Old 19-03-2003, 09:56 PM
torgo

Default still another batch of roses

Hi gang. I'm a newcomer to rose growing, but I think I've already
become a full fledged addict. This time last year, I had a single
plant. Now I'm up to 41 (in 24 varieties) and making room for six or
seven more.

This season's bounty so far -

Duet - from Ashdown Roses.

Kentucky Derby - grown by Nelson's Florida Roses, from a nursery off
of I-95. (The owner won't carry any roses but Nelson's, which are
grown nearby. He said "no matter who ships 'em, freight, UPS,
whatever, they come out lookin' like someone's played basketball with
them.")

Kentucky Derby - boxed ("Paramount Premium" , for those who enjoy a
good oxymoron), purchased locally last month in case I didn't find one
on last week's trip to FL.

Christian Dior - does anyone else here grow these? Or am I off my
rocker on this one?

Papa Meilland - from Ashdown Roses. Paul at Ashdown said if I like
Christian Dior, I'll love Papa. I plan to visit Ashdown again later
this spring and see what other damage Paul can do to my bank account.

Spartan - a bagged rose rescued from a local store. During packaging,
its roots were almost completely lopped off, so I've dubbed it "Nearly
Rootless Nick".

Blue Girl - another bagged rose rescue. Barely any roots, a hack job
of pruning, and one of the canes partly severed by string from
packaging. If Amnesty International ever takes on the packaged rose
industry, this could be their poster child. I planted her close to
Nearly Rootless Nick, so this miserable Blue Girl just had to be
nicknamed "Moaning Myrtle".

Oklahoma - from Weeks. Apparently I have a weakness for reds.
Especially fragrant ones.

Double Delight - 3 gal container, grown by Nelson's, bought at a
nursery in Rockledge, FL during last week's trip. I love it already.
I want more.

Heritage - my first David Austin . (The Prince is definitely next on
my shopping list. Lilian Austin too, if I can find it.)

Pebble Beach - my first try at a ground cover rose. Anyone have any
favorites to recommend?

unknown mystery rose - a transplant from my mother's house. From her
description, I suspect it might be Tropicana.

Tropicana - from Weeks. Might help ID the rose from my mother.

Peace, Crimson Glory, Chicago Peace, Camelot, Montezuma, Oklahoma,
Chrysler Imperial, Europeana, and Christian Dior - the grand bagged
rose experiment. Purely on impulse on a cold and rainy night at the
hardware store, I decided these unwanted leftover 4-for-$10 Paramount
torture victims needed a home. I went there to replace a broken
screwdriver and came home with a trunk full of refugees.

Yep, I think I've got the disease....

Old 19-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Shiva

torgo wrote:

Hi gang. I'm a newcomer to rose growing, but I think I've already
become a full fledged addict.

Hi! Welcome to the group!

This time last year, I had a single
plant. Now I'm up to 41 (in 24 varieties) and making room for six or
seven more.

Yep, I'd say you have all the signs! What was your first rose, just
curious?

This season's bounty so far -

Duet - from Ashdown Roses.

Don't know Duet, but do know Paul Zimmerman. Great guy, great nursery.
Where are you? I am in central NC.

Christian Dior - does anyone else here grow these? Or am I off my
rocker on this one?

It is a lovely rose. I have seen it in bloom. A velvety red as I recall. I
cannot recall if it is in the Mr. Lincoln/Chrysler Imperial line of red,
fragrant roses that are genetically related. I am digging out poor
cankered Mr. L. this week--the buds still thrill, with their perfect long
form and the scent is great--but the blooms are sloppy and floppy and the
plant is ten-12 feet tall here, all straight up.

Papa Meilland - from Ashdown Roses. Paul at Ashdown said if I like
Christian Dior, I'll love Papa. I plan to visit Ashdown again later
this spring and see what other damage Paul can do to my bank account.

Papa Meilland was recommended to me by a very good rosarian. I think you
will love him and I want him!

Blue Girl - another bagged rose rescue. Barely any roots, a hack job
of pruning, and one of the canes partly severed by string from
packaging.

