Old 16-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Shiva

Default Bye Bye Hansa (etc.)

It was nearly a year ago that I dragged home a potted, blooming Hansa and
lay a bloom on the scanner and posted it. After that--no more blooms, and
just ugly yellow-brown foliage through the fall. Not a chance of keeping
that piece of real estate--prime sun spot--esp. since I got my S&W
shipment.

So here's the current project. Triangular bed on a steepish hill. Maybe
each side of the triangle measures 15 feet--maybe less. At the top, a
Mutabilis in its second year, full of new foliage, a pretty round shape,
too. Under this, two rose holes, five feet apart. Under this, at the
bottom of the slope, three roses holes, maybe four feet apart. What I have
in my mind is purple and orange--and that is primarily what I have
soaking, too. Possibilities--colors gleaned from online photos only, so I
do need some feedback. I want a nice purple or fuschia/orange yellow
contrast. Shades of sherbety raspberry, orange and yellow are fine, too.

HT=hybrid tea
GF=grandiflora
FL=floribunda

P=Purple (includes mauves)
Y=yellow
O-Orange

Mutabilis

Heart O' Gold (GF,5ft, OY) [space for another?] Arizona (GF, 5ft, OY)

Simply Marv.(FL,P, 3ft) Judy Garland (FL,OY, 3ft) Royal Ameth.(HT,P, 3 ft)

Other possibilities for this bed: Barbra Streisand (HT, P, 4 ft); Blue
Nile (HT, P, 5 ft); Melodee Parfumee (GF, P, 4ft); Outta the Blue (shrub,
P?, 4 ft.)

I plan to pound in some of that black, foot-high, rubbery edging at the
bottom, inside the existing 18 inch concrete retaining wall. Should I do
this below each row, in a kind of mini-terracing effect? Soil does wash
down, I had to add a few bags to Mutabililis throughout the year.

Thanks for all and any input. (Even if you hate these colors together, and
I know lots of you probably do!)

Old 16-03-2003, 08:56 PM
JimS.

I just planted a Hansa last week. Where did you get yours? And was it just
a crappy specimen, or does this rose suck in general? Now I'm wondering if
I wasted space?

JimS.

news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.8a32dedc503cbd7a0c632ad878f9f93b @1047845299.cotse.net...

Old 17-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Susan Solomon

Another beautiful lavender/purple you might want to consider for your
grouping is Moon Shadow HT. It doesn't blush in the sun, like so many other
purples; a lovely deep lavender, much deeper than Sterling Silver. Big,
healthy bush here in SoCal. Beautiful blooms, too. I have it planted in my
little rose garden by yellow Honey Bouquet and Tropicana; very nice, imho.

Sue in SoCal

Old 17-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Bob Bauer

Jim S. asked

I just planted a Hansa last week. Where did you get yours? And was it just
a crappy specimen, or does this rose suck in general? Now I'm wondering if
I wasted space?

Hansa is a small plant that is a VERY slow grower. Don't prune it!
And never apply liquid fertilizers to the leaves, it will burn them.

The blooms are beautiful when they happen, which is not all that
often. But a well cared for Hansa which as reached terminal size is a
nice plant.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 17-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Unique Too

Sorry, I can't be Julie and reply to your posts, gotta be Unique. Your posts
don't show up on Google any longer.
FWIW, since I live in flat Florida, I would add the edging for soil support.
Besides keeping the soil in place, I like the effect it would add to the bed.
I can't comment on any of your rose choices, not familiar with any of them.
But I do love the color combinations!

Old 18-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Shiva

Susan Solomon wrote:

Another beautiful lavender/purple you might want to consider for your
grouping is Moon Shadow HT.

Thanks, Susan! I have looked at this one, too. It is on next year's list
unless a nice potted specimen follows me home this weekend. I am going on
a Garden Center Safari this weekend!! Last year's take included Mutabilis,
Hansa, White Lightnin' and Lover's Lane.

It doesn't blush in the sun, like so many other
purples; a lovely deep lavender, much deeper than Sterling Silver. Big,
healthy bush here in SoCal. Beautiful blooms, too. I have it planted in

my little rose garden by yellow Honey Bouquet and Tropicana; very nice,
imho.

Ahh, you like contrasting colors together too! I ran into Tropicana at
KMart yesterday--really nice, and this one had a very ROSY fragrance. I
thought Tropicana had no fragrance, was I wrong? It was in the middle of a
sad herd of potted roses--all of which I managed to resist, saying to
myself "NO WAY. You have 12 bare roots budding in buckets. Not one potted
rose until you get them into the ground."

Old 18-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Shiva

Unique Too wrote:

Sorry, I can't be Julie and reply to your posts, gotta be Unique.

That's a funny line taken out of context! Now I see what you meant in your
last post--I was puzzling over the Google reference. Do you like posting
through Google? One thing I have noticed when reading through it is that
it takes a long time for posts to show. My posts do not show as they are
all "x-no-archives-yes," I guess.

