Old 20-03-2003, 08:21 AM
torgo

Default still another batch of roses

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:36:20 GMT, "JimS."
wrote:

Kentucky Derby - grown by Nelson's Florida Roses, from a nursery off
of I-95.

Great red one. I bought a crappy Kentucky Derby my first year (Home Depot),
and even though she's down to only two canes from the bud union, they're
really big honkin' ones. Grows like a weed. Mine is pretty prone to
blackspot here in Seattle though.

Good to know it really is a strong grower, since it's not as fragrant
as the other reds. I like the foliage, too. I'd heard it was fairly
carefree as far as spraying for blackspot, so I guess I'll have to
keep an eye on it.

Blue Girl - another bagged rose rescue. Barely any roots, a hack job
of pruning, and one of the canes partly severed by string from
packaging. If Amnesty International ever takes on the packaged rose
industry, this could be their poster child. I planted her close to
Nearly Rootless Nick, so this miserable Blue Girl just had to be
nicknamed "Moaning Myrtle".

My Blue Girl ought to be named "Typhoid Mary". Probably the one rose I have
most prone to catch EVERYTHING, the little tramplette. Gotta really be
diligent with the spraying, but nice blooms when they're healthy.

Yikes. I guess if Moaning Myrtle doesn't make it through the spring
( I don't see how she could - she's been through the rose equivalent
of a slasher movie) it might not be such a tragedy after all.

Chrysler Imperial is new for me this year. I felt like it was one of those
Classics I just had to have. Looks good so far, but just getting
established. Europeana is probably my brightest red, love it. Seems to get
powdery mildew more than some of the others, and I wish it was more
prolific, but that might just be because of where I have it. You'll like
this one....

I already had one Chrysler Imperial that I bought last summer (to
replace a Home Depot rescue that didn't make it). Seems like a slow
but very steady grower. Nice bushy habit. And the blooms get darker
with age, even turning purple. Super cool. A particular female
friend of mine really digs it, which (since I'm single) naturally
makes me appreciate it even more.

Hey, if you really like reds, check out Taboo. Mine gets powdery mildew
sometimes, but if you keep on it, it's not too bad. Very strong grower,
mine's in a pot too. It's almost black, it's so dark, and very velvety.
Very cool.

Hmmm.... black velvet. Sounds as cool as the other side of the
pillow. I'll have to try it out. I'm also looking at Red Planet as
a possible future addition to the gallery of Reds.

Welcome to the obsession!

JimS.
Seattle

Most people choose their hobbies. Our hobby has chosen us.
Old 20-03-2003, 08:56 AM
torgo

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:34:28 GMT, "Allegra"
wrote:

Oh, no you don't. Faced with certain death all and any
measures are not only possible but acceptable. Cheap
garbage cans filled with potting soil can hold those babies
until the second coming is done.

I know that others may not approve but between the choice
of having my babies drown and taking them to higher ground
guess what? I will dig every one of them out, prune them back
to kingdom come to make them think that winter is here,
and put them inside the garage or on higher ground inside some
buckets or even cardboard boxes for lack of anything else
with enough soil to cover their roots. And if the weather says
the monsoon will stay until next week, then I bet you could
put them well wrapped in wet newspapers inside making sure
they are still moist until it passes. What do you really have to
lose except some beautiful roses otherwise?

I'm considering digging up every one of them, putting them in pots,
bringing them inside, and keeping all 41 of them on my kitchen floor
until this mysterious alleged yellow orb decides to show itself in the
daytime sky once again. (I'm a single male, so what's the point of a
kitchen, anyway?)

My neighbors already think I'm a little obsessive with the divas.
This will make them think I've gone totally bonkers, a la Richard
Dreyfus in "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind".

Thank you ! It's reassuring to know I'm not alone in my new-found
dementia. If I see standing water or if tomorrow's forecast still has
no end in sight, I'm doing it. (Maybe I should also figure out just
how big a "cubit" is, just in case...)

