Old 12-12-2005, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
bthache

Default Morden roses

Hello,

I'm new to this group and also new to rose bushes. This past summer, we
planted 4 Morden super winter hardy rose bushes and they did phenomenally
well. Two of them easily tripled in size from July to October and the other
two easily doubled in the same time period. And boy, did they all bloom!
It was a fabulous show. It was finally the cold, snow and heavy frost that
stopped them in late October. I never dreamed roses would bloom that late
into the autumn. The last of the buds are now frozen in place for the
winter.

We mulched the roots with cedar bark mulch for the winter but otherwise, did
nothing else to winterize them. I've never had rose bushes before so really
had no idea, aside from the mulch, what to do. I've got my fingers crossed
that they handle our severe winters alright.

What I'm wondering is what to do in the spring. Do I prune them? Do I
leave them alone to do their own thing? Have we made a mistake by not
covering them? (They are now buried in snow anyway... nature's own
insulation).

Here's one of my flowers from the summer.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...06070862IPYFin

Thanks for any advice.

--
Tammie - Northern Ontario, Canada
Near Lake Superior's North Shores

Old 12-12-2005, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"bthache" wrote in message
Hello,

Hi Tammie and welcome! I "know" you from
the rec.birds group. I mostly lurk there.

I'm new to this group and also new to rose bushes. This past summer, we
planted 4 Morden super winter hardy rose bushes and they did phenomenally
well. Two of them easily tripled in size from July to October and the
other two easily doubled in the same time period. And boy, did they all
bloom!

That's great. Sounds like you're having a
good first experience with roses.

It was a fabulous show. It was finally the cold, snow and heavy frost
that stopped them in late October. I never dreamed roses would bloom that
late into the autumn. The last of the buds are now frozen in place for
the winter.

My roses actually do better in the autumn. I
think most roses prefer more moderate
temperatures than they get around here.

We mulched the roots with cedar bark mulch for the winter but otherwise,
did nothing else to winterize them. I've never had rose bushes before so
really had no idea, aside from the mulch, what to do. I've got my fingers
crossed that they handle our severe winters alright.

Between the mulch, snow, and breeding, your
roses will probably be ok. You might want to
read up on winterizing, though. I can point you
to some articles:
www.ars.org
It's the American Rose Society web site.
If you read down the page you'll see a link
to Articles. That's the place to go. You
don't have to be a member of the ARS to
read the articles.

I notice there is a Canadian Rose Society:
http://www.canadianrosesociety.org/
That might be more useful for you.

Since you have four of the same roses, if
you decide to try additional winterizing
techniques, you might attempt an experiment:
leave two of the roses as you have them
now, and do something else with the other
two roses. See which method works best.
Keep notes.

What I'm wondering is what to do in the spring. Do I prune them? Do I
leave them alone to do their own thing? Have we made a mistake by not
covering them? (They are now buried in snow anyway... nature's own
insulation).

As you note, snow is an excellent insulator.
Pruning is usually done in the spring. Again,
check the web articles for advice. I'm not
familiar with the Mordan roses so you might
check online to see if there are any special
pruning needs for that type of rose.

There are some good beginning books. If
you can find Ortho's All About Roses, it
might be helpful to you. It's a slim book that
can be found in most bookstores and places
like Home Depot and Lowes. I would guess
that comparable stores in Canada might also
carry them. If you go to Amazon.com you
can find a picture and a description of the book.

Here's one of my flowers from the summer.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...06070862IPYFin

Very nice! It looks like a pink with a hint of
lavender or maybe a pale lavender. Lavender
is one of my favorite rose colors.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Tammie - Northern Ontario, Canada
Near Lake Superior's North Shores
http://community.webshots.com/user/thache
49.1304398 -85.8325272

rec.gardens.roses isn't currently a very active
newsgroup but a few hardcore members hang
around. As usual, take all advice (including
mine!) with a grain of salt, and check with
experts (online or books or local nurseries/
botanical gardens) whenever possible.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

Old 12-12-2005, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
bthache

Hi Gail, I 'know' you too..... just couldn't remember where from.

