Old 09-01-2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default New Rose Garden

"MJC" wrote in message
Thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions. Here is a list of
the roses I have picked out. Do any of you have experience with any of
them?
I know that the Tropicana is a little touchy but I have had one before so
think I will be fine.

"Let Freedom Ring" Red
"Electron" Pink
"Mellow Yellow"
"Tropicana"
"Peace"
"Love and Peace"
"Full Sail" white
"Perfect Moment"
"Medallion" peach

MJ

I have Peace, Love & Peace, and Perfect Moment.
None are what I would call outstanding landscape
roses (at least, not in my local conditions), but all
have beautiful blooms and I'm glad to have them,
even if I do worry they're going to die on me at
any moment.

As someone else suggested, you might also look
at the Austin roses. I've had several varieties
NOT do well, but Pat Austin (as one example) is
one of my best (healthiest, prettiest) bushes.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tim Tompkins

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"MJC" wrote in message
[...]

Keep in mind the climate that the David Austin roses were developed in and
for, the British Isles.

I love Pat Austin, Graham Thomas, Golden Celebration and Abraham Darby.
They all do well in my zone 5 climate.

A modern classic that has one drawback, mildew!!!
TOUCH OF CLASS (HT)

I know it sounds like a broken record:

"Contact your local rose society for recommendations"

www.ars.org and find a local society.

Tim

Old 12-01-2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Ideas you might consider;
Color: Grouping seems to have greater impact than mixed planting.
Fragrance: A GREAT added benefit from beautiful roses.
Size: Planning pays, don't have a big rose up front obscure your
smaller ones.
Spacing: Good spacing keeps many ills at bay. Air flow stops mildew.
Type: Many or few, Three Mr. Lincolns in a grouping is to die for!
Loose, well watered compost rich soil and you are home free ;-)
JTillery

New year , new place , new garden Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 3 16-04-2013 06:55 PM
New Garden Website needs rose aticles Terry Roses 8 25-02-2004 12:17 PM
New Garden Website needs rose aticles Terry Roses 0 21-02-2004 02:21 PM
new rose garden Jenny Rizzo Gardening 4 08-09-2003 06:42 AM
San Jose Heritage Rose Garden Has a New URL Mel Hulse Roses 0 02-05-2003 06:32 AM