Old 21-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Kirra

Default Burgundy Iceberg

I picked up my favourite gardening magazine last night and saw an ad for
Burgundy Iceberg. Has anyone got one or seen one in the flesh?

The treloar picture looks more dark red ...
http://www.treloar-roses.com.au/file...%20iceberg.htm

but this one is more like the ad ...
http://www.pbase.com/image/8806142

It's getting time to start thinking about bare roots in the Southern
Hemisphere and I'm thinking this might have to be included. I love the
floriferousness of my two climbing icebergs. Any comments from anyone?

Thanks,

Kirra
Z10
Brisbane, Australia

Old 21-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Shiva

Kirra wrote:

I picked up my favourite gardening magazine last night and saw an ad for
Burgundy Iceberg. [...] Any comments from anyone?

Unbelievably gorgeous!! It has to be new. Bet it isn't available in the
US, either. WOW!!

Thanks,

Kirra
Z10
Brisbane, Australia

Old 21-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Radika Kesavan

Kirra wrote:
I picked up my favourite gardening magazine last night and saw an ad for
Burgundy Iceberg. Has anyone got one or seen one in the flesh?

The treloar picture looks more dark red ...
http://www.treloar-roses.com.au/file...%20iceberg.htm

Oh, MY. What a beauty!

but this one is more like the ad ...
http://www.pbase.com/image/8806142

Even in that ... gorgeous.

It's getting time to start thinking about bare roots in the Southern
Hemisphere and I'm thinking this might have to be included. I love the
floriferousness of my two climbing icebergs.

I have grown very fond of my Brilliant Pink Iceberg though it isn't too
Brilliant in its pinkness.

Any comments from anyone?

I want this! Wonder if they have it released it for commerce in the
Northern Hemisphere yet. Kirra, you have just managed to torture me
through cyberspace :-). Know where this comes from?

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Kirra

Radika wrote:
It's getting time to start thinking about bare roots in the Southern
Hemisphere and I'm thinking this might have to be included. I love the
floriferousness of my two climbing icebergs.

I have grown very fond of my Brilliant Pink Iceberg though it isn't too
Brilliant in its pinkness.

Any comments from anyone?

I want this! Wonder if they have it released it for commerce in the
Northern Hemisphere yet. Kirra, you have just managed to torture me
through cyberspace :-). Know where this comes from?

Sorry about the torture :-)
I love listening to everyone else talk about which ones they want to get and
when I saw the ad, I thought, I've just got to share.

Swanes in Australia has this on their website:

"Swane's are also responsible for the development of the new Iceberg colours
Blushing Pink Iceberg, Brilliant Pink Iceberg and the new "Burgundy Iceberg"
due to be launched in June 2003. These roses are now causing sensation in
the USA and Europe because of their free and constant flowering,almost
thornless stems and impeccable disease resistance."

http://www.swanes.com/services.shtml

So since it has just been released here and you guys over there got
Brilliant and Blushing Pink Iceberg, maybe it will be available over there
next season? If I end up getting it I'll send pictures, I promise I'm
still compiling my wish list, it's about 10 so far, and then I'll narrow
down to five before I order ... maybe six ... oh well, maybe I can just
plant any extras at my mother's place.

Kirra
z10
Brisbane, Australia

Old 21-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Mike

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, "Kirra" wrote:
I picked up my favourite gardening magazine last night and saw an ad for
Burgundy Iceberg. Has anyone got one or seen one in the flesh?

The treloar picture looks more dark red ...
http://www.treloar-roses.com.au/file...%20iceberg.htm

but this one is more like the ad ...
http://www.pbase.com/image/8806142

It's getting time to start thinking about bare roots in the Southern
Hemisphere and I'm thinking this might have to be included. I love the
floriferousness of my two climbing icebergs. Any comments from anyone?

Thanks,

Kirra
Z10
Brisbane, Australia

Hi Kirra,

WOW! Gorgeous! Top-notch rose porn!

I have Brilliant Pink Iceberg and the blooms are beautifully shaped. I can
picture this Burgundy Iceberg in full flush and know what a stunner it
would be. June's quite late for planting here, but I bet this one won't be
hard to find next year.

Again, WOW!

Mike
z8TX

Old 21-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Radika Kesavan wrote:
I want this! Wonder if they have it released it for commerce in the
Northern Hemisphere yet. Kirra, you have just managed to torture me
through cyberspace :-). Know where this comes from?

