GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Roses from ground to pot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/107074-roses-ground-pot.html)

LauraH 17-09-2005 01:26 PM

Roses from ground to pot

We have three roses that have become rather lanky due to poor light conditions. Advice about what time of year to transplant them into pots would be welcome.

Gail Futoran 17-09-2005 08:27 PM

"LauraH" wrote in message

We have three roses that have become rather lanky due to poor light
conditions. Advice about what time of year to transplant them into pots
would be welcome.

First choice: early spring.
Second choice: during winter while dormant.
Third choice: anytime if you're really very careful. :)

The problem is transplant shock so if you do
it while temps are hot, rose is actively growing,
you're more likely to stress the plant.

HTH -
Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8
facing a bunch of transplanting - when it's cooler!

LauraH 18-09-2005 09:36 AM

Thanks Gail, I think we will not do anything until early spring. Most likely prune them back, and them put them in pots to chase the sun around the yard until they come back to their fully glory.

Gail Futoran 19-09-2005 02:20 PM

"LauraH" wrote in message

Gail Futoran Wrote:
...-

--
LauraH

That sounds like a plan. :)

I have several roses in pots. We get
enough sunlight around here that I don't
actually have to move pots unless it gets
really cold (rarely) during what laughingly
passes as winter around here. Then they
go into the garage until the cold passes.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8