Old 20-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Cass

Default Rose rescue

Home Depot. Weeks roses in 2 gallon pots. Lots of feeder roots. I know
becauses I already repotted mine.

Accept no substitutes. The Despot is also selling generic "Red Rose"
"Yellow Rose" things that are truly scary.
Old 20-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Tim Tompkins

I don't mean to sound like I support 'shameless commerce', however most of
the public knows little to nothing about roses or any other landscape plant.

Home Depot, your local garden center and other rose sellers are simply
offering what they think will sell. They often are as ignorant as the
public.

It is the responsibility of those who have rose knowledge to help educate
and inform the less fortunate in good practices, varieties that do well in
your area and any other
help that those in need may need to enjoy these wonderful
plants.

Please don't mistake ignorance for deceit. They are just trying to make a
living.

There is a whole world of myth surrounding rose culture, we can help our
friends and neighbors grow healthy and rewarding roses by simply offering
sound advice and help.
It's not magic, just a bit of knowledge and experience.

Tim

Old 20-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Shiva

Tim Tompkins wrote:

Home Depot, your local garden center and other rose sellers are simply
offering what they think will sell. They often are as ignorant as the
public.

Yep. And the "box stores" are where most people actually see roses in
bloom, since many who would not visit public rose gardens or quality
garden centers do wind up in Kmart's garden center looking for a hose head
to wash their car etc. I resisted the sad Kmart roses last week, but saw
several people with a look of keen interest about them circling the roses,
I could almost see them thinking "I wonder if I could?" So even these
stores serve as promoters of the rose, in a way.

There is a whole world of myth surrounding rose culture, we can help our
friends and neighbors grow healthy and rewarding roses by simply offering
sound advice and help.
It's not magic, just a bit of knowledge and experience.

Well said. Stressing the toughness of roses and the simplicity of their
needs encourages novice growers. And, it is true--they are tough and their
needs are simple. Lots of sun, lots of water that drains, good fertilizer.
Regular treatment for insects and disease.

Still, many people appear to have the attitude that if it is too easy, it
cannot be worth much. Hence we have the very complicated formulae for
everything from planting to feeding to what one may or may not apply for
disease and insects. I think there is an element among experiences rose
growers that likes to make growing roses much more complicated and
difficult than it is. Another status elevation device? Who knows. But I
think it runs counter to encouraging new growers.

Tim

Old 20-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Radika

Cass wrote in message . ..

Home Depot. Weeks roses in 2 gallon pots. Lots of feeder roots. I know
becauses I already repotted mine.

Names please?

Accept no substitutes. The Despot is also selling generic "Red Rose"
"Yellow Rose" things that are truly scary.

Bet you would not find it scary if they said "Mauve Rose" ;-).

I am about to plant the Lavender Lassie you delivered to me in the
ground. It looks grand and well. I think I am going to plant the
Polish Spirit Clematis, which I got last May and grew in a pot, with
the Lassie. No contrast, just harmony this time.

--
Radika
Old 20-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Cass

Radika wrote:

Cass wrote in message

Home Depot. Weeks roses in 2 gallon pots. Lots of feeder roots. I know
becauses I already repotted mine.

Names please?

Iceberg for my brother

Granada for somebody related to him

Accept no substitutes. The Despot is also selling generic "Red Rose"
"Yellow Rose" things that are truly scary.

Bet you would not find it scary if they said "Mauve Rose" ;-).

Shhh. Tim thinks I'm serious. I believe they has something called
Lavender rose. I saw way too many variegated leaves to want to do
anything other than sterilize my shoes.

And they have Weeks' Dainty Bess. It's all I can do to not drive over
there to pick one up. Tell me it's a dog, a mildew magnet, but the
contrast of those purplish stamens with the white petals is alluring.

I am about to plant the Lavender Lassie you delivered to me in the
ground. It looks grand and well. I think I am going to plant the
Polish Spirit Clematis, which I got last May and grew in a pot, with
the Lassie. No contrast, just harmony this time.

I can't think of any color clematis that wouldn't look good with LL.
And now, back to the third day of untangling, tying and training Chevy
Chase. I feel like a pin cushion.

Old 21-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

Cass wrote:
Radika wrote:

Names please?

Iceberg for my brother

Dit I mention that I am astonished by how big this rose has become at
the Heritage? I had the pleasure (and it was a pleasure) of pruning what
seemed like an eight-foot monster which was simply the bush form of this
rose not too long ago.

Granada for somebody related to him

I thought that this relative of your brother already had Granada?

Accept no substitutes. The Despot is also selling generic "Red
Rose" "Yellow Rose" things that are truly scary.

Bet you would not find it scary if they said "Mauve Rose" ;-).

Shhh. Tim thinks I'm serious.