I know. Here's a quote from the March 2003 issue of Gardening Australia:

"On June 1, Swane's Nurseries (www.swanes.com) will release 'Burgundy
Iceberg', first sported in Swane's own Dural rose garden in 2000. This
stunning new variety has been sent to leading growers around the world
for testing and looks set to be a home grown success story."

Swanes also introduced Blushing Pink and Brilliant Pink strains of
Iceberg in 1997 and 1999 respectively. All strains are said to have
"exceptional vigour, showy clusters of blooms, disease resistance and
constant flowering Australia-wide".

I often frequent the Swanes Dural rose garden north of Sydney - they
have display gardens of several hundred bushes, quite amazing.
International tourists come to see it.

Looks like the bare root price for a bush in its introduction this June
will be A$19.95 (US $11 approx). That's quite expensive. Swanes does
ship overseas but I think they charge an extra A$200 (US $110 or
thereabouts) to get through all the red tape.

Swanes' web site has a mention of it on their home page but the site
hasn't been opened for 2003 orders yet. You can order by phone though.
Old 21-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Cass

In article .com.au,
Daniel Hanna wrote:

In Radika Kesavan wrote:
[...]

Last I heard, we can't import form Australia. This will be another one
we have to get through Canada...
Old 21-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Unique Too

"Kirra" writes:

I picked up my favourite gardening magazine last night and saw an ad for
Burgundy Iceberg. Has anyone got one or seen one in the flesh?

The treloar picture looks more dark red ...
http://www.treloar-roses.com.au/file...%20iceberg.htm

but this one is more like the ad ...
http://www.pbase.com/image/8806142

Wow! Those are both beautiful colors. With all the praise I've heard about
Iceburg, I had been thinking about adding one soon. But I have too many new
whites this year already. I need (really I NEED) some reds and that would be
perfect.

It's getting time to start thinking about bare roots in the Southern
Hemisphere and I'm thinking this might have to be included. I love the
floriferousness of my two climbing icebergs. Any comments from anyone?

Comments? Sure, you buy one now so you can tell us how it performs. That way
we'll know whether to get one when it's available here. g

Old 21-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Radika Kesavan

Kirra wrote:
Radika wrote:

I want this! Wonder if they have it released it for commerce in the
Northern Hemisphere yet. Kirra, you have just managed to torture
me through cyberspace :-). Know where this comes from?

Sorry about the torture :-) I love listening to everyone else talk
about which ones they want to get and when I saw the ad, I thought,
I've just got to share.

Heh. Sounds good.

Swanes in Australia has this on their website:

"Swane's are also responsible for the development of the new Iceberg
colours Blushing Pink Iceberg, Brilliant Pink Iceberg and the new
"Burgundy Iceberg" due to be launched in June 2003. These roses are
now causing sensation in the USA and Europe because of their free and
constant flowering,almost thornless stems and impeccable disease
resistance."

http://www.swanes.com/services.shtml

I have not so far heard of Blushing Pink Iceberg, though my Brilliant
Pink Iceberg constnatly throws out canes bearing blooms which look like
this.

So since it has just been released here and you guys over there got
Brilliant and Blushing Pink Iceberg, maybe it will be available over
there next season?

I will look forward to it.

If I end up getting it I'll send pictures, I promise

Hey, would you? That would be great. Living vicariously is not as much
fun as living by oneself, but it will be really nice to know what this
rose looks like in a real person's garden before taking the plunge
oneself g.

I'm still compiling my wish list, it's about 10 so far, and then I'll
narrow down to five before I order ... maybe six ...

What is on your current list?

oh well, maybe I can just plant any extras at my mother's place.

I am sure she would like that, as would you.

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 08:20 PM
saki

Cass wrote in
:

Swanes' web site has a mention of it on their home page but the site
hasn't been opened for 2003 orders yet. You can order by phone
though.

Last I heard, we can't import form Australia. This will be another one
we have to get through Canada...

Not fair! I want this NOW.

And I never shouted in Usenet before. :-)

----

Old 21-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Radika Kesavan

Daniel Hanna wrote:
In Radika Kesavan wrote:

I want this! Wonder if they have it released it for commerce in the
Northern Hemisphere yet. Kirra, you have just managed to torture
me through cyberspace :-). Know where this comes from?

