Old 21-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Mike

Default Unruly Red Ribbons

I received two Red Ribbons from my Dad last year and they are really
annoying. They keep throwing out these singular 5 feet long limbs from a
plant that otherwise remains about 4 inches tall. I kept trying to prune
those off last year. They would just throw out another disproportionately
long limb from right below my cut. Really messed up their shape last year.
This spring, they started out right away with this annoying growth habit.
Should I move them to a place where I can try training those monster limbs
to climb, or should I just whack them in the head with the shovel? Anyone
else experience this problem with this particular rose?

Mike
z8TX

Old 21-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Cass

Mike wrote:

I received two Red Ribbons from my Dad last year and they are really
annoying. They keep throwing out these singular 5 feet long limbs from a
plant that otherwise remains about 4 inches tall. I kept trying to prune
those off last year. They would just throw out another disproportionately
long limb from right below my cut. Really messed up their shape last year.
This spring, they started out right away with this annoying growth habit.
Should I move them to a place where I can try training those monster limbs
to climb, or should I just whack them in the head with the shovel? Anyone
else experience this problem with this particular rose?

It sounds like you're fighting what the rose wants to be, at least from
the HelpMeFind description: 2' x 5' to 7' Sounds perfect to climb a
2' fence. Probably falls off a wall pretty well.
Old 21-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Allegra

"Mike" wrote in message
I received two Red Ribbons from my Dad last year and they are really
annoying. They keep throwing out these singular 5 feet long limbs from a
plant that otherwise remains about 4 inches tall. I kept trying to prune
those off last year. They would just throw out another disproportionately
long limb from right below my cut. Really messed up their shape last year.
This spring, they started out right away with this annoying growth habit.
Should I move them to a place where I can try training those monster limbs
to climb, or should I just whack them in the head with the shovel? Anyone
else experience this problem with this particular rose?

Mike
z8TX

Hello Mike,

I am with Cass here. I don't know about Red Ribbons but when a
rose goes up, if you want blooms, you just let her have her way.
If the canes are pliable and you can bend them without breaking
them, then get a couple of those landscape fabric staples - you
know the kind that looks like real staples only on steroids - and
gently bend the cane towards the soil. Put the staple in position
and make the cane go under the staple, then make sure while
securing the staple to the ground that you still have the cane
bent and not to the breaking point. Some times it helps to
tie some jute around the tip and then tie the tip to the base
of the plant to create a bow till the cane gets comfortable
in that pegging position.

You may be surprised how beautiful some roses can look
by this gentle torture. If you don't want to do that, then I
will suggest you move her to another place where indeed
she can go up as high as she pleases. Cutting her is defeating
her purpose which is to bloom all along her canes, so if you
peg her, you may end with a couple of gorgeous rose fountains.

Allegra

Old 21-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Mike

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Cass wrote:
Mike wrote:

I received two Red Ribbons from my Dad last year and they are really
annoying. They keep throwing out these singular 5 feet long limbs from a
plant that otherwise remains about 4 inches tall. I kept trying to prune
those off last year. They would just throw out another disproportionately
long limb from right below my cut. Really messed up their shape last year.
This spring, they started out right away with this annoying growth habit.
Should I move them to a place where I can try training those monster limbs
to climb, or should I just whack them in the head with the shovel? Anyone
else experience this problem with this particular rose?

It sounds like you're fighting what the rose wants to be, at least from
the HelpMeFind description: 2' x 5' to 7' Sounds perfect to climb a
2' fence. Probably falls off a wall pretty well.