This is not the way to start out with many of the lavender roses, which
seem to share a gene for wimpiness. Even with great beginnings as robust,
long-rooted bare roots and the best of care, they tend to be fussy. Blue
Girl, Sterling Silver, and my first rose, Lagerfeld are all that way.
HOWEVER--I ordered another such wimpy Diva this spring--called Blue Nile--
so go figure. The lavenders can be some of the most beautiful and also the
most fragrant hybrid teas. Trouble is, insects and fungus seem to like
them just as much in my garden as I do!

Oklahoma - from Weeks. Apparently I have a weakness for reds.
Especially fragrant ones.

GREAT rose. I saw it early and opted for Mr. L. instead. One thing--try to
put it in a place that gets some afternoon shade. This black-red rose's
petals will burn in the summer, esp. if you are in FL or SC or somewhere
farther south than me.

Double Delight - 3 gal container, grown by Nelson's, bought at a
nursery in Rockledge, FL during last week's trip. I love it already.
I want more.

Many love this rose! Great fragrance, too! Good choice!

Heritage - my first David Austin . (The Prince is definitely next on
my shopping list. Lilian Austin too, if I can find it.)

I have many Austins. They are addictive to those of us who like fragrance
and don't mind the floppy old rose form. I have a baby tradescant, baby
Abraham Darbys, Pat Austin, Jude the Obscure, Radio Times, Golden
Celebration, Molineaux, Perdita, all of these are wonderful. Tamora is a
sweet apricot Austin that gets 2.5 feet tall max and smells like licorice
to my nose. (Myrrh, they say it is.)

Yep, I think I've got the disease....

You do! Welcome to the club!

Old 20-03-2003, 12:44 AM
dave weil

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:11:29 -0500 (EST), in rec.gardens.roses you
wrote:

torgo wrote:

Hi gang. I'm a newcomer to rose growing, but I think I've already
become a full fledged addict.

Hi! Welcome to the group!

This time last year, I had a single
plant. Now I'm up to 41 (in 24 varieties) and making room for six or
seven more.

Yep, I'd say you have all the signs! What was your first rose, just
curious?

This season's bounty so far -

Duet - from Ashdown Roses.

Don't know Duet, but do know Paul Zimmerman. Great guy, great nursery.
Where are you? I am in central NC.

Here is *my* Duet. It has a little fragrance, but its charm is its
compactness and impact with the bright red profusion of blooms. It
stands watch at the front of my little rose garden by my porch stoop.

It is a lovely rose. I have seen it in bloom. A velvety red as I recall. I
cannot recall if it is in the Mr. Lincoln/Chrysler Imperial line of red,
fragrant roses that are genetically related. I am digging out poor
cankered Mr. L. this week--the buds still thrill, with their perfect long
form and the scent is great--but the blooms are sloppy and floppy and the
plant is ten-12 feet tall here, all straight up.

Papa Meilland - from Ashdown Roses. Paul at Ashdown said if I like
Christian Dior, I'll love Papa. I plan to visit Ashdown again later
this spring and see what other damage Paul can do to my bank account.

Papa Meilland was recommended to me by a very good rosarian. I think you
will love him and I want him!

Oh yes, Papa is a wonder. With a tall, stately, candelabra shape, it's
oneof those few "bouquet quality" well-shaped red roses with a scent.

Mine is about 7 feet tall and it only gets sun until 1 pm.

Here's the bloom (long-standing contributors to this NG can ignore
these redundancies):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...st%20Frost.jpg

This is actually a post-frost, November pic, believe it or not...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...11.14.2002.jpg

Here's another November shot (11.14 actually):

And here's a shot from earlier in the season (isn't *that* a
well-formed bloom - and the SCENT! - ps, it isn't *quite* that
brilliant a shade of scarlet, but it's close...)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/RedRose2.jpg

And finally, here's a luscious post-rain shot:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/RedRoseToday.jpg

snip

I have many Austins. They are addictive to those of us who like fragrance
and don't mind the floppy old rose form. I have a baby tradescant, baby
Abraham Darbys, Pat Austin, Jude the Obscure, Radio Times, Golden
Celebration, Molineaux, Perdita, all of these are wonderful. Tamora is a
sweet apricot Austin that gets 2.5 feet tall max and smells like licorice
to my nose. (Myrrh, they say it is.)

Don't forget the amazing Graham Thomas.

Yep, I think I've got the disease....

You do! Welcome to the club!

