Old 19-03-2003, 02:08 AM
JimS.

Default growing roses indoors?

Has anyone grown roses in pots indoors? If a window gets good sun, and you
keep it watered, is there any reason the rose wouldn't do well? I checked
my two books but it's never mentioned....which I guess could be a clue?
(so, when you've run out of room outside, can they take over the inside of
your house, too?)

JimS.
Seattle

Old 19-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Allegra

"JimS." wrote
Has anyone grown roses in pots indoors? If a window gets good sun, and

you
keep it watered, is there any reason the rose wouldn't do well? I checked
my two books but it's never mentioned....which I guess could be a clue?
(so, when you've run out of room outside, can they take over the inside of
your house, too?)

JimS.
Seattle

Hello Jim,

we wish! Unfortunately there isn't a single rose you
can grow inside a house, unless you have a very humid
conservatory, and at that, they never do as well or even
as good as the ones outside.

Unlike orchids and other divas, our divas are aphid meal
and red spider cocktail when brought into the house.
It doesn't matter how much care you put into raising
them. Even when you try to mother them if you bring
them inside, you are bound to make matters worse.
Houses are by the very nature of conservation and
for human comfort way too tight and dry. Roses love
water and sunshine and fresh air. Without any of the
three they do become sickly and eventually die.

They suggest here and there that you can grow a micro
miniature inside a proper terrarium. Don't. Not only is
cruel to the rose, but if the terrarium works well,
powdery mildew and any other humidity provoked illness
is going to manifest itself with a vengeance. Why not to
do what we are doing? We are seriously pulling out a
brick patio in the back to make more space for potted
roses. Eventually I will have to move the fence in the
middle of the night when no one is watching and get
me another 5 or 6 feet since my neighbor doesn't want
to sell any of his property.

You really want to know what is awful about this? They
have nothing but barkdust all over their yard! ARGHHHH!

Allegra

Old 19-03-2003, 05:08 AM
JimS.

"Allegra" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote
Has anyone grown roses in pots indoors? If a window gets good sun, and

you
keep it watered, is there any reason the rose wouldn't do well? I

checked
my two books but it's never mentioned....which I guess could be a clue?
(so, when you've run out of room outside, can they take over the inside

of
your house, too?)

JimS.
Seattle

Why not to do what we are doing? We are seriously pulling out a
brick patio in the back to make more space for potted
roses. Eventually I will have to move the fence in the
middle of the night when no one is watching and get
me another 5 or 6 feet since my neighbor doesn't want
to sell any of his property.

all over their yard! ARGHHHH!

Allegra

Well, actually, I was going to take a "tree rose" I've got potted, to work.
My desk is in a corner of two windows, one of which is South-facing. So I
thought I might take the tree to work. I guess not. Hey, do you think the
company would mind if I knocked out a window?

JimS.

Old 19-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Allegra

"JimS." wrote

Well, actually, I was going to take a "tree rose" I've got potted, to

work.
My desk is in a corner of two windows, one of which is South-facing. So I
thought I might take the tree to work. I guess not. Hey, do you think

the
company would mind if I knocked out a window?

JimS.

Need help? says she with a big smile.
Maybe you could take your rose while blooming,
spray it with Safer soap to make sure it doesn't get any
unwelcome visitors, and once it is done blooming take it
back home. I see no harm in that. But wait until she is
blooming and bring it back as soon as she is done.
If there is any way to open the window it wouldn't
hurt to leave a tiny bit ajar at night. And of course
if your office leaves those hideous incandescent lights
on all night, I don't know how long the bloom will
last before they blow...

But it is worth the try in MHO,

Allegra

Old 19-03-2003, 06:08 AM
JimS.

"Allegra" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote

[...]

Nah, too much bother. The pot is pretty heavy, transporting it in the car
would be a pain in the butt....and besides, the office windows don't open.
It's just plate glass. I guess she stays at home on the front porch.

Old 20-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

JimS. wrote:
Has anyone grown roses in pots indoors? If a window gets good sun, and you
keep it watered, is there any reason the rose wouldn't do well? I checked
my two books but it's never mentioned....which I guess could be a clue?
(so, when you've run out of room outside, can they take over the inside of
your house, too?)

Small roses grow alright under flourescent lights. This is how I start
all my cuttings and grow them over the winter. The biggest problem I
have is that a flourescent light is not the sun and there really is no
substitute for that.

J.

Growing Roses Indoors Martin Gardening 1 16-07-2005 06:38 PM
Growing Roses Indoors Martin United Kingdom 1 16-07-2005 06:38 PM
Growing Micro/Minature Roses Indoors Marshall Dermer Roses 7 12-03-2004 11:24 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Gardening 2 24-02-2003 10:17 AM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 10:37 PM