *will* get very bare in the winter. Here's a good
picture of that:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/DormantAloha.jpg

And here's a picture from 23 Sep of last year to show that it *does*
rebloom a bit (at least here in Zone 6b), and you can see that it's
already starting to go dormant (as well as having been hit a bit by
blackspot):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/AlohalateSep.jpg

Here's one from mid-November:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/AlohaNov.jpg

Old 19-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Cass

Dave, do you have any idea how helpful this is?!?! You'ved helped me so
much! I now see how large it gets (no large), how fine the canes are
(pretty fine) and how shrubby it is (pretty shrubby if not pruned
much). Do you prune that thing at all? And it is about 6 feet tall?

Thanks for the info about blackspot. Unless a rose has a real death
wish, blackspot isn't a huge problem here because most of our humidity
occurs while the rose is dormant.

What I know now is that I need to get more than one if I want to grow
it as a shrub. Looks like it would handle a nice 4 ft. fence well, but
my fences are 6 feet.

Old 19-03-2003, 05:08 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:47:48 -0800, Cass
wrote:

Dave, do you have any idea how helpful this is?!?! You'ved helped me so
much! I now see how large it gets (no large), how fine the canes are
(pretty fine) and how shrubby it is (pretty shrubby if not pruned
much). Do you prune that thing at all? And it is about 6 feet tall?

Actually, it's about 8 feet tall, with an "average" height of about 7
feet.

Thanks for the info about blackspot. Unless a rose has a real death
wish, blackspot isn't a huge problem here because most of our humidity
occurs while the rose is dormant.

What I know now is that I need to get more than one if I want to grow
it as a shrub. Looks like it would handle a nice 4 ft. fence well, but
my fences are 6 feet.

You can grow it as a singular shrub and it will probably end up being
taller than the fence. It just won't be 8 X 8 like mine is. It
probably won't be as "round". It grows very upright. If you decide to
plant a grouping, I'd plant it at least 10 feet from the fence.

Keep in mnd that this plant gets *no* shade whatsoever.

Old 19-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Shiva

dave weil wrote:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:52:59 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

Aloha totally knocked me out--it has the colors I probably love more

than
any others. There is pretty then there is Just Plain Delicious!

I looked at that picture of Aloha and it's a little misleading. Let me
remind you what Aloha looks like in my neck of the woods (actually, in
my front yard).

Dave, yours is gorgeous, but I want that orange-kissed rosy color in the
amity pictures!! I have a problem with straight, uncut PINK. Jim and I
have the same affliction. I need my pink cut with some orange or yellow.

More importantly to you, Shiva, is the strong aroma that emanates from
a lush bush.

Well, now, this might be able to overcome the pure pinkness!

I've given up pleading with you about Felicia though chuckle.

I keep her in the back of my mind! It's just the pink thing.

When I look at the picture on the supplied link though, I don't think
it looks quite like my Aloha. There's too much pale salmon in the
middle.

Ooo, but that's what I like!

Old 19-03-2003, 07:56 PM
dave weil

wrote:

[...]

Well, that's why I thought I'd alert you. You aren't going to get
that, I don't think...

If you want salmon, get Touch of Class. of course, you'll have
absolutely no scent...life is such a compromise...
Old 19-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Shiva

dave weil wrote:

If you want salmon, get Touch of Class

No, no, no! Not SALMON. Peachy pink. Rosy peach. Ever seen Abraham Darby?
Like that.

of course, you'll have
absolutely no scent...

TOC is currently in a pot, cankered down to two canes. Lost its prime real
estate because it is not quite pretty enough to overcome its lack of
scent. It has fewer petals than the photos suggest, too.

life is such a compromise...

More so for some than for others. But true.

Old 20-03-2003, 12:08 AM
dave weil

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:01:42 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

If you want salmon, get Touch of Class

No, no, no! Not SALMON. Peachy pink. Rosy peach. Ever seen Abraham Darby?

No, but I saw his cousin, Absolom Darby. He tended to be long-winded,
plus he looked too much like an Amish farmer for my comfort.

Like that.

Let me remind you of our recent exchange:

Me - There's too much pale salmon in the middle.

You - Ooo, but that's what I like!

I guess I can be excused for making assumptions, plus, that's exactly
what I saw in the picture that ran counter to the observations of my
plant.

TOC is currently in a pot, cankered down to two canes. Lost its prime real
estate because it is not quite pretty enough to overcome its lack of
scent. It has fewer petals than the photos suggest, too.

Mine is *huge*, even after I cut it back drastically. I'll agree that
its HUGE floppy, short-lasting, non-scented blooms detract from its
desirablitiy. However, it fills a nice, shady corner next to my side
patio. It's easily 9 1/2 feet tall...of course, it's one of the first
to shed its leaves due to blackspot, although I'm hoping that my
sulphur lime spray will put that in check this year.

life is such a compromise...

More so for some than for others. But true.

And sometimes, it's good to meet in the middle...

BTW, I'm well into a brandy-induced stupor...

Old 20-03-2003, 04:32 AM
JimS.

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.5e480e04931272c76ed8acabc14195aa @1048095686.cotse.net...

wrote:

Aloha totally knocked me out--it has the colors I probably love more

than
any others. There is pretty then there is Just Plain Delicious!

I looked at that picture of Aloha and it's a little misleading. Let me
remind you what Aloha looks like in my neck of the woods (actually, in
my front yard).

Dave, yours is gorgeous, but I want that orange-kissed rosy color in the
amity pictures!! I have a problem with straight, uncut PINK. Jim and I
have the same affliction. I need my pink cut with some orange or yellow.

Yeah! Pink- bleah!
Pink, orange, and yellow-- cool!

JimS.