Now it's time to teach the secret handshake...

Old 20-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Shiva

dave weil wrote:

Here is *my* Duet. It has a little fragrance, but its charm is its
compactness and impact with the bright red profusion of blooms. It
stands watch at the front of my little rose garden by my porch stoop.

De link! De link! You forgot the link!

Old 20-03-2003, 01:32 AM
torgo

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:11:29 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

Duet - from Ashdown Roses.

Don't know Duet, but do know Paul Zimmerman. Great guy, great nursery.
Where are you? I am in central NC.

I like Paul's approach to growing - focus on improving the soil, keep
the chemicals to a minimum, etc. We definitely hit it off right away.

I'm in Atlanta. Zone 7. Pro = mild winter, amazing spring weather
for gardening. Con = Texas-like heat in August, clay soil.

Christian Dior - does anyone else here grow these? Or am I off my
rocker on this one?

It is a lovely rose. I have seen it in bloom. A velvety red as I recall. I
cannot recall if it is in the Mr. Lincoln/Chrysler Imperial line of red,
fragrant roses that are genetically related. I am digging out poor
cankered Mr. L. this week--the buds still thrill, with their perfect long
form and the scent is great--but the blooms are sloppy and floppy and the
plant is ten-12 feet tall here, all straight up.

I have a Mr. Lincoln that isn't doing so well at the moment either.
I'm going to move it to a spot with 100% sun (it gets afternoon shade
now) and see how it responds.

My first rose, planted two years ago, was a packaged Christian Dior
(or so the label says - you can never be sure) that I planted as a
test just to see if roses would like my yard better than azaleas. I
absolutely love it - disease resistant plant, big red blooms on long
stems - incredible cut flower.

I've bought many more of them, which has left me with a mystery. My
first one does indeed appear to be a Dior, as opposed to a mislabeled
Mr. Lincoln or something else, but it is quite fragrant. I didn't
think anything of it at first, because the label (I wish I could
recall the brand) said it would be fragrant. But other references and
nurseries list it as only having a mild fragrance.

I'm wondering if there are multiple sub-strains. My trunkload of
refugees from the hardware store included several Diors, and their
label also says "fragrant". If they turn out as fragrant as my first
one, I'll be recommending it to everyone I know.

Blue Girl - another bagged rose rescue. Barely any roots, a hack job
of pruning, and one of the canes partly severed by string from
packaging.

This is not the way to start out with many of the lavender roses, which
seem to share a gene for wimpiness. Even with great beginnings as robust,
long-rooted bare roots and the best of care, they tend to be fussy. Blue
Girl, Sterling Silver, and my first rose, Lagerfeld are all that way.
HOWEVER--I ordered another such wimpy Diva this spring--called Blue Nile--
so go figure. The lavenders can be some of the most beautiful and also the
most fragrant hybrid teas. Trouble is, insects and fungus seem to like
them just as much in my garden as I do!

I picked out the Blue Girl more for contrast than anything else. It's
in a row of mostly reds, between a Christian Dior and a Chrysler
Imperial. I was hoping the presence of lavender would make the reds
stand out, and vice versa.

The Evil Ones who packaged her mangled her so badly that I give her
less than a 25% chance of surviving two months. If she lives to
produce any blooms at all, I'll consider them beautiful little
miracles. (And I'll cut them as soon as they open, so that her few
roots won't have to support them.)

Oklahoma - from Weeks. Apparently I have a weakness for reds.
Especially fragrant ones.

GREAT rose. I saw it early and opted for Mr. L. instead. One thing--try to
put it in a place that gets some afternoon shade. This black-red rose's
petals will burn in the summer, esp. if you are in FL or SC or somewhere
farther south than me.

Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip. I'll probably
switch it with the Mr. Lincoln that isn't doing well in afternoon
shade.

Old 20-03-2003, 01:44 AM
dave weil

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:01:33 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

Here is *my* Duet. It has a little fragrance, but its charm is its
compactness and impact with the bright red profusion of blooms. It
stands watch at the front of my little rose garden by my porch stoop.

De link! De link! You forgot the link!

