Old 20-03-2003, 07:32 PM
A guy named Emil

Default Waiting for that first bloom!

Hi guys,

Is it just me or is waiting for the first bloom from newly planted bareroots an
exciting experience? I have been waiting about 3 days for my Moonshadow to open
up. I hope it will open up soon!

Here is a pic taken this morning :
http://dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?photo=5641

Emil :-)
Old 20-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Allegra

"A guy named Emil" wrote in message
Hi guys,

Is it just me or is waiting for the first bloom from newly planted

bareroots an
exciting experience? I have been waiting about 3 days for my Moonshadow to

open
up. I hope it will open up soon!

Here is a pic taken this morning :
http://dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?photo=5641

Emil :-)

Emil, Emil!

Remember the saying about the "watched pot"?
You are absolutely correct, no matter what an old
hand you may be at this, there is a birthday morning
kind of feeling when you look at that first promise
of a bloom. Your plant looks great and I am sure
next year is going to be double the size and double
the blooms if it keeps going like this.

BTW, in MHO, "watched pot" makes sweeter tea ;)

Allegra

Old 20-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Unique Too

A guy named Emil writes:

Is it just me or is waiting for the first bloom from newly planted bareroots
an
exciting experience?

It isn't just you.

I found a bud just this week on my mystery rose. I've looked at it at least
twice a day since. Today is the first time I've been able to see any color.
But I know a hint of color in a bud isn't always true to the flower. So I'll
keep up my watching and waiting.
If you think you've been waiting a long time, I started this from a mismarked
cutting two years ago!
It must have taken my threat seriously. No blooms this year and it was out of
here.
Old 20-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Emil

Emil, Emil!

Remember the saying about the "watched pot"?
You are absolutely correct, no matter what an old
hand you may be at this, there is a birthday morning
kind of feeling when you look at that first promise
of a bloom. Your plant looks great and I am sure
next year is going to be double the size and double
the blooms if it keeps going like this.

BTW, in MHO, "watched pot" makes sweeter tea ;)

Hi!
Yes, I know that saying. I am just afraid if I look at the roses to much
I will jinx them! Thanks for saying they look great. I don't know if you
have seen my previous posts, but there are 4 new bareroots planted. All
of them have the same growth to them. So hopefully next year they will
be awesome!

Thanks,
Emil

Allegra

http://web2news.com/?rec.gardens.roses
Old 20-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Emil

It isn't just you.

I found a bud just this week on my mystery rose. I've
looked at it at least
twice a day since. Today is the first time I've been able
to see any color.
But I know a hint of color in a bud isn't always true to
the flower. So I'll
keep up my watching and waiting.
If you think you've been waiting a long time, I started
this from a mismarked
cutting two years ago!
It must have taken my threat seriously. No blooms this

Glad to know it just isn't me! Wow, 2 years is a long time! Good luck
with your roses.

Emil
year and it was out of
here.

http://web2news.com/?rec.gardens.roses
Old 24-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Cass

Huskies4all wrote:

This year I'm waiting with bated breath...I FINALLY got my Great
Grandmother's 100+ year old rose bush to grow from a digging. (tried for
5 years to get a cutting to take with no luck) It has leafed out
wonderfully, and I can't wait until I get a bloom.

I have a pic of the tiny thing as of 2 days ago he
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huskies4a...src=ph&.view=t

Wow. No wonder you wanted to save that rose! What a beauty. So as I
recall, you tried for a number of years to take cuttings and you
finally dug up a sucker...which looks like it wants to grow. What
beautiful flowers! Scent? Does it rebloom? I ready your original post,
where you described it as a once bloomer. What state is this in? How
big is that shrub? Looks 6 - 8 feet tall. And what color is it? Looks
golden to buff washed with cerise to crimson. This rose should be
preserved. Whoever owns that rose now, I think you said he wouldn't let
you dig it up, should be persuaded to let you take more "samples" so
you can be sure that several plants survive.

You need to give this rose a study name that you and everyone else can
used as a reference. What was your great grandma's name? What's the
name of the city or county?"_________'s Blushing Gold".... "Grammy
___________'s Golden" ....... "___________'s Golden Glow" , "Grandy's
Gold..." Heritage Rose Groups like the study name to not be too long
and to include a geographic reference. So....what's the name?
Old 24-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Huskies4all

In article ,
says...
Huskies4all wrote:
I have a pic of the tiny thing as of 2 days ago he
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huskies4a...src=ph&.view=t

Wow. No wonder you wanted to save that rose! What a beauty. So as I
recall, you tried for a number of years to take cuttings and you
finally dug up a sucker...which looks like it wants to grow. What
beautiful flowers!