FWIW, since I live in flat Florida, I would add the edging for soil

support. Besides keeping the soil in place, I like the effect it would add
to the bed.

Thanks for the input. It looks pretty in my mind's eye--here's hoping I
can achieve that with my mallet and edging. I guess I will push the blade
of the shovel into the soil to help them along. The edging is the black
rubbery kind that has some sort of wire inside that allegedly makes it
bendable like a Gumby. However, I tried bending it and it was really hard.
I chose this edging because even though it looks hard to install, it will
probably last and not look too bad... what do you use?

I can't comment on any of your rose choices, not familiar with any of
them. But I do love the color combinations!

Another contrasting color lover! Yippee I am not alone. Of course,
contrast is different from "clash," and chances are some of the roses will
clash at some phase of their coloration. I don't really care. I love the
effect of a mixed bouquet so much, a roll of the dice might do as well as
anything else in determining where I put roses of the same height.

Old 18-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Unique Too

"Shiva" writes:

Unique Too wrote:

Sorry, I can't be Julie and reply to your posts, gotta be Unique.

That's a funny line taken out of context! Now I see what you meant in your
last post--I was puzzling over the Google reference. Do you like posting
through Google? One thing I have noticed when reading through it is that
it takes a long time for posts to show. My posts do not show as they are
all "x-no-archives-yes," I guess.

Google is okay, AOL is easier to read and respond (plus your posts show up
hereg). I'm trying to break myself away from AOL, but really I haven't found
anything that I like as well. And the other member of the family doesn't like
the alternatives at all, of course, he doesn't like anything to change.

FWIW, since I live in flat Florida, I would add the edging for soil

support. Besides keeping the soil in place, I like the effect it would add
to the bed.

Thanks for the input. It looks pretty in my mind's eye--here's hoping I
can achieve that with my mallet and edging. I guess I will push the blade
of the shovel into the soil to help them along. The edging is the black
rubbery kind that has some sort of wire inside that allegedly makes it
bendable like a Gumby. However, I tried bending it and it was really hard.
I chose this edging because even though it looks hard to install, it will
probably last and not look too bad... what do you use?

I'm sure you can get that look, even though it takes some effort. Using the
shovel should make it easier to put in place. It would take a lot of time and
strength to pound it in. You'll have to post pictures when its done. I think
I would really like that look.
I have a variety of edging - some of the black plastic like yours except
shallower, landscape timbers, "logs" on end, pickets. I used the plastic to
edge a walkway thru the back bed. It's been there 3 years and still looks like
new, so it will last. Mine wasn't too hard to bend and once in the desired
shape it stays that way.
I suppose my favorite for looks is the logs. They are wooden posts about 4"
across, cut to different lengths and stand on end (if that makes any sense).
They were rather expensive, but if they last, I'll slowly replace most of the
other edging with them. The pickets looked good, but only last a season or
two.

I can't comment on any of your rose choices, not familiar with any of
them. But I do love the color combinations!

Another contrasting color lover! Yippee I am not alone. Of course,
contrast is different from "clash," and chances are some of the roses will
clash at some phase of their coloration. I don't really care. I love the
effect of a mixed bouquet so much, a roll of the dice might do as well as
anything else in determining where I put roses of the same height.

I think planting contrasting colors together makes both of them stand out more.
With the alternating colors you had in your first post, I don't think the
colors will clash. Putting the mauves/purples between the yellow/apricots
should look great!
My favorite colors together were First Edition and Angel Face, an almost orange
and lavender. The colors looked great, if only the roses had been great. FE
is long gone and AF will be soon.

Old 18-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Bob Bauer

Larry Blanchard said:

Bob, I'm confused. Are we talking about the Hansa that's a hybrid
rugosa? Or is there some other Hansa I'm not aware of?

You are correct it is the Hybrid Rugosa Hansa that we are talking
about.

Mine is the rugosa and you can't kill it with a stick. We call it "the
rosebush that ate Texas".

Well, maybe it is your climate. Maybe you have the absolutely perfect
climate for Hansa.

Many have said (and I who grow it myself agree) that it is a very
slow grower. .....And not much of a repeater. I heard this
information before I ever grew it, and I can confirm it to be true for
my climate. Maybe it needs more humidity or something.

Hey, roses respond to different climates in amazing ways! Many roses
are EXTREMELY climate variable.

take 'Queen Elizabeth', for example, a rose that is so great in other
climates that a new category of roses was invented just for IT. This
rose totally sucks in my climate. 2 feet tall.... just a few blooms
a year. First I thought it was the specific plant that I had, so I
planted another two...... same thing...... so I asked the other folks
at the Utah Rose Society and they said: "Yep, sure enough, 'Queen
Elizabeth' is a dog in our climate".

Another example is a lot of the David Austin hybrids. His English
catalogue lists sizes for many of them that are tiny compared to the
specimens I have seen growing here and in California.