Ooops - it's the damn brandy, I tell you!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Duet.jpg

And here's an extra one - the Duet is the big pinkish/red one:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Duet1.jpg

Old 20-03-2003, 02:32 AM
torgo

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:31:47 -0600, dave weil
wrote:

Oh yes, Papa is a wonder. With a tall, stately, candelabra shape, it's
oneof those few "bouquet quality" well-shaped red roses with a scent.

Mine is about 7 feet tall and it only gets sun until 1 pm.

Yep, Papa Meilland is another part of that family with Mr. Lincoln,
Oklahoma, and Chrysler Imperial (a proud parent). The whole bunch of
'em are enough to make me want to take up hybridizing.

I have many Austins. They are addictive to those of us who like fragrance
and don't mind the floppy old rose form. I have a baby tradescant, baby
Abraham Darbys, Pat Austin, Jude the Obscure, Radio Times, Golden
Celebration, Molineaux, Perdita, all of these are wonderful. Tamora is a
sweet apricot Austin that gets 2.5 feet tall max and smells like licorice
to my nose. (Myrrh, they say it is.)

Don't forget the amazing Graham Thomas.

I'm just not that big on yellow quite yet. For now, the daffodils and
day lilies give me more than my fill of yellow blooms. My mother
just got several David Austins, though, including a Graham Thomas, so
maybe hers will win me over. If it does, I know Paul at Ashdown Roses
has a particularly good strain of Graham Thomas whenever I'm ready to
make the drive to S.C.

Until then, The Prince is next on my David Austin wish list, followed
by Lillian Austin and whatever nice pure white Austin I can find.
(Anyone have any recommendations?)

Now it's time to teach the secret handshake...

Wouldn't a secret twelve-step program be more appropriate?

Old 20-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Cass

dave weil wrote:
"Shiva" wrote:

dave weil wrote:

Here is *my* Duet. It has a little fragrance, but its charm is its
compactness and impact with the bright red profusion of blooms. It
stands watch at the front of my little rose garden by my porch stoop.

De link! De link! You forgot the link!

Ooops - it's the damn brandy, I tell you!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Duet.jpg

And here's an extra one - the Duet is the big pinkish/red one:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Duet1.jpg

If it isn't already obvious, let me just say I don't know jack about
Duet....except that I always thought it was a shell pink jobber. This
is what it looks like at HelpMeFind:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/spd/std/6756.jpg

Methinks you Duet is not.
Old 20-03-2003, 04:44 AM
JimS.

Torgo,
Boy, I can't believe how many of my little collection you have.....

"torgo" wrote in message
Hi gang. I'm a newcomer to rose growing, but I think I've already
become a full fledged addict. This time last year, I had a single
plant. Now I'm up to 41 (in 24 varieties) and making room for six or
seven more.

Kentucky Derby - grown by Nelson's Florida Roses, from a nursery off
of I-95.

Great red one. I bought a crappy Kentucky Derby my first year (Home Depot),
and even though she's down to only two canes from the bud union, they're
really big honkin' ones. Grows like a weed. Mine is pretty prone to
blackspot here in Seattle though.

Blue Girl - another bagged rose rescue. Barely any roots, a hack job
of pruning, and one of the canes partly severed by string from
packaging. If Amnesty International ever takes on the packaged rose
industry, this could be their poster child. I planted her close to
Nearly Rootless Nick, so this miserable Blue Girl just had to be
nicknamed "Moaning Myrtle".

My Blue Girl ought to be named "Typhoid Mary". Probably the one rose I have
most prone to catch EVERYTHING, the little tramplette. Gotta really be
diligent with the spraying, but nice blooms when they're healthy.

Oklahoma - from Weeks. Apparently I have a weakness for reds.

Especially fragrant ones.

I've got a thing for reds too.....Oklahoma is another one I bought a cruddy
one of from Home Depot, my 1st year. Healthier than Kentucky Derby for
me...but might be a candidate for orphaning to the city parking strip
nearby....my teeny yard's real estate is too valuable unless this one coughs
it up big time pretty soon.... Great red blooms though.

Tropicana - from Weeks. Might help ID the rose from my mother.

One of my favorites-- great, huge blooms. Almost no spotting either, love
the color.

Peace, Crimson Glory, Chicago Peace, Camelot, Montezuma, Oklahoma,
Chrysler Imperial, Europeana, and Christian Dior - the grand bagged
rose experiment.