You recall correctly. I'm only slightly worried that the sucker will not
be true. Just about every cane on the bush seems to be a "sucker" so I
think it is on it's own root stock. It is gorgeous. When cared for, it
produces vast amounts of smallish (2-3" across) flowers that are sort of
"teacup" shaped. Pretty dense petals. Family legend is that she brought
it over on a wagon train.

Scent?

Some scent, I can't particularly remember what the scent is, but I'll let
you know when/if it blooms.

Does it rebloom? I ready your original post,
where you described it as a once bloomer.

I believe it's a once bloomer. We'll see what happens when it actually
recieves some water.

What state is this in?

I'm in Southern Idaho. The "high desert"

How big is that shrub? Looks 6 - 8 feet tall.

Yes, it's at least 8' tall. And absolutely NO water or care in a desert
for the past 20 years. I can't wait to see how it does with regular
watering and fertilizers.

And what color is it? Looks
golden to buff washed with cerise to crimson.

Yes, it is a very golden rose with tinges of pink to peach. The
pink/peach is usually toward the center, but on some individual flowers
can be on the edges of the petals.

This rose should be
preserved. Whoever owns that rose now, I think you said he wouldn't let
you dig it up, should be persuaded to let you take more "samples" so
you can be sure that several plants survive.

Well, the piece that I planted had a root section on it about 2 feet long
in an "L" shape from the main cane. Yesterday I noticed two "suckers"
coming up from that root. I'm considering letting them go ahead and
develop, then whack them off from the main plant to give me two more
specimens.

You need to give this rose a study name that you and everyone else can
used as a reference. snip Grandy'sGold..."
Heritage Rose Groups like the study name to not be too long
and to include a geographic reference. So....what's the name?

Gosh, I'll have to think about it. How about Lemmon's Immortal Idaho?
The "lemmon" will do for the family name and the color. LOL. The rose
has got to be nearly indestructible to survive the abuse it's had.

CJ

Old 24-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Allegra

"Huskies4all" wrote

[...]

Hello again,

I am so happy for you! I know the thrill of bringing
something from the past every time an old rose comes
to me and I can root it and pass the gift along to others.

I wouldn't worry at all about the sucker. It is very
unlikely that anything but an own root rose would
have survived without help and attention all these
years, and beside, the form indicates to be a quarter
with multiple rows of petals still holding form after
all these years . It is gorgeous, and as Cass so aptly
put it, it must be saved.

Can you get more cuttings from it? I will be more
than willing to send Federal Express your way to
bring some cuttings to Oregon to help with the
study of this rose. Or you can get close ups of
the cane, the prickles, the leaves and the bloom,
count the petals and see if the color can be
adequately photographed so I can start doing
some research. I will be happy to send it to
England to some experts with whom I communicate
to ask for their opinion and perhaps a guess as
to what it may be.

I just hope that somehow the entire bush can be
rescued and although I suspect the main trunk may
be as big as 16 to 20-inch by now, it would be a
worthwhile effort to save such a beauty. Where
did your great-grandmother come from in the
wagon? What year? do you know? the reason
I am asking is because it would be easier to
identify if we know from where in the East coast
she came, if from there. For many years German
and Pennsylvania Dutch people who came across
the plains carried with them cuttings from the homestead
they left behind, inside vase-like containers made of
potatoes. Once they got to their new land, the potatoes
were planted into the ground, and while they disintegrated
the new rose grew from the cocoon into the many beautiful
things that continue, like yours, to live after all this time.

I hope you can find about all this. I love a good
mystery, and goodness knows one of the things we
can always count on with an old rose, is a mystery.
If you are interested in pursuing this please write
to me at and
I will see how to take it from there.

Take care and good luck, now you know you
have a treasure in your hands

Allegra

Old 24-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Unique Too

Huskies4all writes:

This year I'm waiting with bated breath...I FINALLY got my Great
Grandmother's 100+ year old rose bush to grow from a digging. (tried for
5 years to get a cutting to take with no luck) It has leafed out
wonderfully, and I can't wait until I get a bloom.

I agree with Cass and Allegra, what a beautiful rose! I'd suggest you take
Allegra on her offer to help identify this one. Since you say it is hard to
root, it's possibly very rare and a plant that vigorous and willing to live
without any care is too valuable to be lost.
Good job saving that old rose!