Old 05-02-2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Marianne

Default Pruning Question

I live in Northern California though I do not know the zone I am
currently living in and I have a question regarding pruning. I just
recently moved to the mountains I live at the 3000 foot level so I am
not really in the snow country though we do get little bit of snow.
When I lived in the San Joaquin Valley I always trimmed my rose bush in
January or around that time. My Mother-in-law, who lives next door,
has told me not to trim my rose bush until after the frost season ends
which according to her is around April. I am concerned isn't that
too late? My beloved rose bush is already sprouting; in fact I am
shocked at how much new growth she has. What do you recommend? Should
I wait until April to prune her back? I would appreciate any and all
advice on this subject.

Thanks,
Marianne

Old 05-02-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Marianne" wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in Northern California though I do not know the zone I am
currently living in and I have a question regarding pruning.

Any gardening magazine should have a zone map in it.
Or you can go to this web site:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html
Those are just guidelines. Local conditions can
effectively put your garden into a warmer or
colder "zone".

I just
recently moved to the mountains I live at the 3000 foot level so I am
not really in the snow country though we do get little bit of snow.

I'm jealous. I miss snow.

When I lived in the San Joaquin Valley I always trimmed my rose bush in
January or around that time. My Mother-in-law, who lives next door,
has told me not to trim my rose bush until after the frost season ends
which according to her is around April. I am concerned isn't that
too late? My beloved rose bush is already sprouting; in fact I am
shocked at how much new growth she has. What do you recommend? Should
I wait until April to prune her back? I would appreciate any and all
advice on this subject.

Thanks,
Marianne

I'm much south of you (Zone 8) but I agree with
your mother-in-law. One main reason for
pruning before a rose starts growing again is
that it's easier to see what you're doing when the
canes are bare (or mostly so). I seldom get a true
dormant period here so I'm used to pruning roses
when they're green and actively growing.
No problems.

I believe roses can potentially be harmed if
you prune too early and then get a late frost.
I did that once and lost quite a few young roses
during that rare winter when we actually had
"winter".

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 12-02-2006, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

I pretty much prune as needed not by the calendar. Here on the Gulf
Coast, zone 10, roses grow the year around so I prune to renew the bush
and keep it in shape, also, pruning gives bigger but fewer blooms.
Don't rush it, easier to catch up and late pruning is better than
early. Long stem roses or lots of little guys, it is your choice.
Joe T
Third Coast ;-)
Baytown, TX

PS: Deadheading only will produce many small blooms and is a type of
pruning whereas, cutting off deadheads one, two or more leaf stalks
below the bloom is also pruning but for larger blooms. Sometimes taking
a whole cane is part of this deadheading. To balance a plant, to make
it renew, etc. Every plant is an individual and must be pruned
according to it's and your best advantage. Old wood bloomers and new
wood bloomers fit into this pruning scheme. It is an elaborate and
interesting art/science. Have fun.

PSPS: Cutting folwers for the table is a real challenge. Long enough
for the vase will soon over prune a plant. My-O-my, what is a person to
do! :-))

Old 03-03-2006, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Joe, I live in zone 5 and right now the wind chill is in the single
digits. Marianne, I've been told our last frost may be the end of
April or the beginning of May. It keeps getting extended longer and
longer! We are located between the Taconic and Berkshire mountains,but
it still is high in elevation. I came from a suburb of NY city so
adapting to the mountains has taken time!I'm planting seeds
indoors,can't wait til SPRING! Linda,NY zone 5