Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 AM

Default different looking rose on an own roots rose

Help! I've noticed on a branch of my "Duchesse de Brabant" that there
is a strange rose. It is a single blossom with petals that are white
towards the eye and dark pink/red towards the edges. This is an own
root's rose and the branch in question is coming out at the same place
as all the other canes. The pictures in my Ortho book that look the
closest to the flower are the "Betty Prior," "Carefree Wonder," "Pink
Meidiland," and "Red Meidiland." Any ideas of what is going on?
Thanks.
Beth
Central VA zone 7

Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
ups.com...
Help! I've noticed on a branch of my "Duchesse de Brabant" that there
is a strange rose. It is a single blossom with petals that are white
towards the eye and dark pink/red towards the edges. This is an own
root's rose and the branch in question is coming out at the same place
as all the other canes. The pictures in my Ortho book that look the
closest to the flower are the "Betty Prior," "Carefree Wonder," "Pink
Meidiland," and "Red Meidiland." Any ideas of what is going on?
Thanks.
Beth
Central VA zone 7

Sometimes a rose bush will throw out a different
color rose. I have a Variegata di Bologna whose
blooms are red and white striped, but reliably
produces pure red (or reddish pink) roses on
occasion. So I wouldn't worry about it but
would enjoy.

Roses will throw off mutations which will
often result in a new color rose bush or even a
climber from a shrub rose (or vise versa). I'll
bet your Ortho book has a section on the history
of roses that discusses natural mutations.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 PM

Gail wrote:

Sometimes a rose bush will throw out a different
color rose. I have a Variegata di Bologna whose
blooms are red and white striped, but reliably
produces pure red (or reddish pink) roses on
occasion. So I wouldn't worry about it but
would enjoy.

This good to know. I was worried that the mutation would take over the
whole rose like rootstock will with grafted roses.

Beth

Old 08-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Tim Tompkins

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gail wrote:

Sometimes a rose bush will throw out a different
color rose. I have a Variegata di Bologna whose
blooms are red and white striped, but reliably
produces pure red (or reddish pink) roses on
occasion. So I wouldn't worry about it but
would enjoy.

This good to know. I was worried that the mutation would take over the
whole rose like rootstock will with grafted roses.

Beth

The mutation Gail mentions are fairly common and usually refered to as
'sports'.

You MIGHT be able to get a full bush by rooting a cutting.

Tim

Old 09-11-2005, 10:38 AM
dave weil

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 18:03:30 -0700, "Tim Tompkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Gail wrote:

Sometimes a rose bush will throw out a different
color rose. I have a Variegata di Bologna whose
blooms are red and white striped, but reliably
produces pure red (or reddish pink) roses on
occasion. So I wouldn't worry about it but
would enjoy.

This good to know. I was worried that the mutation would take over the
whole rose like rootstock will with grafted roses.

Beth

The mutation Gail mentions are fairly common and usually refered to as
'sports'.

You MIGHT be able to get a full bush by rooting a cutting.

Tim

Plus, you might get a local expert interested in propagating this,
because that's how some new varieties get started (and maybe you'll
get a rose named after you g. However, not all sports keep the
mutation and some revert back to the original form.