I know. Here's a quote from the March 2003 issue of Gardening
Australia:

"On June 1, Swane's Nurseries (www.swanes.com) will release 'Burgundy
Iceberg', first sported in Swane's own Dural rose garden in 2000.

Thanks, Daniel!

I often frequent the Swanes Dural rose garden north of Sydney - they
have display gardens of several hundred bushes, quite amazing.
International tourists come to see it.

We shall have to look it up the next time we visit our family members in
Canberra. Might be a few years before we do this again, but it seems
liek one more thing to look forward to while visiting people we care
deeply about. Beautiful country, that part of Australia, looks not very
unlike where we live here g.

Looks like the bare root price for a bush in its introduction this
June will be A$19.95 (US $11 approx). That's quite expensive.

Hmmm ... around here, that would be on par.

Swanes does ship overseas but I think they charge an extra A$200 (US
$110 or thereabouts) to get through all the red tape. Swanes' web
site has a mention of it on their home page but the site hasn't been
opened for 2003 orders yet. You can order by phone though.

Yikes. That gets to add up, doesn't it. I think I shall wait till they
introduce it in the U. S., but thanks for the information, it is good to
know.

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Radika Kesavan

Cass wrote:
In article .com.au,
Daniel Hanna wrote:

Swanes' web site has a mention of it on their home page but the site
hasn't been opened for 2003 orders yet. You can order by phone though.

Last I heard, we can't import form Australia. This will be another one
we have to get through Canada...

Or, it will be introduced here in the next year or two. BPI showed up
here very quickly, so, I think BI might too. It will be well worth the
effort, financially, for Swanes, and since they seem to have gained the
experience with BPI ...

Also, I am going to watch my BPI like a hawk this year for any cane that
throws burgundy flowers ;-). That entity sports every which way except
white.

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Susan Solomon

Oh My Goodness!!
Following Kirra's link, I went to the Treloar rose site in Aussie-land, and
was totally blown away by the Incredibly eye-poppingly BEAUTIFUL roses
available there! I had made up a "must-have" list with about 12 roses before
I realized that Treloar doesn't ship to America. And I just "finished"
planting my little rose garden here in SoCal two weeks ago!

Heartbreak. And since several of the roses I loved at Treloar were released
a number of years ago, but still don't appear in any of our catalogs in the
USA, I guess they won't be appearing on our shores any time soon, eh?

Someone else on the list mentioned going through Canada for Aussie roses,
but the Pickerings catalog I checked didn't list the ones I had wanted.
Phoey. Well, we can always hope for next year.

I LOVE that burgundy Iceberg! But I MUST get "Home and Garden"!

Sue in SoCal

Old 23-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Radika Kesavan wrote:
We shall have to look it up the next time we visit our family members
in Canberra. Might be a few years before we do this again, but it
seems liek one more thing to look forward to while visiting people we
care deeply about. Beautiful country, that part of Australia, looks
not very unlike where we live here g.

The two best times to be a 'rose tourist' in Australia are October/
November (spring) and March/April (autumn). You could spend a whole day
at Swanes, and another at the Honeysuckle Cottage Nursery in our Blue
Mountains.

I'd be really happy to show you around... ditto for anyone else I know
on this ng.
Old 23-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Radika

Daniel Hanna wrote in message shome.com.au...
In Radika Kesavan wrote:
We shall have to look it up the next time we visit our family members
in Canberra. Might be a few years before we do this again, ...

The two best times to be a 'rose tourist' in Australia are October/
November (spring) and March/April (autumn). You could spend a whole day
at Swanes, and another at the Honeysuckle Cottage Nursery in our Blue
Mountains.

I'd be really happy to show you around... ditto for anyone else I know
on this ng.

Daniel, thank you! That would be lovely, when the time comes.

It is too bad that the time works best for families to visit each
other is during Christmas Holidays. We will have to get around this
somehow.

Wilsonara Lisa Devos 'Burgundy' - can't get any more burgundy than this! Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 3 22-01-2007 04:46 PM
Burgundy Iceberg Pictures Kirra Roses 1 18-09-2003 06:03 AM
wish list was Burgundy Iceberg Kirra Roses 3 09-04-2003 01:56 PM
climbing iceberg dave weil Roses 3 28-01-2003 01:06 AM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM