Old 16-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Cass

Default Another Batch of Roses

I have the will power of a gnat. After a day-long meeting I was
relaxing looking at the Amity Heritage Roses website, drooling over the
unidentified rose called "Pure Mystery," when I lost all control and
ordered:

Tamora, Bob's fault because he says it's great in a pot and we all know
pots don't count
Granada, Shiva's fault because I think I don't like HT's and then I saw
the buds and had to admit publically that they were, well, beautiful
Aloha because I've seen it for years and it would do so well on my wall
of shame near Parade, Altissimo, Dortmund and Rosarium Uetersen, big
roses you can see from two blocks away
Jean Kenneally because I hate minis and this is their last chance
Souv. de Mme Leonie Viennot, Allegra's fault because if she hasn't
recommended it already, I'll bet she will
Stanwell Perpetual, Julia's fault because she said something along the
lines of, "you don't have it yet?!?"
Yolande d'Aragon because I'm a glutton for punishment, see above.

And I'm wait-listed probably into 2004 for Pure Mystery.
Old 16-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Shiva

Cass wrote:

I have the will power of a gnat.

Any gnat will tell you that willpower is highly overrated when it gets in
the way of acquiring beautiful things--like roses.

Tamora, Bob's fault

Good for Bob! Had you asked, you might be blaming me, too. Love this
little rose. Mine has never grown taller than 2 feet. Great blooms! Blooms
all the time! Congrats on a great choice.

Granada, Shiva's fault because I think I don't like HT's and then I saw
the buds and had to admit publically that they were, well, beautiful

Yippeeeee! Now you'll see why I have three!

And I'm wait-listed probably into 2004 for Pure Mystery.

Love this name. Can you direct me to a good photo?

Old 16-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Allegra

"Cass"wrote

Souv. de Mme Leonie Viennot, Allegra's fault because if she hasn't
recommended it already, I'll bet she will

She did recommended it already -while turning green with
envy- and telling you that it would do much nicely in your
area than it could ever be expected to do in Portland.
Gorgeous, drop dead gorgeous. She drove me to distraction
when I attempted time and again to grow her here. Unfortunately
my first one came from Roses of Yesterday and...never mind.
No point in going there.

But she likes warmth and doesn't like too much cold and in
those years the climate was pretty even, more cold than warmth
in Spring and thus nothing like these days and she was not
happy here. Which brings me to a note about Souvenir de
la Malmaison. Years ago she was a royal pain in the back.
When she wasn't sulking, she was balling and when not,
she was refusing to bloom. Nothing could coaxed her into
doing anything logical or at least pleasant in those days.

Yesterday we went out in the back and there she was,
leafing like crazy, looking for all the world to see
like the happiest little rose in creation. So I guess that the
change in temperatures -unusual in Portland this time of
the year - has its effect on her disposition.

So, one good turn deserves another. Since your comment
made me think that both the dear Madame Leonie Viennot
and SdlM were close cousins in their behavior then, it is
absolutely your fault that I am going to order her again
to see if the new climate and new microclimate makes her
more easily pleased. ( Unique Too dear, you are absolutely
correct, do not believe a word I say about no more roses...
This time is Cass' fault however.)

Allegra

Old 17-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Cass

In article OM6da.131821$S_4.74761@rwcrnsc53, Allegra
wrote:

"Cass"wrote

Souv. de Mme Leonie Viennot, Allegra's fault because if she hasn't
recommended it already, I'll bet she will

She did recommended it already -while turning green with
envy- and telling you that it would do much nicely in your
area than it could ever be expected to do in Portland.
Gorgeous, drop dead gorgeous. She drove me to distraction
when I attempted time and again to grow her here. Unfortunately
my first one came from Roses of Yesterday and...never mind.
No point in going there.

But she likes warmth and doesn't like too much cold and in
those years the climate was pretty even, more cold than warmth
in Spring and thus nothing like these days and she was not
happy here.

I thought it was you, Allegra, subliminal messages. :-)

[...]

Oh good. We can compare notes.

I've heard word that there is a virus-indexed SdlM out in commerce
somewhere, I think here in California. I grow a sport which does just
fine, in fact flourishes, tho it is not as beautiful as the original.
I'm tempted to grow the bush form as well as SdlM Rouge. I find the
scent wonderful tho not powerful. Some day.
Old 17-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Cass

In article Shiva wrote:
Cass wrote:

And I'm wait-listed probably into 2004 for Pure Mystery.