Hi Cass,

Hmm... I was told "groundcover." So I heave Botanica's suitcase down from
the shelf and look it up. Botanica's says groundcover as well, but in the
description states "..good subject for pillars and as a standard." But why
do I only get one cane that wants to grow like that when the rest of the
canes remain so diminuitive? My other climbers don't restrict their length
to a single cane. That's what's so frustrating. I can't imagine training
one cane round and round a pillar while the rest of the shrub sits at the
base and pouts. I picture that in my head and it ain't pretty. g

Mike
z8TX

Old 21-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Mike

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, "Allegra" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hi Allegra,

AH! Pegging! Now that's an idea. I actually have authentic official rose
pegs (whatever that means) that I never used. I got them a few years ago
when I got Graham Thomas. I thought I was going to peg him, but decided I
liked the natural shape of the shrub and wasn't hurting for blooms, so I
just put those up in the garage (yes, I love me some garage, as you
mentioned before g) and forgot about them. I will try that. As I
mentioned in my response to Cass's post, I couldn't imagine growing these
as climbers because it appears only one cane on each plant wants to reach
for the skies. But pegging may work and I won't have to transplant them to
another location.

So they remain on probation for another year. You are now their defense
attorney. Deal with it. g

Mike
z8TX

Old 21-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Allegra

"Mike" wrote

So they remain on probation for another year. You are now their defense
attorney. Deal with it. g

Mike
z8TX

Oh yeah? I am only the defense attorney for ogr. Modern and barbies
are not my specialty, but I will work pro bono for any rose in need.
What in heaven's name are official rose pegs? We used to bend
copper wire and made our own before the big ones came around.
After a couple of months in the ground you couldn't tell the wire
from the canes.

And move that shovel away from my clients.G

Allegra

Old 21-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Mike

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, "Allegra" wrote:
"Mike" wrote

So they remain on probation for another year. You are now their defense
attorney. Deal with it. g

Mike
z8TX

Oh yeah? I am only the defense attorney for ogr. Modern and barbies
are not my specialty, but I will work pro bono for any rose in need.
What in heaven's name are official rose pegs? We used to bend
copper wire and made our own before the big ones came around.
After a couple of months in the ground you couldn't tell the wire
from the canes.

And move that shovel away from my clients.G

Allegra

I agree with you. I've only been growing roses as a serious obsession for 5
years, so I'm no expert. I still have other plants and a lawn. I understand
that makes me a piker when it comes to rose obsession. But my experience so
far has me favoring the OGR's and Austins. I like the full-foliaged, robust
shrub-like appearance of these plants, as opposed to the tall, skinny and
bare appearance of most HT's. Besides, I grow for garden eye candy and my
own pleasure. No desire to exhibit. So I doan need no steenkin' HT's.

Official Authentic Use-Them-Or You-Must-Be-Some-Kind-Of-Loser Rose Pegs are
glorified oversized bobby-pin looking things with a long spike on one end.
In other words, I am a victim of marketing.

The shovel is in the garage. Pouting. It says you're a buzz-kill.

Mike
z8TX

Old 21-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Cass

In article , Mike
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, "Allegra" wrote:
"Mike" wrote

So they remain on probation for another year. You are now their defense
attorney. Deal with it. g

Mike
z8TX

Oh yeah? I am only the defense attorney for ogr. Modern and barbies
are not my specialty, but I will work pro bono for any rose in need.
What in heaven's name are official rose pegs? We used to bend
copper wire and made our own before the big ones came around.
After a couple of months in the ground you couldn't tell the wire
from the canes.

And move that shovel away from my clients.G

LOL

I agree with you. I've only been growing roses as a serious obsession for 5
years, so I'm no expert. I still have other plants and a lawn. I understand
that makes me a piker when it comes to rose obsession. But my experience so
far has me favoring the OGR's and Austins. I like the full-foliaged, robust
shrub-like appearance of these plants, as opposed to the tall, skinny and
bare appearance of most HT's. Besides, I grow for garden eye candy and my
own pleasure. No desire to exhibit. So I doan need no steenkin' HT's.

Official Authentic Use-Them-Or You-Must-Be-Some-Kind-Of-Loser Rose Pegs are
glorified oversized bobby-pin looking things with a long spike on one end.
In other words, I am a victim of marketing.

The shovel is in the garage. Pouting. It says you're a buzz-kill.