That's because you called the Depot a bad name ;-).

I believe they has something called Lavender rose. I saw way too many
variegated leaves to want to do anything other than sterilize my
shoes.

Oh, aye. Avoid those specimens like the plague, as we who are seasoned
shoppers at budget rose-sellers know by now.

If you really, really want to give a miniature rose a try, I would
recommend this one I got a couple of years ago at Mack's hectoring -
Lavender Sunblaze. Quite the beauty of vigour, bloom and health. The
only trouble is Sunblaze seems to be anything the licensor of the name
calls Sunblaze and it may have changed now. Nevertheless, the Lavender
Sunblaze is mighty pretty, worth taking a chance on being the right thing.

And they have Weeks' Dainty Bess. It's all I can do to not drive
over there to pick one up. Tell me it's a dog, a mildew magnet, but
the contrast of those purplish stamens with the white petals is
alluring.

Is it? I mean, a mildew magnet? I had not noticed that - it is very
pretty and alluring and what-not, that is what I have noticed.

Lavender Lassie and Polish Spirit Clematis

I can't think of any color clematis that wouldn't look good with LL.

True. It is just that I normally work towards contrasting and
complementing colours rather than the same to same.

And now, back to the third day of untangling, tying and training
Chevy Chase. I feel like a pin cushion.

Ouch. What else did they have at the Home D. that caught your fancy?
This year I have been so restrained about buying roses as to be totally
subdued almost. I think I need to break out of my cocoon and flap my
wings a bit. Might check out the local HD.

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Cass

Radika Kesavan wrote:

Cass wrote:
Radika wrote:

Names please?

Iceberg for my brother

Dit I mention that I am astonished by how big this rose has become at
the Heritage? I had the pleasure (and it was a pleasure) of pruning what
seemed like an eight-foot monster which was simply the bush form of this
rose not too long ago.

I know it's not your favorite, and after that torture by Kirra, who can
blame you. I'd take that burgundy job any day of the week. But Iceberg
is a great rose around here, easy to keep at 6 feet, flowers every 3
weeks, no disease to speak of.

I thought that this relative of your brother already had Granada?

I ordered it, not shipped or received. Still time to fudge, change and
equivocate. Now I have two to subtract. Or substitute.

If you really, really want to give a miniature rose a try, I would
recommend this one I got a couple of years ago at Mack's hectoring -
Lavender Sunblaze. Quite the beauty of vigour, bloom and health. The
only trouble is Sunblaze seems to be anything the licensor of the name
calls Sunblaze and it may have changed now. Nevertheless, the Lavender
Sunblaze is mighty pretty, worth taking a chance on being the right thing.

I never played with barbies and it's too late to start.

And they have Weeks' Dainty Bess. It's all I can do to not drive
over there to pick one up. Tell me it's a dog, a mildew magnet, but
the contrast of those purplish stamens with the white petals is
alluring.

Is it? I mean, a mildew magnet? I had not noticed that - it is very
pretty and alluring and what-not, that is what I have noticed.

Figures. I only find out about the bad ones after I've bought the.

Ouch. What else did they have at the Home D. that caught your fancy?

There were plenty, tho nothing I wanted.

Old 21-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Unique Too

Radika Kesavan writes:

This year I have been so restrained about buying roses as to be totally
subdued almost. I think I need to break out of my cocoon and flap my
wings a bit.

We can't have that. Get yourself down to any place they sells roses and buy
some! g

Old 21-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Unique Too

Cass writes:

And they have Weeks' Dainty Bess. It's all I can do to not drive over
there to pick one up. Tell me it's a dog, a mildew magnet, but the
contrast of those purplish stamens with the white petals is alluring.

Dainty Bess is the only HT I picked out for myself. It's resonably healthy in
this land of BS but the blooms aren't white here. They are the color the
non-rose growing world calls mauve.

Old 21-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Radika Kesavan

Cass wrote:
Radika Kesavan wrote:

Iceberg

... I had the pleasure (and it was a pleasure) of pruning what
seemed like an eight-foot monster which was simply the bush form of
this rose not too long ago.

I know it's not your favorite, and after that torture by Kirra, who
can blame you.

Heheh. It is only the whiteness in any rose that is not my favourite,
but this rose is not *any* rose, is it? It has slowly grown on me in my
long years in California, and I am very impressed by its constant
cheerfulness and no-nagging policy in this climate.

I'd take that burgundy job any day of the week. But Iceberg is a
great rose around here, easy to keep at 6 feet, flowers every 3
weeks, no disease to speak of.

Every 3 weeks. What a nice schedule. That is the same length of time
that the Santa Clara County Library lends their books to us - not four,
not two, not one, but this very odd 3 weeks.

