Old 16-03-2003, 10:56 PM
JimS.

Default Cedar chips on rosebeds

Is it bad to use cedar chips for groundcover on rosebeds? Does the wood
chip leach nitrogen when it's on the ground surface? And, is the
cedar-water runoff bad for roses?

JimS.
Seattle

Old 16-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Allegra

"JimS." wrote in message
Is it bad to use cedar chips for groundcover on rosebeds? Does the wood
chip leach nitrogen when it's on the ground surface? And, is the
cedar-water runoff bad for roses?

Hello Jim,

if it is bad my roses in the East bed have never said
a word about it...;) As far as I can tell, there would be
very little to be concerned about it. Cedar contributes
to the acidity of the soil and once it has been reduced
to mulch there has to be very little leaching out with
watering that could make any significant difference.

And it keeps the weeding down, and the moisture
in so I guess that is why the divas haven't complained
yet. How is the weather up in Seattle? We still have
more gray than blue, but we are way up there into
the high fifties, and the roses are beginning to wake
up even in the upstairs patio.

Allegra

Old 17-03-2003, 01:20 AM
JimS.

"Allegra" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote in message
Is it bad to use cedar chips for groundcover on rosebeds? Does the wood
chip leach nitrogen when it's on the ground surface? And, is the
cedar-water runoff bad for roses?

Hello Jim,

if it is bad my roses in the East bed have never said
a word about it...;) As far as I can tell, there would be
very little to be concerned about it. Cedar contributes
to the acidity of the soil and once it has been reduced
to mulch there has to be very little leaching out with
watering that could make any significant difference.

And it keeps the weeding down, and the moisture
in so I guess that is why the divas haven't complained
yet. How is the weather up in Seattle? We still have
more gray than blue, but we are way up there into
the high fifties, and the roses are beginning to wake
up even in the upstairs patio.

Allegra

Hi Allegra,
Well, I guess that is what I figured about the cedar chips.....I've had my
beds covered with chips for a few years, and always assumed it was OK. But
I got a bit worried when Bob in SLC noted not to plant the wood shavings
that come with bareroots. Better safe than sorry... might as well ask. I
the cedar chips are OK...

Seattle weather has been mirroring yours down in Portland....temps are
consistently around 50 these days, a few degrees cooler than Portland, but
not much sun here either. I saw quite a contrast this weekend, I went over
to Wenatchee, WA area (the apple capitol of the world, in case anyone's
amused by such!) with a couple of friends to go skiing. Wenatchee is just
on the other side of the Cascades Mountains, from Seattle. All the apple
trees are still totally without leaves, an eerie knarled moonscape...it
looked like a nice sunny day was in-store. Everything is still brown from
winter over there. We came over Snoqualmie Pass to the Seattle side, into
the rain, and everything is green. Still not much sun around here, but like
Portland not much winter either. All my roses are well on their way to
awake. A few have totally leafed out already. Two never went dormant this
winter at all-- one even bloomed in January. Even the ones I orphaned to
the city parking strip are doing great. I suspect it's going to be a sunny
and hot (for here!) summer....At least I hope so!

JimS.
Seattle

Old 17-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Allegra

JimS. wrote in message
Hi Allegra,
[...]

Well, what can I tell you? I went out of plant some cuttings in the back
patio, nice, Dutch windows everywhere up there in the gray, gold sky.
Decided to bring the Alice Dupont mandevilla I had cut down and
brought into the garage last November -she has grown two very long
vines already- to plant next to E.Veyrat Hermanos to climb up the
arch with a couple of pink and pale lavender clematis that have already
began to leaf out.

Put all the new rose cuttings' gallon pots with the obligatory plastic bag
hats up against the south wall, mesmerized myself at the sight to a couple
of ruby throat hummingbirds eating at one of the feeders ( Yes, Spring
must be here since only the Annas have been seen around until today)
Started to dig the area for the mandevilla, and hear this sound, sort of
like a tap, tap slowly at first and then in a matter of seconds, the Second
Coming materialized in the form of a halacious hail storm! I mean the
entire floor in the patio was white! I was dragging stuff all over the
place and trying to escape being pelted by the marble size hail.
It took about 15 minutes for the ice to stop coming -and about
2 hours for it to melt. Yesterday was 59, today was 61.-

All right, back to square one. I hope the Mandevilla makes it, after
I have taken her in and out for over 2 weeks trying to harden the poor
thing, only to see her slapped silly by hail when I finally planted her.
Is this a sign of things to come in the garden? I hope not.

Allegra

Old 17-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Jane

Hi Jim, What did you learn about the shavings in bagged roses? What's bad
about the sawdust in the bare root rose bags? I'm wondering what to do with
it now.
Thanks Jane

Old 17-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Bob Bauer

Jim S asked:

Is it bad to use cedar chips for groundcover on rosebeds? Does the wood
chip leach nitrogen when it's on the ground surface? And, is the
cedar-water runoff bad for roses?

Any kind of wood will consume nitrogen from the soil. It needs
nitrogen in order to decompose. The surface that is in touch with the
soil well eat nitrogen and the whole pile will eat the nitrogen from
the fertilizers that you apply to the top.

If you know this going in though, it is OK to use wood chips as mulch
as long as you regularly add nitrogen to the soil.

The cedar will probably actually keep insects away a bit. Whether it
keeps beneficial insects away as well is unknown by me.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 18-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

JimS. wrote:
Is it bad to use cedar chips for groundcover on rosebeds? Does the wood
chip leach nitrogen when it's on the ground surface? And, is the
cedar-water runoff bad for roses?

I have cedar chips in my rose bed. It works well.

J.

Old 19-03-2003, 03:08 PM
John T. Jarrett

The amount of Nitrogen used by wood chips is very little as they decompose
compared to the amount used by saw dust. Saw dust is small particles with
lots of surfaces that will all start breaking down at once and FRESH saw
dust uses up LOTS of Nitrogen -- so you don't really want to throw it on
your compost pile, either.

If you have so much you want to compost it, just compost it somewhere else
other than in or on your beds or your compost pile. It is the bugs that do
the composting that eat the Nitrogen and once they are done, then you can
add it to your compost pile.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com

Old 20-03-2003, 02:32 AM
FOW

Mine are covered in cedar chips and now have 2 ft of new growth on them. I
would say use cedar chips, put landscape fabric down first and cover it with
3-4 inches of chips.