Old 23-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Allegra

Default Unruly Red Ribbons

"Mike" said:

Hey Allegra,

Can't hide a reference from you, can I?

Not if we like the same movies ;) Beside that is one
of my BH favorite phrases so there was no way I wouldn't
have not known it.

How's your spring coming?

My what? in Oregon? The only that has been blooming
without stop is one of the clematis and that babe is loaded.
I wish either Altisimo would have come along or the
clematis would have waited for Altissimo. They were
supposed to bloom nearly at the same time. Oh, yeah.
Just believe in labels, and we don't need no stinking
labels to fool us, right?

I pegged the two Red Ribbons as you suggested. They look a little funny
right now - just one big cane on each bent in a hoop. I hope Cass is
correct that the rest of the canes will soon follow suit.

Now be a good man and leave them alone. No watching, no
spying, no harassing them. And no making fun of them either.

I received email today from Wayside Gardens. They want to sell me roses at

75% off. $3.00 Austins. I don't have Tamora. That's your cue to badmouth
Wayside to prevent me from making a mistake. You can also remind me of the
heartbreak of RMV and the reason why I try to stick with own roots. I don't
know though. $3.00. Tamora. Help.

What is that about a fool and his money? I am not calling you a
fool but I will if you throw your money away. Give it to any
charity, better spent. You want Tamora? From Wayside? just forget
about getting anything in return. Just send them the money. For all
matters and purposes it will be the same. Tamora indeed. Since
when have they learned to type labels with corresponding names to
the roses? That is a new one! A patented rose for $3.00 that
it will survive or that would even be closer to Tamora in shape,
color and health. Sure.

Now lets do some math here. A rose from Wayside $ 3.00
shipping and handling, lets go cheap, another $ 3.00 -
A good hole with plenty of amendments about 1 hour to
dig and 1/2 hour to plant, even at minimum wage it will
cost about $ 12.00 - Months and months of fertilizing,
spraying, watering and so forth $ 15.00 for one season.
Angst, frustration, waiting for Tamora and when finally
the only bloom that makes it looks like a mini and
it happens to be red with orange stripes. Shovel pruning,
getting rid of it and replacing all the soil in the hole in order
to be able to plant something there, another $ 15.00-
( I said we will do this one cheap) So now you have spent
$ 48.00, a season and much time to cultivate an unknown,
while for $ 14.95 you can march into the real growers and
get the real Tamora, or at least an honest replacement if
they send you something other than.

Of course experience, at least mine applies only to me.
But do you ever wonder why someone would sell something
of value for less than it is worth? As I said, support your
local rose grower. You can get Tamora own root from
Heirloom for maybe $20.00 including shipping and handling
and it will be guaranteed to be virus free and to grow as
a real Tamora. No joke.

Beside in the great state of Texas I am sure people like
Chamblee and Antique Rose Emporium will probably
get for you if they don't have in stock. But if your heart
is set on Wayside, go for it. Then you will be giving
me tacit permission to call you what they call those
who are soon parted with their money.

Here is a link to look at the wayward clematis. I
cannot get mad at something so gorgeous! I will let
you know when Spring comes....if ever. The little
one at the feeder is one puffy little Anna. And although
there is a rumor that we have no Ruby Throat in Oregon
I am here to deny that. We counted seven last week -I
know at least 3 weren't the same hummingbird coming
back for more because they descended all at once to
each of our 3 feeders - and maybe that is the only
sign that indeed Madame Primavera its on her way.

Allegra

http://www.bluesky.com/allegra/hummingbird2.jpg

http://www.bluesky.com/allegra/clematis2.jpg

Old 23-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, "Allegra" wrote:

How's your spring coming?

My what? in Oregon? The only that has been blooming
without stop is one of the clematis and that babe is loaded.

Definitely in bloom, isn't it? I really stink at ID of plants that aren't
clearly labeled, but is that clematis montana? Well, it doesn't really
matter, does it - it's a beauty! And if it's blooming like that, I don't
care if it's sleeting and cold - you got you some spring going on up there.

I pegged the two Red Ribbons as you suggested. They look a little funny
right now - just one big cane on each bent in a hoop. I hope Cass is
correct that the rest of the canes will soon follow suit.

Now be a good man and leave them alone. No watching, no
spying, no harassing them. And no making fun of them either.

I can't promise not to spy on them. But I won't pester, plague, torment or
annoy.

I received email today from Wayside Gardens. They want to sell me roses at
75% off. $3.00 Austins. I don't have Tamora. That's your cue to badmouth
Wayside to prevent me from making a mistake. You can also remind me of the
heartbreak of RMV and the reason why I try to stick with own roots. I don't
know though. $3.00. Tamora. Help.

What is that about a fool and his money?

ooh! ooh! me! me! I know! pick me!

Now lets do some math here. A rose from Wayside $ 3.00
shipping and handling, lets go cheap, another $ 3.00 -
A good hole with plenty of amendments about 1 hour to
dig and 1/2 hour to plant, even at minimum wage it will
cost about $ 12.00 - Months and months of fertilizing,
spraying, watering and so forth $ 15.00 for one season.
Angst, frustration, waiting for Tamora and when finally
the only bloom that makes it looks like a mini and
it happens to be red with orange stripes.

AAAAGH!!! You're the devil!