Sorry, I digress. What I really wanted to say was that a grouping of
white, pink and burgundyish maroonish red works beautifully with other
flowring bushes, say Peonies or Azaleas for example. It is very pleasing
to the eye, and sort of gulp romantic in the old-fashioned sense of
the word - that has more to do with riding the Orient Express sort of
romantic rather than the romanc ekind of romantic, IYKWIM. So, when they
get the Burgundy Iceberg out here, I might consider getting a grouping
of I, BPI and BI may be. But then, something else might have to go. I am
not sure what. Oh well. You get my idea, anyway, I am sure.

I thought that this relative of your

brother already had Granada?

I ordered it, not shipped or received. Still time to fudge, change
and equivocate. Now I have two to subtract. Or substitute.

Substitute. Don't subtract. Then again, you know that already ;-).

Lavender Sunblaze

I never played with barbies and it's too late to start.

Touché!

And they have Weeks' Dainty Bess. It's all I can do to not drive
over there to pick one up. Tell me it's a dog, a mildew magnet,
but the contrast of those purplish stamens with the white petals
is alluring.

Is it? I mean, a mildew magnet? I had not noticed that - it is very
pretty and alluring and what-not, that is what I have noticed.

Figures. I only find out about the bad ones after I've bought the.

... What else did they have at the Home D. that caught your
fancy?

There were plenty, tho nothing I wanted.

So ... go back and get Dainty Bess! You needn't have to have *me* tell
*you* that, right?

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 09:32 PM
saki

Radika Kesavan wrote in
:

If you really, really want to give a miniature rose a try, I would
recommend this one I got a couple of years ago at Mack's hectoring -
Lavender Sunblaze. Quite the beauty of vigour, bloom and health.

Don't forget another superb lavender miniature, Scentsational. The
fragrance is quite profound, very honey-based, and the color a terrific
mid-lavender with bright yellow stamens.

----

Old 21-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Radika Kesavan

Unique Too wrote:
Cass writes:

And they have Weeks' Dainty Bess. It's all I can do to not drive over
there to pick one up. Tell me it's a dog, a mildew magnet, but the
contrast of those purplish stamens with the white petals is alluring.

Dainty Bess is the only HT I picked out for myself. It's resonably healthy in
this land of BS but the blooms aren't white here. They are the color the
non-rose growing world calls mauve.

Wow. There is certainly a recommendation, a very strong one really, for
a Hooked-On-Mauve HOM, eh, Cass?

Julie, by "the color the non-rose growing world calls," do you mean that
the rose growing world will call it some other colour?

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Radika Kesavan

Unique Too wrote:
Radika Kesavan writes:

This year I have been so restrained about buying roses as to be totally
subdued almost. I think I need to break out of my cocoon and flap my
wings a bit.

We can't have that. Get yourself down to any place they sells roses and buy
some! g

I did get three this year, and that is very restrained, but what is
restraining me is the final dawning of wisdom that I need to take good
care of what I have before I buy more, for these are living Deities!

What roses did you get this year Julie?

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Unique Too

Radika Kesavan writes:

I did get three this year, and that is very restrained, but what is
restraining me is the final dawning of wisdom that I need to take good
care of what I have before I buy more, for these are living Deities!

Wisdom? There is very little wisdom involved in buying roses. g

What roses did you get this year Julie?

I have Maman Cochet, Prosperity, Safrano and Kronprincessin Viktoria cuttings
nicely rooting. Gruss an Aachen and Marie Van Houte cuttings are struggling,
they look so poorly I don't expect they will survive.
And an order from Ashdown coming in April of Purple Buttons, Darlow's Enigma
and Secret Garden Musk Climber.
Since rooted cuttings and orders not yet received don't count, I don't have any
new roses this year!

Old 21-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Unique Too

Julie, by "the color the non-rose growing world calls," do you mean that
the rose growing world will call it some other colour?

Yes, don't most people consider mauve to be a dusty pink color? My carpet is
called mauve, my bathroom is decorated with fabric and ribbon sold as mauve.
Rose growers call the color of Angel Face mauve, the roses with Blue in the
name are mauves, while non-rosers would call them lavender or light purple.
The "official" color of Dainty Bess is pink and I think most of the rose
growing world would call it pink. If a petal was placed on a color chart I
believe it would most closely match the color mauve.

Bluebird rescue Bill Ponds 14 27-04-2004 04:04 PM
Impressive rescue rtk Ponds 3 05-11-2003 06:02 AM
Rescue Large Azalea? William Russer Gardening 5 04-11-2003 02:02 AM
Local wildlife rehabitlitation/rescue??? will Texas 1 11-04-2003 06:56 PM
Good Lavender Miniature Roses Rose rescue Radika Kesavan Roses 7 24-03-2003 10:08 PM