Old 02-12-2005, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
William Barger

Default Best for Florida

Which roses are best for Central Florida? They will receive full sun in
a raised bed situation. I want to plant a red and a white behind low
lying Blue Daze. Mr. Lincoln would probably be my choice for the red.
Not sure about the white, or if Mr. Lincoln is compatible with Florida's
weather. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

Old 02-12-2005, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"William Barger" wrote in message
Which roses are best for Central Florida? They will receive full sun in
a raised bed situation. I want to plant a red and a white behind low
lying Blue Daze. Mr. Lincoln would probably be my choice for the red.
Not sure about the white, or if Mr. Lincoln is compatible with Florida's
weather. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

I'm in Southcentral TX and plant all kinds of
roses, modern and old garden, climbers, bush
roses, minis. I do mostly raised beds and
amend our local (fine clay) soil. My roses get
sulky during our hot summers but really perk up
in the spring and fall. I'm indifferent about
feeding but regular about watering.

I've had some of the hardiest roses succomb
to ... whatever! and some of the weakest roses
do well for years.

My advice (until/unless some Floridian comes
along to give you better advice) is to plant what
you want as long as you can find it locally (or
are willing to order online/by catalog) and give it
good care and hope for the best.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 29-12-2005, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

I also live on the Third Coast, near Galveston Bay, and plant roses I
like. Just purchased one each of Cl. Fourth of July, Double Delight and
SunSprite. I plan to raise them in pots! I am tired of moving off and
leaving beautiful roses to a strangers care! Only big problem here is
mildew. That can be fixed with air flow and sunlight most of the time.
I select for three things, Fragrance, Fragrance and good looks, to me.
;-)
Have fun.
JoeT
Baytown, Texas