Old 29-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Barry

Default Carparthian Walnut toxicity

I've been trying to grow rose for several years, without too much success.
They do produce some roses, but the plants seem to be stunted.
Recently I read that Walnut trees produce a toxin that hurts the growth of
many plants.
My rose garden is just beyond the driip line of a Carparthian Walnut tree.
I'm wondering if that is the reason I haven't done to well growing roses.
Can anyone tell me if roses are one of the plants that are affected by the
toxin?

Old 30-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Garry Williams

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:04:35 GMT, "Barry"
wrote:

I've been trying to grow rose for several years, without too much success.
They do produce some roses, but the plants seem to be stunted.
Recently I read that Walnut trees produce a toxin that hurts the growth of
many plants.
My rose garden is just beyond the driip line of a Carparthian Walnut tree.
I'm wondering if that is the reason I haven't done to well growing roses.
Can anyone tell me if roses are one of the plants that are affected by the
toxin?

Besides the toxins, I would worry about having my roses that close to
any tree, period, because the tree is going to suck up moisture and
nutrients that the roses need. Tree roots go a looong ways out. Move
the roses, if that's feasible, and if not, the only thing I can
suggest is trying to install a barrier to keep the tree roots away.
However, that might be a lot of work for something that may end up
being ultimately futile.

Sorry to be so negative, but trees, particularly those that give off
toxins, don't get along well with roses.

Garry

Old 30-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Tom Line

How about keeping the tree prunned and the leaves raked and rake out the
soil around the roses and put a bag of fresh in each season? All trees
produce something, usually in decaying leaves, that discourages growth and
germination of plants around them. I believe most often this effect is
through acid ph of the decaying process more than anything else. Can you
post an aerial photo of your house? Something in Google earth perhaps so
we can get an idea?

Barry wrote:
: I've been trying to grow rose for several years, without too much success.
: They do produce some roses, but the plants seem to be stunted.
: Recently I read that Walnut trees produce a toxin that hurts the growth of
: many plants.
: My rose garden is just beyond the driip line of a Carparthian Walnut tree.
: I'm wondering if that is the reason I haven't done to well growing roses.
: Can anyone tell me if roses are one of the plants that are affected by the
: toxin?
:
:

--

Tom Line

For Fun And Safety In Firearms Sports visit...
--
http://www.bobtuley.com --

Old 01-10-2005, 05:19 AM
Barry

I think I finally got the picture right.

"Barry" wrote in message
Thanks for informing me about Google Groups.
The picture isn't real clear however.
The rose garden is in the shape of a heart about 6 feet from the lower
right
corner of the swimming pool.
The Carparthian Walnut tree is closer to the house along the property
line.
The trees in the lower part of the picture were cut down last year.

Barry

Old 01-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Garry Williams

On 30 Sep 2005 08:15:12 -0400, Tom Line wrote:

How about keeping the tree prunned and the leaves raked and rake out the
soil around the roses and put a bag of fresh in each season? All trees

Futile at best. The tree roots are what do the real damage, both by
invading the bed and sucking up nutrients and moisture, and by, in the
case of some species, exuding toxins.

produce something, usually in decaying leaves, that discourages growth and
germination of plants around them. I believe most often this effect is
through acid ph of the decaying process more than anything else. Can you

If that were all it were, a little lime every year would do the trick,
but the problem runs deeper than that.

Check with the American Rose Society (ars.org) to find a Consulting
Rosarian in your area, or with your local Agricultural Extension
Agency to get real advice for one's specific area.

Garry

Old 01-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Tim Tompkins

I am a bit late in commenting about this.

Trees are a big problem near roses if they are to thrive. The root system
on a mature tree is very extensive.

An example given by an arborist; Picture a champaign goblet placed on a
dinner plate. The goblet represents the tree and the plate the root system.
The root system spreads well beyond the foliage canopy. A large tree can
uptake more than 100 gallons of water per day!

Competition for moisture is fierce and the tree will dominate.

Sun exposure is usually limited by the tree canopy, the rule of thumb is
the rose needs at LEAST 6 hours of direct sun light per day.

These are the BASICS.

Other factors MAY be toxins from the tree.

As another poster suggested contact the county agriculture extension and/or
an arborist.

The American Rose Society www.ars.org has links to local societies that may
be able to offer assistance.

Depending on your location the soil conditions and available nutrients will
affect growth.

A soil test is ALWAYS recommended. DON'T add lime to the soil unless you
are certain that the pH is too low.
The western US typically has alkaline soil conditions and adding lime simply
adds to the problem.

Tim
American Rose Society
Consulting Rosarian

Old 02-10-2005, 03:32 AM
Barry

Thank you all for your advice.
I've decided that I'm going to cut the tree down.
I'll probably wait until after the leaves fall.
Besides the problems you've mentioned, the tree also makes a mess.
I think it has antracnose. It suvived the initial attack several years
ago, but every year many leaves turn yellow and fall to the ground
especially in the spring, but continuing all summer long.
Also squirrels eat most of the nuts or knock them to the ground.
I've never had a walnut from the tree, even though it produces lots of
them.

Barry

Old 21-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Registered User

If that were all it were, a little adhesive every year would do the trick, but the botheration runs added than that. Check with the American Rose Society (ars.org) to acquisition a Consulting Rosarian in your area, or with your bounded Agricultural Extension Agency to get absolute admonition for one's specific area.
Grow tents

Sevin and toxicity? Unique Too Roses 11 20-04-2011 06:58 PM
CO2 toxicity question KMS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 05-06-2003 09:17 AM
oleander toxicity jane Gardening 1 02-06-2003 11:56 PM
Oleander/toxicity revisited Lou Minatti Gardening 3 06-05-2003 02:20 AM