Old 20-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Cass

In article g3dea.145948$L1.20297@sccrnsc02, Allegra
wrote:

"Cass" wrote
Guess who is the first to bloom this year? Safrano! (Well, Fortune's
Double Yellow is trying to open up too.) Talk about a rose slow to
build, Safrano is right at the top of the list. I bought this tiny
twiglet from Ralph Moore's place on January 11, 2000. Just now it is
about 30" tall and pulls buds out of the air like a magician. I love
buff roses and the old yolky yellow, the shades of Lady Hillingdon,
Danae, English Garden, Crepuscule, Buff Beauty (waiting for Regina to
claim her). I have pots of Golden Celebration, Celine Forestier,
Sunshine Sally (Poor little Sunshine Sally suffers from the yellow
curse [blackspot]), and Flutterbye waiting to join their yolky
sisters...just as soon as I excavate some new rose bunkers.

Hi darling,

Listen I have Crepuscle and she is not a yellow-yellow.

I agree completely. None of the roses I listed is yellow-yellow. I
think of them as golden.

There is something about
yellow roses and the implication in both the Spanish
and Italian folklore that they represent jealousy that
perhaps permeated my formative years or something.

That is interesting, something I never knew.

I love peaches, apricots,

So do I. And just as soon as I find one that doesn't succumb to rust
and that blooms non-stop, you'll be the first to know. The Brits have
produced dozens of apricoty roses within the past 5 years, and I sure
wish we could get our hands on them.

I love Ralph Moore
and I respect his magnum opus but there is something
about miniatures that makes me think they need fertilizer.
Never mind, let's don't go there. I have always thought
of them as *the barbies of roses*.

Oh oh. Quotable moment. I share your pain, sister.

I just think a rose is voluptuous and must flower with
abandonment, should bob sometimes on its neck out of
sheer sensuality and I like the almost vulgar abundance
of a bloom bursting forth with petals and fragrance.
Minis always look stilted to me. As if something happened
and they just never got "there".

Heh heh. They've been banned here. I refuse to think of a 10 foot rose
an a mini and hereby decree that it is not.

[concerning Persian yellow] We parted ways honorably. I gave her
away and never subjected myself to another.

Yet.

My refrain.
Old 20-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Regina

wrote:

"Cass" wrote
Guess who is the first to bloom this year? Safrano!

Too tender for Reno, but doing well in Auckland.

I love
buff roses and the old yolky yellow, the shades of Lady Hillingdon,
Danae, English Garden, Crepuscule, Buff Beauty (waiting for Regina to
claim her).

Oh!! I adore buff yellow roses too. Lady H just did its first (mild)
winter here, tucked up under the shelter of Sally Holmes. English
Garden - in a 15 gallon pot - got moved last summer to a full sun spot
and instantly came alive. It looks like this is one that totally hates
too much shade.

And Buff Beauty, which Cass knows I've ordered three times now, only to
get it scratched before delivery each time; I was hoping it would
finally perform for her, under threat of excommunication, but if it has
now been potted and exiled, ok, well I am READY. I don't know how it
will do here but am most interested to find out.

Next trip I make down the hill, I'll need to bring lots of plastic for
transporting roses. GOT to make it to Vintage this time too!! (Hmmm,
What does Cass want that she hasn't already bought herself??)

I have pots of Golden Celebration, Celine Forestier,
Sunshine Sally (Poor little Sunshine Sally suffers from the yellow
curse [blackspot]), and Flutterbye waiting to join their yolky
sisters...just as soon as I excavate some new rose bunkers.

I didn't know Flutterbye was yolky. I think I need to see a Plant in
Bloom.

Allegra wrote:
I love peaches, apricots,

So do I. And just as soon as I find one that doesn't succumb to rust
and that blooms non-stop, you'll be the first to know.

Which ones have you tried? Mrs. Oakley Fisher is non-stop here though I
know from nothing 'bout rust.

The Brits have
produced dozens of apricoty roses within the past 5 years, and I sure
wish we could get our hands on them.

A couple of names please?
What should I be lusting for?