You can keep your effete Martha Stewart rose pegs. Real meat-eating
rose growers use 10 inch U-stakes from the drip-irrigation store. If
you want to be nice, you can slip a 2 inch of 1/4 inch drip tubing over
the curved part, or you can pound the peg and tie the rose. I'm dealing
with a beast with 18 foot canes, so I just pound over the ends of the
canes. You want to see pegged? Took 2 days, 25 puncture wounds.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...hevyPegged.jpg

--
-=-
Cass
Old 21-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Mike

Comments: This message probably did not originate at the above address.
Date: 21 Mar 2003 20:45:10 -0000

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Cass wrote:

You can keep your effete Martha Stewart rose pegs. Real meat-eating
rose growers use 10 inch U-stakes from the drip-irrigation store.

Hee hee hee - very nice. You mean you don't want 'em?

You want to see pegged? Took 2 days, 25 puncture wounds.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...hevyPegged.jpg

Cool! But I've only two canes to peg total. I think I can beat that 2
day/25 puncture record easy.

Is that the dreaded yet ubiquitous red tip photinia I spy next to your
lovely rose? Here in TX, those are junk shrubs that breed disease and
defoliate on a regular basis. It's frightening to see it sitting so close
to a rose! Do they not have those problems on the west coast?

Mike
z8TX

Old 22-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Regina

Cass wrote:

You want to see pegged? Took 2 days, 25 puncture wounds.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...hevyPegged.jpg

THAT is impressive!!

Regina

Old 22-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Regina

Mike wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Cass wrote:
Mike wrote:

I received two Red Ribbons from my Dad last year and they are really
annoying. They keep throwing out these singular 5 feet long limbs from a
plant that otherwise remains about 4 inches tall.

ummm, I have two Red Ribbons in Reno. This 4 inch tall stuff is a
temporary condition.

I kept trying to prune
those off last year. They would just throw out another disproportionately
long limb from right below my cut. Really messed up their shape last year.
This spring, they started out right away with this annoying growth habit.

It's a hint of things to come.

Should I move them to a place where I can try training those monster limbs
to climb, or should I just whack them in the head with the shovel? Anyone
else experience this problem with this particular rose?

If you want a groundcover rose, fergeddit.

It sounds like you're fighting what the rose wants to be, at least from
the HelpMeFind description: 2' x 5' to 7'

Try four to five feet tall at maturity, arching, spreading, always in
bloom, and a very thorny little turkey when you try to get underneath to
thin in out.

Sounds perfect to climb a
2' fence. Probably falls off a wall pretty well.

Yes, but needs lot of room, and doesn't drape much. It holds itself up
in the middle.

Hi Cass,

Hmm... I was told "groundcover."

That is SUCH a joke!

So I heave Botanica's suitcase down from
the shelf and look it up. Botanica's says groundcover as well, but in the
description states "..good subject for pillars and as a standard." But why
do I only get one cane that wants to grow like that when the rest of the
canes remain so diminuitive?

Just give it time.

My other climbers don't restrict their length
to a single cane. That's what's so frustrating. I can't imagine training
one cane round and round a pillar while the rest of the shrub sits at the
base and pouts. I picture that in my head and it ain't pretty. g

Nor will your arms be if you attempt that feat.

Regina
Old 22-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Cass

Mike wrote:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Cass wrote:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...hevyPegged.jpg

Is that the dreaded yet ubiquitous red tip photinia I spy next to your
lovely rose? Here in TX, those are junk shrubs that breed disease and
defoliate on a regular basis. It's frightening to see it sitting so close
to a rose! Do they not have those problems on the west coast?

It's a shill, Mike. I'm disappointed that after 5 years into obsession,
you didn't recognize the tactic immediately. ;~) One day your spouse
leaves for work, and by the time s/he drags home at 7 PM, !presto!
another useless landscape shrub has been replaced by a lovely rose.
Since s/he isn't much of a gardener anyway, s/he won't really notice
anything amiss until the rose blooms. Neat. Clean. Fait accompli.