Chrysler Imperial is new for me this year. I felt like it was one of those
Classics I just had to have. Looks good so far, but just getting
established. Europeana is probably my brightest red, love it. Seems to get
powdery mildew more than some of the others, and I wish it was more
prolific, but that might just be because of where I have it. You'll like
this one....

Yep, I think I've got the disease....

Yeah, looks that way....I think we all do....

Hey, if you really like reds, check out Taboo. Mine gets powdery mildew
sometimes, but if you keep on it, it's not too bad. Very strong grower,
mine's in a pot too. It's almost black, it's so dark, and very velvety.
Very cool.

Welcome to the obsession!

JimS.
Seattle

Old 20-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Allegra

"torgo" wrote

Until then, The Prince is next on my David Austin wish list, followed
by Lillian Austin and whatever nice pure white Austin I can find.
(Anyone have any recommendations?)

Now it's time to teach the secret handshake...

Wouldn't a secret twelve-step program be more appropriate?

Hello Torgo and welcome to the group,

We share something in common, I don't care much for yellow
roses, as a matter of fact last summer I donated to the entry
to our little community all the Sun Goddesses that were found
in this house when we moved, and I have a couple of Henry
Fondas that are waiting for a fellow rosarian to come and get
them out of here. I cannot explain why, but the ones with
the buff shade are quite beautiful (E.Veyrat Hermanos is one
of my all time favorites) to me but yellow-yellow is another story.

Fair Bianca is an Austin I think you would like. White white
here. Good form, nice fragrance, not very strong neck but
in my opinion at least in this case, it adds to its charms.
The Prince I adore and the fragrance is the best of any rose
Austin has put out. Bought it band size at Heirloom last Spring
and it gave us a couple of blooms that filled the room for
three days. Gorgeous rose.

If you like old garden roses I have never found yet a better
white than Kaiserina Augusta Viktoria. That continues to be
my favorite white among all roses. The fragrance is incredible
and the form is beautiful. I don't do many HTs so I am not
the one to recommend there, but just found an old one from
Bees, Cyril Fletcher and it is incredible, but it has ivory towards
the eye, and the petals are like silk.

I share also your opinion of Paul. I hope his labor problems
are a thing of the past. Always loved his plants, it is incredibly
expensive for us to buy from him because of the shipping but
we still buy at least 2 roses every year to help out. If we don't
support people like him and Vintage, Amity and all of the
small growers pretty soon we are going to be back to where
I was when growing old roses in the 70s and 80s : nowhere
and with very little selection. Eugene de Beauharnais came
from him and the bad boy is a beauty! Bloomed in the garage
in January and February and it had over 15 blooms. Good
upbringing. Cannot argue with that.

What else is there in your wish list? My husband says that
my wish list is "a work of art, always evolving" and bless him,
he says it without sarcasm!

Allegra

PS: as I said before the only 12 steps I would take would
be the ones from the car to the nearest rose in the nursery.
Willing to bet I am not alone ;)

Old 20-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Cass

Allegra wrote:

We share something in common, I don't care much for yellow
roses, as a matter of fact last summer I donated to the entry
to our little community all the Sun Goddesses that were found
in this house when we moved, and I have a couple of Henry
Fondas that are waiting for a fellow rosarian to come and get
them out of here. I cannot explain why, but the ones with
the buff shade are quite beautiful (E.Veyrat Hermanos is one
of my all time favorites) to me but yellow-yellow is another story.

Guess who is the first to bloom this year? Safrano! (Well, Fortune's
Double Yellow is trying to open up too.) Talk about a rose slow to
build, Safrano is right at the top of the list. I bought this tiny
twiglet from Ralph Moore's place on January 11, 2000. Just now it is
about 30" tall and pulls buds out of the air like a magician. I love
buff roses and the old yolky yellow, the shades of Lady Hillingdon,
Danae, English Garden, Crepuscule, Buff Beauty (waiting for Regina to
claim her). I have pots of Golden Celebration, Celine Forestier,
Sunshine Sally (Poor little Sunshine Sally suffers from the yellow
curse [blackspot]), and Flutterbye waiting to join their yolky
sisters...just as soon as I excavate some new rose bunkers.
Old 20-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Allegra

