Old 25-11-2005, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tom Line

Default Cutting Back A Climber

How much should I cut back a Don Juan climber? It produces less and less
each year. Should I be cutting it down short each season instead of
leaving it long?

Tom Line

For Fun And Safety In Firearms Sports visit...
--
http://www.bobtuley.com --

Old 25-11-2005, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Tom Line" wrote in message
How much should I cut back a Don Juan climber? It produces less and less
each year. Should I be cutting it down short each season instead of
leaving it long?

I have a Don Juan and compared to the New
Dawn on the other side of the arbor, it is a
poor performer. However, it keeps chugging
along and producing few but gorgeous blooms
so I'm sticking with it.

That said, if you prune short a climber (cut
back all the canes) you risk doing it harm.
Preferred is to cut out one of the oldest (generally
largest) canes at the bud union.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 18-12-2005, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Anthony B

Tom,
From my experience with climbing roses, ( Several Blaze and a couple New
Dawn), best to leave them alone for the winter. If you feel the urgent need
to prune ( "trimming madness"), then Gail's advice is good. Personally, I
preffer to do my climber pruning in the spring, bringing the most unruly
canes down to about 3 feet. Be advised, old climbing rose canes can become
rather thick, so keep a good sharp and sturdy pair of long handled pruners
nearby.

Happy gardening,
Virgo91967