Love this name. Can you direct me to a good photo?

Here's the page:

http://www.amityheritageroses.com/HybridTeas.html

Old 17-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Bob Bauer

Cass said:

I have the will power of a gnat.

I don't know..... I've dealt with some pretty determined gnats!

Tamora, Bob's fault because he says it's great in a pot and we all know
pots don't count

Definitely, pots don't count. ( I have about 100)...... heh heh

Granada, Shiva's fault because I think I don't like HT's and then I saw
the buds and had to admit publically that they were, well, beautiful

The great thing about Granada is that is has strong fragrance as well,
the knock on it is that is doesn't repeat all that well.

Aloha because I've seen it for years and it would do so well on my wall
of shame

Some folks say that 'Aloha' is not a good repeater as well....
sorry.....

Jean Kenneally because I hate minis and this is their last chance

Jean Kenneally.... the highest rated rose of all roses by the ARS. Go
figure. Sorry to report that it is a mildew magnet.

It is a constant bloomer with little pink exhibition shaped hybrid tea
like blooms. And it is the tallest miniature I know of that is not a
climber. ( 6 feet tall). Grows straight up ....... very upright.
Needs deadheading for good rebloom.

All in all there are much better minis in my opinion. You should not
give up on minis!!! I'm begging you. What you really need is a visit
to Sequoia Nursery. Then you will be converted. I swear it. (Don't
judge a mini until it has been able to show you its true colors in its
third year.)

I think You would really like 'Climbing Rainbow's End'. It gets big
and shubby with long arching canes filled with hundreds and hundreds
of blooms that change color with sun exposure. From yellow to orange
to red to pink to white. Everyone should grow this one. I have 3.

And you don't have Jeannie La Joie? If you like polyanthas and hybrid
musks, you'll love this one

Bob Bauer
Things really leafing out and frost expected tomorrow night

waaaaaaaa!.... (crying like a baby)

Old 18-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Cass

Bob Bauer wrote:

Cass said:

The great thing about Granada is that is has strong fragrance as well,
the knock on it is that is doesn't repeat all that well.

Hey, I grow once bloomers. I can put up with a lack of bloom if, when
it blooms, I remember the last time and look forward to the next time.

Aloha because I've seen it for years and it would do so well on my wall
of shame

Some folks say that 'Aloha' is not a good repeater as well....
sorry.....

We'll see. It gets the same rebloom rating as other roses I put up
with. Oh, lookiee. Vintage has Looping! Better hustle on over there,
Bob.

Jean Kenneally because I hate minis and this is their last chance

Jean Kenneally.... the highest rated rose of all roses by the ARS. Go
figure. Sorry to report that it is a mildew magnet.

Oh great. Maybe there's still time to cancel.

It is a constant bloomer with little pink exhibition shaped hybrid tea
like blooms. And it is the tallest miniature I know of that is not a
climber. ( 6 feet tall). Grows straight up ....... very upright.
Needs deadheading for good rebloom.

I can deadhead.

All in all there are much better minis in my opinion. You should not
give up on minis!!! I'm begging you. What you really need is a visit
to Sequoia Nursery. Then you will be converted. I swear it. (Don't
judge a mini until it has been able to show you its true colors in its
third year.)

I think You would really like 'Climbing Rainbow's End'. It gets big
and shubby with long arching canes filled with hundreds and hundreds
of blooms that change color with sun exposure. From yellow to orange
to red to pink to white. Everyone should grow this one. I have 3.

Oh, all right. Stop! Would go great on the wall of shame but it's
getting crowded down there.

And you don't have Jeannie La Joie? If you like polyanthas and hybrid
musks, you'll love this one

Ja, I have two.
Old 18-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Shiva

Cass wrote:

Here's the page:

http://www.amityheritageroses.com/HybridTeas.html

Really nice. What would you call that color?

Aloha totally knocked me out--it has the colors I probably love more than
any others. There is pretty then there is Just Plain Delicious!

Old 18-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Shiva

Bob Bauer wrote:

The great thing about Granada is that is has strong fragrance as well,
the knock on it is that is doesn't repeat all that well.