[Allegra]
I love Ralph Moore
and I respect his magnum opus but there is something
about miniatures that makes me think they need fertilizer.

This cracks me up.

Never mind, let's don't go there. I have always thought
of them as *the barbies of roses*.

[Cass]
Oh oh. Quotable moment. I share your pain, sister.

Have you noticed Ruby Pendent at the SJHRG?

I just think a rose is voluptuous and must flower with
abandonment, should bob sometimes on its neck out of
sheer sensuality and I like the almost vulgar abundance
of a bloom bursting forth with petals and fragrance.
Minis always look stilted to me. As if something happened
and they just never got "there".

Heh heh. They've been banned here. I refuse to think of a 10 foot rose
an a mini and hereby decree that it is not.

Cass, remember that big spreading bush whose shape you liked along my
driveway? It's a Moore cl mi (which ought to root easily):

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses...ingjackie.html

[concerning Persian yellow] We parted ways honorably. I gave her
away and never subjected myself to another.

Yet.

My refrain.

An easier, and similar, rose for here is Harison's yellow. MUCH easier
as it is already established all over this neighborhood and all I have
to do to enjoy it is drive or walk by at the right time of year. Right
now the clump on the main road looks like a huge nasty bramble patch.

Regina
Old 20-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Shiva

dave weil wrote:

Oh yes, Papa is a wonder. With a tall, stately, candelabra shape, it's
oneof those few "bouquet quality" well-shaped red roses with a scent.

Mine is about 7 feet tall and it only gets sun until 1 pm.

I wonder if it has as straight and upright a form as Mr. Lincoln. Have you
grown Abe, Dave?

Don't forget the amazing Graham Thomas.

Didn't we have this discussion when I was deciding between Graham and
Golden Celebration? I chose the latter because it won fragrance awards and
I had the impression it was smaller than GT--the former being true and the
latter not, I later learned.

Now it's time to teach the secret handshake...

No, I believe those days are over! ;0)

Old 20-03-2003, 06:44 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:54:16 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

Oh yes, Papa is a wonder. With a tall, stately, candelabra shape, it's
oneof those few "bouquet quality" well-shaped red roses with a scent.

Mine is about 7 feet tall and it only gets sun until 1 pm.

I wonder if it has as straight and upright a form as Mr. Lincoln. Have you
grown Abe, Dave?

No I haven't. Here's the form:

http://www.pbase.com/image/14518841

Don't forget the amazing Graham Thomas.

Didn't we have this discussion when I was deciding between Graham and
Golden Celebration? I chose the latter because it won fragrance awards and
I had the impression it was smaller than GT--the former being true and the
latter not, I later learned.

Perhaps. I don't recall...

Now it's time to teach the secret handshake...

No, I believe those days are over! ;0)

I guess I didn't get the memo g.
Old 20-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Unique Too

torgo writes:

Wouldn't a secret twelve-step program be more appropriate?

Torgo, Allegra and I recently discussed this possibility. The conclusion: It
doesn't work. No one has ever been successful in completing the 12 steps
(except the 12 steps from the car to the nursery).
Old 06-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Cass

Regina wrote:
Cass wrote:
Allegra wrote:
"Cass" wrote

Oh!! I adore buff yellow roses too. Lady H just did its first (mild)
winter here, tucked up under the shelter of Sally Holmes. English
Garden - in a 15 gallon pot - got moved last summer to a full sun spot
and instantly came alive. It looks like this is one that totally hates
too much shade.

How large is English Garden in your pot?

And Buff Beauty, which Cass knows I've ordered three times now, only to
get it scratched before delivery each time; I was hoping it would
finally perform for her, under threat of excommunication, but if it has
now been potted and exiled, ok, well I am READY. I don't know how it
will do here but am most interested to find out.

Ya mean I can dig it up? Consider it done. We'll need help getting it
in the car, more like you'll a trailer.

Next trip I make down the hill, I'll need to bring lots of plastic for
transporting roses. GOT to make it to Vintage this time too!! (Hmmm,
What does Cass want that she hasn't already bought herself??)