"Cass" wrote
Guess who is the first to bloom this year? Safrano! (Well, Fortune's
Double Yellow is trying to open up too.) Talk about a rose slow to
build, Safrano is right at the top of the list. I bought this tiny
twiglet from Ralph Moore's place on January 11, 2000. Just now it is
about 30" tall and pulls buds out of the air like a magician. I love
buff roses and the old yolky yellow, the shades of Lady Hillingdon,
Danae, English Garden, Crepuscule, Buff Beauty (waiting for Regina to
claim her). I have pots of Golden Celebration, Celine Forestier,
Sunshine Sally (Poor little Sunshine Sally suffers from the yellow
curse [blackspot]), and Flutterbye waiting to join their yolky
sisters...just as soon as I excavate some new rose bunkers.

Hi darling,

Listen I have Crepuscle and she is not a yellow-yellow.
At least not here. The old yolky yellow is the ugliest shade
in this weather and at this latitude. In our house in Buenos
Aires my mother had the most gorgeous yellow roses
festooning the entire upper balcony in the first floor patio.
(I know you are familiar with Spanish style construction
where the houses are boxes with central patios and the
rest of the house is built around it) - They were fragrant
and big and generous. Those I would like. But here...

Zilch in Oregon. Not a single yellow I have yet found
even at John and Luise's gorgeous gardens that I have
said to myself " Self, that one is coming home with us".
Why E.Veyrat Hermanos is called Pillar of Gold
escapes me completely. There is something about
yellow roses and the implication in both the Spanish
and Italian folklore that they represent jealousy that
perhaps permeated my formative years or something.
I love peaches, apricots, rust color ones of great intensity,
love reds that bleed into maroon or black, like Black Jade
-don't like minis but that one is a joy - I love Ralph Moore
and I respect his magnum opus but there is something
about miniatures that makes me think they need fertilizer.
Never mind, let's don't go there. I have always thought
of them as the barbies of roses. Please the rest of you,
no offense intended so I hope none taken.

I just think a rose is voluptuous and must flower with
abandonment, should bob sometimes on its neck out of
sheer sensuality and I like the almost vulgar abundance
of a bloom bursting forth with petals and fragrance.
Minis always look stilted to me. As if something happened
and they just never got "there".

So, back to yellow. I have several times attempted to get
"there" myself and just couldn't bring myself to. Years ago
someone gave me a great Persian Yellow. Healthy plant,
and what have you. I felt guilty every time I walked by her.
I sensed that rose was putting out like crazy and I was not
only indifferent but almost bothered by this. I wanted to like
her, and I couldn't. We parted ways honorably. I gave her
away and never subjected myself to another.

Yet.

Allegra

Old 20-03-2003, 08:32 AM
torgo

Fair Bianca is an Austin I think you would like. White white
here. Good form, nice fragrance, not very strong neck but
in my opinion at least in this case, it adds to its charms.
The Prince I adore and the fragrance is the best of any rose
Austin has put out. Bought it band size at Heirloom last Spring
and it gave us a couple of blooms that filled the room for
three days. Gorgeous rose.

Nice to hear good reports on The Prince. I'll have to keep Fair
Bianca in mind. I'm also thinking about Winchester Cathedral for a
nice white Austin.

the one to recommend there, but just found an old one from
Bees, Cyril Fletcher and it is incredible, but it has ivory towards
the eye, and the petals are like silk.

Funny you should mention it - Cyril Fletcher is one I plan to order
very soon. For a white rose, I'm wanting first and foremost a strong
grower and bloomer, preferably with a fair amount of fragrance.
Cyril jumped out right away as one that would fit the bill very well.
I also like the fact that hardly anyone else has it, since most of my
other roses are extremely common varieties.

I share also your opinion of Paul. I hope his labor problems
are a thing of the past. Always loved his plants, it is incredibly
expensive for us to buy from him because of the shipping but
we still buy at least 2 roses every year to help out. If we don't
support people like him and Vintage, Amity and all of the
small growers pretty soon we are going to be back to where
I was when growing old roses in the 70s and 80s : nowhere
and with very little selection. Eugene de Beauharnais came

Being self-employed myself, I'm definitely all for supporting the
smaller, independent growers. I'll check out Vintage and Amity.

