Old 17-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Jane

Default bare root question

Hello group,
I am soaking my new bare root Peace roses in water , getting ready to plant
them and I wonder since the roots are not as fluffy as I'd hoped, would it
hurt them if I put root stimulator in with the soaking water?
Thanks,

Jane in 6b

Old 17-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Jane wrote:
I am soaking my new bare root Peace roses in water , getting ready to
plant them and I wonder since the roots are not as fluffy as I'd hoped,
would it hurt them if I put root stimulator in with the soaking water?

That depends on the stimulator, Jane. Seaweed extract is a great
stimulator to use in the soaking stages.
Old 18-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Jane

Thanks Dan, I have something here called Green Light root stimulator. I
guess I can pour it on after I plant them. My Could my edible seaweed help
my roses? My Nori is kind of expensive but I could spare some Dulce or Kelp
I guess. Is there a specific seaweed extract available commercially?
Thanks again,
Jane
"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message
home.com.au...

Old 18-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Allegra

"Jane" wrote in message
t...
Hello group,
I am soaking my new bare root Peace roses in water , getting ready to

plant
them and I wonder since the roots are not as fluffy as I'd hoped, would it
hurt them if I put root stimulator in with the soaking water?
Thanks,

Jane in 6b

Hi Jane,

I always use Super Thrive diluted by their instructions.
It has always worked wonders on my roses, and has never
burnt or in any other way done any harm to them. When
I plant them I mix some alfalfa pellets, some water crystals
and any slow release fertilizer for roses that may be on hand.
Mix it well on the hole, make your mount and after 24 to 48
hours of soaking the bareroot - or the transplant if still too
tiny- , I plant it, and water it well with the soaking water.

Our Darlow's Enigma was planted in May a bare 12"
little fondling from Heirloom following this practice and he is
now over 8' high. So I have to guess that after 32 years of
growing roses, I must finally have at least figured out what
some of them like G

Good luck, I am sure you will do all right

Allegra

Old 18-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Jane

Thank you Allegra,
I've never seen Super Thrive, but I know how to get alfalfa pellets, water
crystals and Osmocote ( is that alright?) so maybe its a regional thing?
With water crystals, I think I should wet them first so they're fully
expanded before I plant, right? I'm glad I can soak them awhile longer than
I'd originally planned because I didn't get them in the ground today. If I
use your recipe, do I still need to ammend my soil with peat for aeration?
It's actually not too bad here, but I think roses like really good drainage.
Thanks for the clear planting advice. Congratulations on Darlow's Enigma!
I'm sure you make all your roses very happy. Sounds like a great way to
tuck them into their beds.
Thanks,
Jane

"Allegra" wrote in message
.net...

Old 18-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Allegra

"Jane" wrote

Thank you Allegra,

You are most welcome Jane, glad to be of service.
Super Thrive is a national product as far as I know.
Here is a link

http://www.superthrive.com/page1.html

Don't let the carnival atmosphere of their ads
give you the wrong impression. The product is good,
their advertising should be banned by the good taste police
however. I have used this product with excellent results for
many years, particularly transplanting cuttings and band roses
that are so delicate when first taken from their little tall houses.
I have to say that I give ST much credit for whatever it is we
are doing right with the divas.

As far as amending the soil, Jane in my opinion we can
never overdo it. The more we help the drainage the
better the roses will be plus of course with good drainage
you have also a teeming environment of workers under
ground to help restore the balance of the humus so you
cannot go wrong. Does it show that I love worms? The
only reason I hate moles is because they feed on them.
BH and I have striven in the past two years to correct the
deficits found in this clay and rock garden, and one of
the nicest surprises was to find big, fat worms all over
after working the soil, since when we moved in there
we were astounded at the fact that no matter where you
dug, no worms were to be found.

Try to get some ST if you can. Give it a try. I don't usually
recommend products because I find some of them work
in some areas and not in others but I am almost sure this
one will work for you. It is safe and it does show in the
plants the effect of vitamins and hormones. One note of
caution though, get the alfalfa pellets, no sugar, no nothing
added to them. A handful mixed with the soil and the
crystals plus the food will take probably about 1 year
to disintegrate if our experience is universal. About
the end of April or early May I scratch another handful
on top before adding the summer mulch and leave the
rose alone, except for some foliar feeding if necessary.

We use Algoflash and it has proven all we need to get
some nice blossoms. Then again, most of our roses
are only in their second year in the ground, so the most
important addition is still patience. Know where to buy
some? I am running really low of that G and with
the likes of Zephirine and Compassion for instance
this can turn out to be a long summer. What other roses
are on your list beside Peace? Did I miss the rest?

Allegra

Old 19-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Jane

Thank you Allegra,
I am very amused by the site! I printed out the coupon and plan to amil away
for a free sample. Although, tomorrow I'll be calling around for the goods
locally so I can get started.
And I'll be ammending my soil generously thanks to your suggestion. From one
worm lover to another, I must say we have quite a colony here. The Robins
are out tugging them up from the lawn each day now that the ground has
thawed. Looks like a spaghetti dinner!
Thanks for the warning about alfalfa pellets. I didn't know a thing.
So the Algoflash, I've never even seen...I'll ask around here. Is that the
slow release fertilizer? Sounds very exciting! If I find some do you really
want some?
Do you grow Zepherine Drouhin too? I LOVE that one. It's covered my herb
garden arbour in two seasons and its perfect because its nearly thornless
and fragrant and vibrant!
I have a few hybrid teas in the front bed. It used to be all Mr. Lincolns
and several had reverted to their own ways (grin), so i moved them out and
stuck in some more well-bred ones. My double Delight and my Moon Shadow died
in childhood. The remainders a
Fragrant Cloud
5X Mr. Lincoln
Henry Fonda
Melody Perfume
Tropicana
....ummmm I forget what else
and then another pair of climbing America roses on another arbour. Yummy
colour. And my one standard white carpet rose...
The Peace roses will be going into the back gardens so they can be seen by
the president from his chopper when he's going over to Camp David.
What?? He doesn't care what anybody else thinks?
Oh well, It'll make me feel better anyway.
So which rose is your favourites? If you HAD to choose...who would it be?
You might as well tell me where to get it while you're typing. This rose
thing is habit forming.

Thanks,
Jane

"Allegra" wrote in message

[...]

How To Deal With Low Budget Bare Root Roses Bob Bauer Roses 4 28-10-2009 12:34 AM
Question - Bare Root Orchid Plants wendy7 Orchids 27 24-10-2004 02:46 AM
How long can I hold bare root plants? Jefffooz Gardening 3 13-04-2004 09:02 AM
Bare root roses Jayne United Kingdom 1 23-04-2003 01:46 PM
Annual Bare-root Phal Sale Kenni Judd Orchids 1 28-03-2003 09:20 PM