O.K., just the possibility of that color combination killed the last bit of
whatever temptation I was feeling. Good job!

Of course experience, at least mine applies only to me.

Trust me. We could trade Wayside comedies for days. I suspect the
follow-ups would flood this newsgroup and render it useless. Best to not
even go there.

Alright Sneezy, you win. But don't go getting a big head about it now. It
was pretty much in the bag from the beginning. g

Mike
z8TX

Old 24-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Allegra

"Mike" advised

Alright Sneezy, you win. But don't go getting a big head about it now. It
was pretty much in the bag from the beginning. g

Don't you know it? Playing with loaded dice and then it
is my fault! Do you get Heirloom catalogue? That is some
of the best rose porn in existence. I could fall for a HT if
I didn't know better...

Keep your fingers crossed for a bit of sunshine. I have to
transplant some 15 to 20 roses I have kept in 2-gallon
pots for the winter by the southern wall -they were all
bands from either Heirloom or Vintage - and they are
rearing they are so ready. But I am not going to risk
pneumonia if the rain continues and the garage is not
a good place right now to put anything more inside of it.

Something about black holes....;)

Allegra

Old 24-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Mike

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, "Allegra" wrote:
"Mike" advised

Alright Sneezy, you win. But don't go getting a big head about it now. It
was pretty much in the bag from the beginning. g

Don't you know it? Playing with loaded dice and then it
is my fault! Do you get Heirloom catalogue? That is some
of the best rose porn in existence. I could fall for a HT if
I didn't know better...

Keep your fingers crossed for a bit of sunshine. I have to
transplant some 15 to 20 roses I have kept in 2-gallon
pots for the winter by the southern wall -they were all
bands from either Heirloom or Vintage - and they are
rearing they are so ready. But I am not going to risk
pneumonia if the rain continues and the garage is not
a good place right now to put anything more inside of it.

Something about black holes....;)

Allegra

Heirloom will be here soon. I've ordered Darlow's Enigma. Now I'm done for
the year (HA!) I've heard about their catalogue. Gotta have it.

The only HT I have is Oklahoma. I think. It was here when I moved in.
Realtor flowers. Nothing planted here except that rose and two hideous
orangish-red minis in the front yard planted right up against a wall with
grass underneath. Anyway, it's an obvious HT with high centered blood red
blooms, one to a stem and stingy with the foliage. Tiny hair-like prickles
cover the canes. Nicely fragrant, though. I whacked the heck out of it this
year when I pruned in an attempt to get it to fill out a little. It seems
to have appreciated the severe pruning. Maybe it won't be 6' tall, 2' wide
with 4 blooms and a dozen sets of leaflets this year. That would be neato.

Well, Farmer's says you'll be rainy this week. Farmer's says a lot of
things, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I feel kind of guilty
enjoying all this yard work while you're under the clouds. I mowed today
and wandered the beds afterwards, pulling a few stubborn weeds (how do they
get through that mulch???) and lusting after the rosebuds. Whoever blooms
first this year gets to sit next to the new gazing globe. I promised.

Mike
z8TX

Old 24-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Allegra

Mike tells me that

Heirloom will be here soon. I've ordered Darlow's Enigma. Now I'm done for
the year (HA!) I've heard about their catalogue. Gotta have it.

You are going to love this rose! It has become a very favorite
of ours, it grows like a weed and it is the essence of white
and yellow, yellow stamens. It has the most gorgeous fragrance.
Just wait.

The only HT I have is Oklahoma. I think. It was here when I moved in.
Realtor flowers. Nothing planted here except that rose and two hideous
orangish-red minis in the front yard planted right up against a wall with
grass underneath. Anyway, it's an obvious HT with high centered blood red
blooms, one to a stem and stingy with the foliage. Tiny hair-like prickles
cover the canes. Nicely fragrant, though. I whacked the heck out of it

this
year when I pruned in an attempt to get it to fill out a little. It seems
to have appreciated the severe pruning. Maybe it won't be 6' tall, 2' wide
with 4 blooms and a dozen sets of leaflets this year. That would be neato.

If not reclaim the real estate for a real rose.

Well, Farmer's says you'll be rainy this week. Farmer's says a lot of
things, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I feel kind of

guilty
enjoying all this yard work while you're under the clouds. I mowed today
and wandered the beds afterwards, pulling a few stubborn weeds (how do

they
get through that mulch???)

Pre-emergent weed killer. Buy yourself a paper shredder and
turn every bit of paper into mulch. First clean the bed well,
apply some weed killer in a calm day so there is no wind
to affect the foliage. Aim only at the ground and do not
spray openly or broadcast the spray. Just make sure to do
it so that it covers the area where the pests are. Next put
your shredded paper all over the bed, covering every inch
of space that you can see. Wet the paper well and then
cover the whole thing with manure or barkdust, whatever
you use for regular mulch. The paper works itself like
a lasagna bed, only that it keeps the weeds under and
allows the worms to do the work.

Then if a stray one makes it up, a shot of boiling water
is all it takes to send her back. Not near the roots of
the roses, however.

Whoever blooms
first this year gets to sit next to the new gazing globe. I promised.

I am with my friend Jim in Seattle; we are going to be dead
last when it comes to first bloom. Although who knows? if
Spring keeps us in suspense any longer I am going to begin
to wonder whether or not we are going to have any blooms!

Allegra