This is true. It is a while between flushes, but when they come they are
huge and stunning. However--I'd rather have a Granada that blooms five
flushes a year than any other rose in the world that stays in bloom
constantly.

Same with Scentimental, where the "knock" is that the blooms shatter
quickly. It's the old "something eternally white is not, therefore, the
whiter." Exquisite things that do not last are no less exquisite--in fact,
their ephemeral nature may add to their attraction. Better a world full of
tragically flawed beauties than one full of perfect run-of-the-mill things.

Old 18-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Bob Bauer

Cass said:

Oh, lookiee. Vintage has Looping! Better hustle on over there,
Bob.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I have a $60 Vintage gift certificate to use
up.
Do you think it will still be there when I get there in person near
the end of April? Or is there going to be a run on it now..... heh

Old 18-03-2003, 06:20 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:52:59 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

Cass wrote:

Here's the page:

http://www.amityheritageroses.com/HybridTeas.html

Really nice. What would you call that color?

Aloha totally knocked me out--it has the colors I probably love more than
any others. There is pretty then there is Just Plain Delicious!

I looked at that picture of Aloha and it's a little misleading. Let me
remind you what Aloha looks like in my neck of the woods (actually, in
my front yard).

More importantly to you, Shiva, is the strong aroma that emanates from
a lush bush.

As to the repeatability of the plant, it blooms very strongly from
early April (if I remember correctly) until the onset of Japanese
beetles the first week of July. Then, after they wipe out the blooms,
it blooms intermittently until late in the season (at least it does
here in Zone 6b). I wouldn't call it full flushes though, and I can't
say how much the Japanese beetles (which absolutely swarm this bush)
keep the plant from reblooming fully. The blooms are long-lasting on
the bush.

I've given up pleading with you about Felicia though chuckle.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/ALOHA.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...%20Closeup.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Aloha1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Aloha2.jpg

Note that there's some variation in color in these shots. I think that
the last link (and the "closeup" shot as well) most accurately depicts
the "average" color of the bloom, which like just about every rose,
has a bit of variation during its lifespan.

When I look at the picture on the supplied link though, I don't think
it looks quite like my Aloha. There's too much pale salmon in the
middle.

Old 18-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Radika

Cass wrote in message . ..
I have the will power of a gnat. After a day-long meeting I was
relaxing looking at the Amity Heritage Roses website, drooling over the
unidentified rose called "Pure Mystery," when I lost all control and
ordered:

Tamora, Bob's fault because he says it's great in a pot and we all know
pots don't count

And a very good rose for growing in a pot it would be too, though I
have mine in the ground. Right next to teh vermillion Orange Sunblaze.

Jean Kenneally because I hate minis and this is their last chance

Oh, dear. This one is an absolute mildew magnet at the Heritage, and
only real ugly plant. Is there anyway you can undo this one on the
order and get something else instead?

Stanwell Perpetual, ..

Fabulous, fabulous rose at the Heritage. I think you would like this.

Yolande d'Aragon because I'm a glutton for punishment, see above.

I don't know about that, but I like the name of this rose. Tolkien
sounding.

And I'm wait-listed probably into 2004 for Pure Mystery.

Janet does not have this grwoing right now, or what? Beautiful rose it
is in the picture, and a nice name too.

--
Radika
Old 18-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Bob Bauer

Shiva said:

Exquisite things that do not last are no less exquisite--in fact,
their ephemeral nature may add to their attraction. Better a world full of
tragically flawed beauties than one full of perfect run-of-the-mill things.

Yesss grasshoppa, so true it is.......

Bob B.
Old 19-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Cass

dave weil wrote:

I looked at that picture of Aloha and it's a little misleading. Let me
remind you what Aloha looks like in my neck of the woods (actually, in
my front yard)...

As to the repeatability of the plant, it blooms very strongly from
early April (if I remember correctly) until the onset of Japanese
beetles the first week of July. Then, after they wipe out the blooms,
it blooms intermittently until late in the season (at least it does
here in Zone 6b). I wouldn't call it full flushes though, and I can't
say how much the Japanese beetles (which absolutely swarm this bush)
keep the plant from reblooming fully. The blooms are long-lasting on
the bush.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/ALOHA.jpg

Beautiful, Dave. I hope it looks like this some day! Now I'm psyched.