Old 03-01-2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
MJC

Default New Rose Garden

I have had many Roses in the past but it is now time to establish my
retirement raised bed.
I am just getting started with my planning so I am looking for ideas and
suggestions. I am probably most interest in Hybrid Teas. I am in North
Carolina, zone 7. Anyone want to help?

Thanks in Advance,
MJ

Old 03-01-2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"MJC" wrote in message
I have had many Roses in the past but it is now time to establish my
retirement raised bed.
I am just getting started with my planning so I am looking for ideas and
suggestions. I am probably most interest in Hybrid Teas. I am in North
Carolina, zone 7. Anyone want to help?

Thanks in Advance,
MJ

Welcome to rec.gardens.roses!

My zone is sufficiently different from yours that
our experiences might not be comparable. For
example, winters here almost never get cold
enough for my roses to go dormant. I'm guessing
you do get a dormant period most winters.

However, I do have about 150 roses, moderns
as well as old gardens; climbers, shrub types
and minis. About 1/2 are in raised beds. I lose
about a half dozen per year on average and
about half the time will replace with a different
rose. I've also grown a few varieties from cuttings.
I've been growing roses since late 1999.

None of that makes me an expert by any means,
but it does make me willing to share experiences
on individual roses.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"MJC" wrote in message
I have had many Roses in the past but it is now time to establish my
retirement raised bed.
I am just getting started with my planning so I am looking for ideas and
suggestions. I am probably most interest in Hybrid Teas. I am in North
Carolina, zone 7. Anyone want to help?

Thanks in Advance,
MJ

Sorry - one more thought I forgot to add.

Do you have any color or size preferences?
There are so many HTs that if you could
narrow down your interests a bit, it might
help weed out (so to speak...) suggestions
that wouldn't suit you as well.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 04-01-2006, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Anthony B

"MJC" wrote in message
I have had many Roses in the past but it is now time to establish my
retirement raised bed.
I am just getting started with my planning so I am looking for ideas and
suggestions. I am probably most interest in Hybrid Teas. I am in North
Carolina, zone 7. Anyone want to help?

Thanks in Advance,
MJ

Mj,
Plant whatever roses you like.. whatever draws your eye..
Roses aren't difficult at all.. but you have to check on them at least every
couple days, follow your weekly anti-blackspot spray schedule and keep the
aphids under control.

Like I said, other than that, simple

Old 04-01-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
MJC

Any information on raised beds? I have been doing some reading but first
hand knowledge is always better. Thanks for the help.

MJ

Old 05-01-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tim Tompkins

"MJC" wrote in message
Any information on raised beds? I have been doing some reading but first
hand knowledge is always better. Thanks for the help.

MJ

Raised beds allow complete control of the soil, provide better drainage and
are somewhat easier to access due to the height.

Mine are approximately 16" of a rich garden soil on top of the local clay.
The sides are 3 2"X6" redwood on edge with 4"X4" posts.

My results are excellent and keeping the roses at least 2' from the edges
provides winter protection in a zone 5 climate.

Tim

Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message

"MJC" wrote in message
Any information on raised beds? I have been doing some reading but first
hand knowledge is always better. Thanks for the help.

MJ

Raised beds allow complete control of the soil, provide better drainage
and
are somewhat easier to access due to the height.

Mine are approximately 16" of a rich garden soil on top of the local clay.
The sides are 3 2"X6" redwood on edge with 4"X4" posts.

My results are excellent and keeping the roses at least 2' from the edges
provides winter protection in a zone 5 climate.

Tim

For my raised beds, I dug down about 10" in fine
(black) clay and built up about 9" with three levels
of landscape timbers. Filled the hole with a local
rose soil mix.

I found the soil drying out rapidly in summer
heat (which can be fierce around here). For the
next raised beds I mixed some clay back in and
that seems to work better. I also mix perlite
in whenever I replace roses and put in new soil.
That seems to help both with drainage and
with water retention.

I'm able to plant a bit closer to the edge than
Tim since our area seldom gets freezes, but
not too close to the edge because of the drying
problem already mentioned.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 05-01-2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tom Line

Try to keep it interesting and don't let a set plan keep you from having
fun with it. Have a bird bath, a place for sunflowers and other colorful
things, and other stuff like a trellece arcway. Raised beds and mulch are
kind of visually bland especially during periods when flowering is
limited.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Tom Line" wrote in message

Try to keep it interesting and don't let a set plan keep you from having
fun with it. Have a bird bath, a place for sunflowers and other colorful
things, and other stuff like a trellece arcway. Raised beds and mulch are
kind of visually bland especially during periods when flowering is
limited.

That is so true. Even with trellises I got tired
of gray/brown during our so-called winter,
and painted parts of the trellises blue. Looks
nice. I also add the occasional Mexican
art pottery for color.

Gail

Old 05-01-2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tom Line

Yes, a little pot always makes things look nice.

: nice. I also add the occasional Mexican
: art pottery for color.
:
: Gail
:
:

--

Tom Line

For Fun And Safety In Firearms Sports visit...
--
http://www.bobtuley.com --

Old 06-01-2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tim Tompkins

I also mulch VERY heavily with a organic source.

Depending on the price and availability it is usually ground bark or shreded
tree trimings.

Mulch insulates, retains moisture, deters critters and is a slow and
constant source of surface compost. Depending on conditions it lasts 2-4
years before it needs additional material to be added.

I do NOT use landscape fabric, IMHO it is a waste of money, better spent on
mulch.

Tim

Tim

Old 07-01-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
MJC

Thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions. Here is a list of
the roses I have picked out. Do any of you have experience with any of them?
I know that the Tropicana is a little touchy but I have had one before so I
think I will be fine.

"Let Freedom Ring" Red
"Electron" Pink
"Mellow Yellow"
"Tropicana"
"Peace"
"Love and Peace"
"Full Sail" white
"Perfect Moment"
"Medallion" peach

MJ

Old 08-01-2006, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
torgo

I have or have had Peace, Tropicana, Love And Peace, and Perfect
Moment.

Tropicana certainly was touchy - it did fine one year, but when it
was transplanted the next year it promptly went into shock and never
recovered.

Peace has been surprisingly hardy for me (zone 7b, Atlanta). Mine was
a "rescue" leftover clearance bagged rose from underneath the rack at
Home Depot. Four years later, it's still alive and even put out new
blooms in December.

Love And Peace didn't turn out anything like the pictures in the
catalogs. It's blooms are similar to Peace but not as nice. (It's
essentially Chicago Peace with glossier foliage.) I'm in the process
of moving, and my two Love And Peace were among the first roses I gave
away.

I had bought Perfect Moment for myself at a local nursery. My
girlfriend bought a different rose that trip. Hers didn't do well
that spring, so I gave her my Perfect Moment. It's still doing very
well in her yard, and I like the look. If yours bombs out on you,
Chihuly or Granada would make nice substitutes.

Some of my other favorites among the HT/Floribundas:

Reds: Kentucky Derby (classic red, perfect bloom form, and performs
well in hot summers), Chrysler Imperial (fragrant, parent of the
Oklahoma / Papa Meilland / Mr. Lincoln group, but I find it grows
better than its offspring in my yard).

Pinks: First Prize (easy to grow, nice satiny texture), The McCartney
Rose (big, full of blooms, and extremely fragrant).

Others: Scentimental (funky stripes, fragrant, easy to grow),
Granada (can be touchy like Tropicana, but otherwise it's like Perfect
Moment with fragrance), Brigadoon (creamy pink/white blend, blooms
like a fool, but the thorns are vicious), Betty Boop (blooms non
stop).

Old 08-01-2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
ed

MJC wrote:
Thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions. Here is a list of
the roses I have picked out. Do any of you have experience with any of them?
I know that the Tropicana is a little touchy but I have had one before so I
think I will be fine.

"Let Freedom Ring" Red
"Electron" Pink
"Mellow Yellow"
"Tropicana"
"Peace"
"Love and Peace"
"Full Sail" white
"Perfect Moment"
"Medallion" peach

MJ

Don't forget to try some David Austin roses. I too like hybrid teas-my
favorite (also a very touchy rose) is Double Delight

I have 150 or so roses in NC Winston Salem, have had good luck, loose
about 3 or 4 a year. Have never lost an Austin, and I can easily make
more Austins as the cuttings root well.

Your yard will have its own environment, diiferent from all others. Find
out about alfalfa, cotton seed meal, phosphorous, and other spring
applications. Experiment-find out what you like and what works best for
your roses in your yard. No matter what you grow, the bugs and pests
will find them.

Raised beds are good for drainage and for ease of care of the roses. I
have some raised beds. Plant roses so that bud union is level with
surrounding soil, not below or above, just even. I am in same zone and
this works for me.

Use google to search for information and continue to ask questions. Be
patient with your roses, pay attention to them every day, and be willing
to let them teach you.

Good luck
ed
Old 08-01-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
dave weil

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:43:28 -0500, "MJC" wrote:

"Peace"

I've got Desert Peace. An absolutely STUNNING rose. No two blooms are
the same nor do they develop the same as the blooms age. They have
very vivid yellow, red, violet and orange colors. Plus, they have a
long life, both on the stem and in the vase.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A1511&tab=10

If you want me to send you a pic or two from my plant, write me
privately and I'll send them to you.

I highly recommend this plant, unless you don't like vivid, almost
"paintlike" colors, and some people prefer more "natural" colors.

New year , new place , new garden Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 3 16-04-2013 06:55 PM
New Garden Website needs rose aticles Terry Roses 8 25-02-2004 12:17 PM
New Garden Website needs rose aticles Terry Roses 0 21-02-2004 02:21 PM
new rose garden Jenny Rizzo Gardening 4 08-09-2003 06:42 AM
San Jose Heritage Rose Garden Has a New URL Mel Hulse Roses 0 02-05-2003 06:32 AM