Thanks so much for the information. The Canadian Rose Society is exactly
what I was looking for and I've saved the link. I've already found my
particular roses in there so that's a huge help. The Morden roses are
stunning and after last summer's display, I dearly want to get more. I'm
hoping for whites, creams and yellows .... and maybe I'll look for some
lavenders like you mentioned.

I guess I can't really know for sure if I've done the wrong winterizing for
them until spring hits and we see what we find. I'm so curious about that
but unfortunately, I have another 5 months to wait. I know next to
nothing about pruning roses so that's where most of my researching will be.

This group may be quiet but it's good to know it's here. It will likely
come in handy for me in the future.

Thanks for the reply.

Tammie
Just above Lake Superior's North Shore
Zone 2b (roughly)
http://community.webshots.com/user/thache

news

Old 13-12-2005, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tim Tompkins

Hi Tammi

Welcome to the group and growing roses.

The Morden line of roses was developed in Canada at the Morden Research
Center. I believe that this is part of the Canadian Agriculture department.

Look at http://www.agr.gc.ca/cal/epub/1727e/1727_toc_e.html
You can find a lot of information and from the Canadian Rose Society.

I have a number of the Morden and Parkland roses; they are very good garden
roses and very hardy in Northern Colorado.

Tim

Old 13-12-2005, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
bthache

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for the link. I've saved it and will refer to it when
looking for new rose bushes next year.
--
Tammie
Just above Lake Superior's North Shore
Zone 2b (roughly)
http://community.webshots.com/user/thache

Hi Tammie

Old 29-12-2005, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Hello Group, good advice here! Do any of you know where I can get a Cl.
Double Delight? Been looking all over the Web.
Thanks for any link.
JoeT

Old 29-12-2005, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tim Tompkins

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Group, good advice here! Do any of you know where I can get a Cl.
Double Delight? Been looking all over the Web.
Thanks for any link.
JoeT

You did not tell us where you are located!

Start with www.helpmefind.com/roses

Tim

Old 29-12-2005, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Baytown Texas, just outside Houston!
Joet

Old 29-12-2005, 08:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Anthony B

JoeT,
I think the reason you cannot find a climbing "Double Delight" is because
such a creature , if it currently exists, is not available on the retail
market. To best of my considerable knowledge, it DOESN"T exist.

There is a Hybrid Tea Rose named "Double Delight" that is simply "to die
for" pretty. It starts out cream white then turns cherry red starting at the
outside edges of the petals inwards. Personaly, it reminds me of Vanilla
icecream with cherry syrup It should be available bare-root at any Box Store
garden center or your favorite actual retail nursery very soon now.

Perhaps you may have mis-rembered the type of rose or the name?

Anthony B.
Ky. Nursery and Landscapers Association
Certified Nurseryman

ups.com...

Old 29-12-2005, 09:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Anthony B

Default reply retraction "CL. Double Delight"

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Group, good advice here! Do any of you know where I can get a Cl.
Double Delight? Been looking all over the Web.
Thanks for any link.
JoeT

Joe, Cl. Double Delight does indeed exist. ( used Tim Tompkins posted link:
http://www.helpmefind.com/roses )

I have been searching the net extensivly for a supplier for you. None of
the ones listed at helpmefind.com/roses currently have it listed as
available. I get the feeling that this rose is going to be very hard to
find and will probably have a price reflecting this.

I will continue to keep searching for you and will post a reply as soon as I
can find a grower.

Anthony B.

Old 29-12-2005, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Anthony,Thanks for you effort! I will pay for a plant or a cutting. It
may take some time but surely one will show up.
Best Regards
JoeT
Baytown, Texas

Old 30-12-2005, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tim Tompkins

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Baytown Texas, just outside Houston!
Joet

HelpMeFind does not list a source for Cl. Double Delight, sorry I did not
look before my previous post.

Since you are in the Houston area I encourage you to seek help/assistance
from the Houston Rose Society,
www.houstonrose.org

BTW, Cl. Double Delight is not a Morden rose, it is registered as a Cl.
Hybrid Tea, a sport of Double Delight.
Tim