Actually, my photinia all tried to die the first 2 or 3 years. But
after they got their roots under them (and maybe after the soil had
been mulched long enough to change the pH), they really shot up. They
now live on a 1 gallon dripper all through the summer. As for disease,
that rose is impervious to everything, including the chainsaw.
Old 22-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Mike

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Cass wrote:
Mike wrote:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Cass wrote:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...hevyPegged.jpg

Is that the dreaded yet ubiquitous red tip photinia I spy next to your
lovely rose? Here in TX, those are junk shrubs that breed disease and
defoliate on a regular basis. It's frightening to see it sitting so close
to a rose! Do they not have those problems on the west coast?

It's a shill, Mike. I'm disappointed that after 5 years into obsession,
you didn't recognize the tactic immediately. ;~) One day your spouse
leaves for work, and by the time s/he drags home at 7 PM, !presto!
another useless landscape shrub has been replaced by a lovely rose.
Since s/he isn't much of a gardener anyway, s/he won't really notice
anything amiss until the rose blooms. Neat. Clean. Fait accompli.

You're devious. I like that.

Actually, my photinia all tried to die the first 2 or 3 years. But
after they got their roots under them (and maybe after the soil had
been mulched long enough to change the pH), they really shot up. They
now live on a 1 gallon dripper all through the summer. As for disease,
that rose is impervious to everything, including the chainsaw.

Well, if you can grow photinia without those problems, it would be a
worthwhile shrub. I do like the red leaves in spring and the overall glossy
look to the foliage. Grows fast and makes a great hedge.The white
flowerheads are a nice touch, too. They just wont remain healthy here,
though. It seems when one photinia gets sick, it spreads it to every
photinia with a 10 mile radius. Yet, the two most common landscaping
elements here are crepe myrtle and red tip photinia. Go figure.

Mike
z8TX

Old 22-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Allegra

"Mike" wrote

So I doan need no steenkin' HT's.

Ok, Señor Gold Hat, you don't need to show me no steenkin'
badges either to believe you really like the org best. ( smart boy!)

The shovel is in the garage. Pouting. It says you're a buzz-kill.

Righto! Since when is there an attorney who isn't? You told me
I was their defendant in this case, right? so deal with it ;)

Allegra

Old 23-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Mike

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, "Allegra" wrote:
"Mike" wrote

So I doan need no steenkin' HT's.

Ok, Se=F1or Gold Hat, you don't need to show me no steenkin'
badges either to believe you really like the org best. ( smart boy!)

The shovel is in the garage. Pouting. It says you're a buzz-kill.

Righto! Since when is there an attorney who isn't? You told me
I was their defendant in this case, right? so deal with it ;)

Allegra

Hey Allegra,

Can't hide a reference from you, can I?=20

How's your spring coming? The wildflowers are beginning to pop here. Mostly=

bluebonnet right now, but give it a week or so. I'm anxious to see if I was=

brilliant enough to get indian paintbrush to grow. My clematis is coming
up, too. I still don't have any rose blooms, but I'm rich with buds. Even
the little baby Russelliana from Chamblee's has buds, which I'm very happy
about because I thought I may have to wait until next spring to see any
blooms. Looks like this will be the best year so far with my Abraham
Darbys. Loaded all the way up and down every cane. I can't wait. Those are
some gorgeus blooms.=20

I pegged the two Red Ribbons as you suggested. They look a little funny
right now - just one big cane on each bent in a hoop. I hope Cass is
correct that the rest of the canes will soon follow suit.=20

I received email today from Wayside Gardens. They want to sell me roses at
75% off. $3.00 Austins. I don't have Tamora. That's your cue to badmouth
Wayside to prevent me from making a mistake. You can also remind me of the
heartbreak of RMV and the reason why I try to stick with own roots. I don't=

know though. $3.00. Tamora. Help.

Mike
z8TX