Paul's nursery is about a three hour drive away, and Roses Unlimited
is on the way there, so rather than having things shipped, I just
drive there, see both in one trip, and subject myself to fits of
impulse shopping.

Pat's place (www.rosesunlimitedownroot.com) can be overwhelming -
there are I think nine long, long greenhouses packed with thousands of
roses. So many names, you can't keep up with it all.

Paul's nursery is much more dangerous. It seems so harmless, with
nothing at all that you want to buy. Except for this one gorgeous
rose here. And that other one over there. And one of these, er,
better make that two, since they're so small, and one of each of
these, since I'm here, and...

What else is there in your wish list? My husband says that
my wish list is "a work of art, always evolving" and bless him,
he says it without sarcasm!

Allegra

My wish list is constantly changing too. But if you can't change your
mind, how do you really know that you have one?

The Prince, Cyril Fletcher, and one or two more David Austins will
complete my list of immediate "needs". Milestone is still on my
wish list (out of the thousands of roses I saw at Roses Unlimited, it
stands out strongest in my mind). Condessa de Sastago and Fire 'n
Ice also have space waiting for them, as soon as I can figure out
where that space might be....

Otherwise, I already have a Granada and two beautiful Brigadoons, a
First Prize, Mr. Lincoln, Chrysler Imperial, my very first Christian
Dior, and four baby Diors (red, pink, and one that seems to be both
red and pink on the same plant) plus the horde of 30 plants and
counting that I've amassed so far this year. I ought to wait a few
months before making my next wish list just to give my bank account a
chance to recover!

Unfortunately, if the current deluge here doesn't let up soon (day
four of heavy rain, with a forecast for two more days of downpour and
flood watches already in effect) they'll all rot in standing water
and I'll have to start all over.

Old 20-03-2003, 08:32 AM
dave weil

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:37:22 -0800, Cass
wrote:

dave weil wrote:
"Shiva" wrote:

dave weil wrote:

Here is *my* Duet. It has a little fragrance, but its charm is its
compactness and impact with the bright red profusion of blooms. It
stands watch at the front of my little rose garden by my porch stoop.

De link! De link! You forgot the link!

Ooops - it's the damn brandy, I tell you!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Duet.jpg

And here's an extra one - the Duet is the big pinkish/red one:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Duet1.jpg

If it isn't already obvious, let me just say I don't know jack about
Duet....except that I always thought it was a shell pink jobber. This
is what it looks like at HelpMeFind:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/spd/std/6756.jpg

Methinks you Duet is not.

Oh it is (I think g). The color's just a slight bit off in the
picture, as that particular color always seems just a slight bit
purplish in sunlight with my digital for some reason. If you look at
the first picture at HelpMeFind, you'll see the same trait.

Also, don't be fooled by the single blooms. It blooms in clusters, but
I couldn't find any pictures of it that way (and these were the first
blooms of a one year old plant as well). If I find any shots of it
later in the season I'll post them...
Old 20-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Allegra

"torgo" wrote

Unfortunately, if the current deluge here doesn't let up soon (day
four of heavy rain, with a forecast for two more days of downpour and
flood watches already in effect) they'll all rot in standing water
and I'll have to start all over.

Oh, no you don't. Faced with certain death all and any
measures are not only possible but acceptable. Cheap
garbage cans filled with potting soil can hold those babies
until the second coming is done.

I know that others may not approve but between the choice
of having my babies drown and taking them to higher ground
guess what? I will dig every one of them out, prune them back
to kingdom come to make them think that winter is here,
and put them inside the garage or on higher ground inside some
buckets or even cardboard boxes for lack of anything else
with enough soil to cover their roots. And if the weather says
the monsoon will stay until next week, then I bet you could
put them well wrapped in wet newspapers inside making sure
they are still moist until it passes. What do you really have to
lose except some beautiful roses otherwise?

Here is wishing for a change in the weather,

Allegra

how to make a good cement batch for an upcoming pond project? urmomass Ponds 2 12-05-2004 02:06 AM
and still yet another batch of new roses... torgo Roses 0 30-05-2003 02:32 AM
a small batch of rose pictures torgo Roses 1 14-05-2003 03:56 PM
Another Batch of Roses Cass Roses 24 20-03-2003 04:32 AM
Frogs... the new batch Darren Jackson Ponds 6 26-02-2003 04:15 PM