Go figure.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 18-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Bob Bauer

Unique Too said:

I'm trying to break myself away from AOL, but really I haven't found
anything that I like as well.

Are you kidding me? I don't mean to offend, but AOL is probably the
worst way to read the newsgroups that I know of, if you don't count
reading it from an internet web browser.

AOL is the worst way to do ANYTHING on the internet in my not so
humble opinion.

What you really need is to get a direct internet connection, say
through AT&T or any other Internet Service Provider and then don't use
their proprietary connection software.

You should connect directly to the internet, using your computer's
operating system.

For reading the newsgroups you will be best served by using
stand alone software applications, such as 'Agent'. Once you see how
the newsgroups were actually meant to work, you will be amazed at the
difference.

Just trying to help.

Bob Bauer

Old 18-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Unique Too

Bob Bauer writes:

re you kidding me? I don't mean to offend, but AOL is probably the
worst way to read the newsgroups that I know of, if you don't count
reading it from an internet web browser.

No offense taken. Like I said I am trying to get away from AOL.

AOL is the worst way to do ANYTHING on the internet in my not so
humble opinion.

What you really need is to get a direct internet connection, say
through AT&T or any other Internet Service Provider and then don't use
their proprietary connection software.

I recently got a cable modem, so I have the connection. I have Netscape, which
is very, very slow. And IE which crashes, I've tried upgrading, I tried delete
and reinstall. So what else? I'm open to suggestions.

You should connect directly to the internet, using your computer's
operating system.

For reading the newsgroups you will be best served by using
stand alone software applications, such as 'Agent'. Once you see how
the newsgroups were actually meant to work, you will be amazed at the
difference.

Tell me more.

Just trying to help.

And I'm listening.

Old 18-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Shiva

On 18 Mar 2003 22:35:30 GMT, (Unique Too) wrote:

What you really need is to get a direct internet connection, say
through AT&T or any other Internet Service Provider and then don't use
their proprietary connection software.

I recently got a cable modem, so I have the connection. I have Netscape, which
is very, very slow. And IE which crashes, I've tried upgrading, I tried delete
and reinstall. So what else? I'm open to suggestions.

Julie--if you have a cable modem that works, then you have a cable
connection, so you have a cable ISP. Neither Netscape nor Internet
Explorer should be slow--and if configured correctly, neither should
crash. You HAVE to have a real browser--which is what NS and IE are.
If you are still using that POS AOL "browser" you are defeating the
purpose of having a real ISP that does not hold you in a Disneyesque
Cocoon for Idiots. Call your cable ISP and ask how to configure your
newsreader--Netscape's or Internet Explorer's, the latter which is
Outlook Express. I use this though it is buggy. I LOVE IE--but have
had troubles with it in the past. What is your operating system? If
you are not running Windows 2000 or better (ME or XP) you need to
upgrade. The older OS's will conflict with newer versions of IE.

Your ISP comes with its own news server--call them and they will tell
you how to configure your reader. If you insist you cannot use
Netscape or IE, then do a Google (not an AOL!!) search on "Free Agent"
and download that newsreader. I am posting in it now. Once you
download it, your ISP tech people will walk you through configuring it
to use their news server. Any questions, email me.

Old 19-03-2003, 01:44 AM
JimS.

"Bob Bauer" wrote in message
Unique Too said:

I'm trying to break myself away from AOL, but really I haven't found
anything that I like as well.

Are you kidding me? I don't mean to offend, but AOL is probably the
worst way to read the newsgroups that I know of, if you don't count
reading it from an internet web browser.

AOL is the worst way to do ANYTHING on the internet in my not so
humble opinion.

snip
Bob Bauer

I'm glad somebody else said that, so I didn't have to. Trying to read
newsgroups on AOL is infuriating enough to make you tear your hair out. Of
course, the mere fact that you even know what a newsgroup IS means you're
100% more informed than the average AOL user....

Any decent ISP should be able to show you how to configure Outlook Express,
or the other one, that "N" one (hey, I'm in Seattle, my fingers will burn if
I type the "N" word). I myself have never had any problems using O.E. to
read newgroups, it's fast and easy.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 19-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Jane

Hi Shiva, I'm butting in about Tropicana.. It's very very fragrant and
strong here for me. Vibrant and amazing. I'll dig through my old pictures
and send you a clip via e-mail. You'll love it!
Jane
"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.90a8c71ea8a6a644286832cbd1b5d004 @1048002050.cotse.net...
Susan Solomon wrote:

[...]

Chelsea 2014, bye bye Alan T. Jeff[_20_] United Kingdom 14 13-11-2013 03:47 PM
Bye, Bye International rates! Now you can call abroad for the priceof a UK call! APNADIAL United Kingdom 0 29-07-2009 05:48 PM
Bye bye Jim Webster Broadback United Kingdom 2 07-06-2007 04:21 PM
Bye Bye Irises Jack Gardening 2 29-10-2006 02:58 PM
Bye Bye Roberto United Kingdom 34 30-04-2003 03:23 AM