Oh, nothing. I have enough roses. ;-P

I didn't know Flutterbye was yolky. I think I need to see a Plant in
Bloom.

Me too. I took a chance. Even if it's yellow, it's okay. My family
won't let me get rid of Sunsprite, so it will have company.

The Brits have produced dozens of apricoty roses within the past 5
years, and I sure wish we could get our hands on them.

A couple of names please? What should I be lusting for?

I would start with Great Expectations. But just cruise the Crocker,
Harkness and Dickson roses on the English sites.

Have you noticed Ruby Pendent at the SJHRG?

No, and if it's with the minis, I probably won't because there is never
enough time to get through that collection.

I just think a rose is voluptuous and must flower with
abandonment, should bob sometimes on its neck out of
sheer sensuality and I like the almost vulgar abundance
of a bloom bursting forth with petals and fragrance.
Minis always look stilted to me. As if something happened
and they just never got "there".

Heh heh. They've been banned here. I refuse to think of a 10 foot rose
an a mini and hereby decree that it is not.

Cass, remember that big spreading bush whose shape you liked along my
driveway? It's a Moore cl mi (which ought to root easily):

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses...ingjackie.html

Wow, great looking. Are those reflexed petals typical (I love them), or
is that a special deal in warm weather?
Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Regina

Cass wrote:

Regina wrote:

How large is English Garden in your pot?

Two feet above soil level after light pruning, with a fairly narrow profile. I
suspect it will be taller and bushier this year after having been moved out of
the too cold and shady spot it had been in. I've had it a few years and it had
always sulked, but once in its new position late last summer, it immediately
started pumping out blooms.

And Buff Beauty, which Cass knows I've ordered three times now, only to
get it scratched before delivery each time; I was hoping it would
finally perform for her, under threat of excommunication, but if it has
now been potted and exiled, ok, well I am READY. I don't know how it
will do here but am most interested to find out.

Ya mean I can dig it up? Consider it done. We'll need help getting it
in the car, more like you'll a trailer.

eek!! Will I be able to fit it in? I may need to make a point of leaving most
of my standard camping gear at home next trip.

GOT to make it to Vintage this time too!! (Hmmm,
What does Cass want that she hasn't already bought herself??)

Oh, nothing. I have enough roses. ;-P

heh, VERY funny! We both had "enough" roses long ago; barely even slows us
down.

I didn't know Flutterbye was yolky. I think I need to see a Plant in
Bloom.

Me too. I took a chance. Even if it's yellow, it's okay. My family
won't let me get rid of Sunsprite, so it will have company.

From the little I saw of the one Julia brought to Mel a couple of years ago, it
was a very nice yellow that would look great on your wall of shame. And now I
understand why you have hung onto the nearly fluorescent Sunsprite.

The Brits have produced dozens of apricoty roses within the past 5
years, and I sure wish we could get our hands on them.

A couple of names please? What should I be lusting for?

I would start with Great Expectations. But just cruise the Crocker,
Harkness and Dickson roses on the English sites.

Will do. It is finally SUNNY today and I'm headed out ASAP.

Have you noticed Ruby Pendent at the SJHRG?

No, and if it's with the minis, I probably won't because there is never
enough time to get through that collection.

What an understatement. Last year I spent four straight days in the SJHRG. I
ran out of endurance each day, and could have kept on like that for weeks.

Cass, remember that big spreading bush whose shape you liked along my
driveway? It's a Moore cl mi (which ought to root easily):

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses...ingjackie.html

Wow, great looking. Are those reflexed petals typical (I love them), or
is that a special deal in warm weather?

Yes, the reflexed petals are typical, and it blooms all season. The longer I
have that rose, the more I love it.

Regina

Old 07-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Cass

Regina wrote: Cass wrote: Regina
wrote:

How large is English Garden in your pot?

Two feet above soil level after light pruning, with a fairly narrow
profile. I suspect it will be taller and bushier this year after
having been moved out of the too cold and shady spot it had been in.
I've had it a few years and it had always sulked, but once in its new
position late last summer, it immediately started pumping out blooms.

Mine's the same kind of runt, but the plant that sold me on the rose is
a good 3 1/2 or 4 feet. In fact, next winter I have to remember to
thin out the canes in the center because it's getting crowded in there.
EG is an essential rose for arrangements. Buff goes with everything.
Does Climbing Jackie handle the vase, or is it strickly garden
material?

And Buff Beauty, which Cass knows I've ordered three times now,
only to get it scratched before delivery each time; I was hoping
it would finally perform for her, under threat of
excommunication, but if it has now been potted and exiled, ok,
well I am READY. I don't know how it will do here but am most
interested to find out.

Ya mean I can dig it up? Consider it done. We'll need help getting
it in the car, more like you'll a trailer.

eek!! Will I be able to fit it in? I may need to make a point of
leaving most of my standard camping gear at home next trip.

I didn't dig it up, just kidding. Maybe BR next fall? Keep me posted. I
do want that space for Celine Forestier, but she's still in a 5 gallon
pot and will be for a while.

I didn't know Flutterbye was yolky. I think I need to see a
Plant in Bloom.

Me too. I took a chance. Even if it's yellow, it's okay. My family
won't let me get rid of Sunsprite, so it will have company.

From the little I saw of the one Julia brought to Mel a couple of
years ago, it was a very nice yellow that would look great on your
wall of shame. And now I understand why you have hung onto the
nearly fluorescent Sunsprite.

Actually, it was destined for the blue and yellow garden. We'll see.
It's still small.

Cass, remember that big spreading bush whose shape you liked
along my driveway? It's a Moore cl mi (which ought to root
easily):

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses...ingjackie.html

Wow, great looking. Are those reflexed petals typical (I love
them), or is that a special deal in warm weather?

Yes, the reflexed petals are typical, and it blooms all season. The
longer I have that rose, the more I love it.

Yum.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Regina

wrote:

How large is English Garden in your pot?

Two feet above soil level after light pruning, with a fairly narrow
profile. I suspect it will be taller and bushier this year after
having been moved out of the too cold and shady spot it had been in.
I've had it a few years and it had always sulked, but once in its new
position late last summer, it immediately started pumping out blooms.

Mine's the same kind of runt, but the plant that sold me on the rose is
a good 3 1/2 or 4 feet.

Then that's what I'll hope for from mine this year, though the pot sitting on
asphalt might limit it. When my pots sit on bare dirt, they thrust their roots
down into the soil and attain their full size.

In fact, next winter I have to remember to
thin out the canes in the center because it's getting crowded in there.
EG is an essential rose for arrangements. Buff goes with everything.
Does Climbing Jackie handle the vase, or is it strickly garden
material?

I don't bring things in too often, but I recall that it lasted well.

[Buff Beauty]

Ya mean I can dig it up? Consider it done. We'll need help getting
it in the car, more like you'll a trailer.

eek!! Will I be able to fit it in? I may need to make a point of
leaving most of my standard camping gear at home next trip.

I didn't dig it up, just kidding.

heh, good because I will need as much room as possible for the Vintage loot.

Maybe BR next fall? Keep me posted. I
do want that space for Celine Forestier, but she's still in a 5 gallon
pot and will be for a while.

BR would be easier I'm sure. Whew!! Though I still hope that it surprises and
delights you, if it doesn't, I'll have a place for it. Strange how I hear such
varying reports on this one.

[Flutterbye]

Actually, it was destined for the blue and yellow garden. We'll see.
It's still small.

It won't be. Fence eating material.

Regina

how to make a good cement batch for an upcoming pond project? urmomass Ponds 2 12-05-2004 01:06 AM
and still yet another batch of new roses... torgo Roses 0 30-05-2003 01:32 AM
a small batch of rose pictures torgo Roses 1 14-05-2003 02:56 PM
Another Batch of Roses Cass Roses 24 20-03-2003 03:32 AM
Frogs... the new batch Darren Jackson Ponds 6 26-02-2003 03:15 PM