Old 10-02-2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
William Barger

Default Bareroot vs. potted

I am starting a hybrid tea rose garden. I can buy container roses (2
liter) for $20. each. I can buy #1-1 1/2 bareroot for $12. I have no
experience with bareroot, but believe I can successfully plant them.
Both companies offer a 100% guarantee, in case they die. Which option
would you choose?
Bill

Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Koi-Lo

"William Barger" wrote in message
I am starting a hybrid tea rose garden. I can buy container roses (2
liter) for $20. each. I can buy #1-1 1/2 bareroot for $12. I have no
experience with bareroot, but believe I can successfully plant them.
Both companies offer a 100% guarantee, in case they die. Which option
would you choose?
Bill

Look at the condition of the plant, that should be the biggest deciding
factor. However I personally prefer bareroot roses. How many canes are on
the potted or bare root? Look for atleast 3-4 canes each about the thickness
of your small finger. There should be no split canes or broken canes, which
suggest mishandling in transportation.

Bare roots can start to break dormancy, but multiple leaf clusters are bad.
Look at the condition of the root stock. Good bare roots have 3-4 good
anchor roots, about 18" long. Again no broken anchor roots, no signs of
drying out.

Read this guide, for more info.
http://www.brackengardens.com/barerootnewpage.cfm

No matter what you decide, don't let the plants produce too many flowers,
prune the buds so it can establish good roots. But nobody buys a rose bush
for the leaves and thorns, so enjoy a few flowers.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"William Barger" wrote in message
I am starting a hybrid tea rose garden. I can buy container roses (2
liter) for $20. each. I can buy #1-1 1/2 bareroot for $12. I have no
experience with bareroot, but believe I can successfully plant them.
Both companies offer a 100% guarantee, in case they die. Which option
would you choose?
Bill

Generally I've chosen the plants first, then
in whatever form I could find them. I've
even bought well under-age roses (I think
they're called "slips") and had some grow like
weeds and be very hardy.

Bareroot are pickier to plant than potted, but
once established should be just as healthy
(depending on the variety, of course).

So - if you can get plants you want and don't
mind the bit of extra work with bareroot, then
go with bareroot.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
William Barger

They are mail order so I cannot see them before buying.
Bill

Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"William Barger" wrote in message
They are mail order so I cannot see them before buying.
Bill

When I wrote: "I've chosen the plants first",
I meant I knew which varieties I wanted by
name.

You know which *varieties* you're buying, right?
I mean, you're not ordering any old reds, yellows,
etc. You're picking roses by name, for example,
Mr. Lincoln. I'm not saying *you* will order
Mr. Lincoln, I'm simply giving Mr. Lincoln
as an example of a HT red.

My point was, if you can get the roses you
want (the *varieties* you want), then by all
means go for the cheaper bareroot roses, given
that you can get the same sort of guarantee
as on the potted roses.

Which roses do you plan to order?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 13-02-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
William Barger

I ordered 8 roses online today. I want a garden with a theme. Already
have a butterfly, vegetable, and bird gardens. I decided on a patriotic
theme incorporating only red, white, and blue flowers. I ordered Mr.
Lincoln, Let Freedom Ring, JFK, Veterans Honor, Ronald Reagan, and
Double Delight. These were all container roses. Ordered two Blue Girl
which are bareroot, so I will get some bareroot experience. Low growing
Blue Daze will be utilized for more blue since no true blue rose exists.
The front couple feet will be exclusively for annuals. First planting
will be blue Lobelia, and red and white Zinnia Elegans. When it gets
hotter I will plant red and white saliva. Two birdfeeders, a birdbath,
and a blue gazing ball will also be incorporated. I will be widening the
garden by 2' and adding 4' in length. Got all the amendments (cow poo,
bone meal, epsom salts, potting soil, and mulch) yesterday. It was down
in the 50s today, too cold to work outside. Some of you Northerners just
gave me a dirty look. : ) I will keep you posted as to the garden's
progress. Thanks for the advice.
Bill

Old 24-02-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Both TEAS and Robertson's rose shops where I buy most of my plants
purchase bare root roses from Weeks and Jackson and Perkins and pot
them. Then, they sell them as potted plants. Same for LOWE"S and Home
Depot. I don't know of ANY rose shop that sell plants that are truly
potted, whatever that term means today. Once that term meant a plant
that had been grown in a pot, now it just refers to a plant that has
dirt in a pot around a bare rooted plant. The container plant may have
a head start on bare root but not by much. The bare root is easier to
trim and plant also you can select a better root system. I think bare
root is best.
Joe T
Baytown, TX

Old 25-02-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Both TEAS and Robertson's rose shops where I buy most of my plants
purchase bare root roses from Weeks and Jackson and Perkins and pot
them. Then, they sell them as potted plants. Same for LOWE"S and Home
Depot. I don't know of ANY rose shop that sell plants that are truly
potted, whatever that term means today. Once that term meant a plant
that had been grown in a pot, now it just refers to a plant that has
dirt in a pot around a bare rooted plant. The container plant may have
a head start on bare root but not by much. The bare root is easier to
trim and plant also you can select a better root system. I think bare
root is best.
Joe T
Baytown, TX

One of my local nurseries has switched to selling
potted roses, rather than buying bare roots and
potting them up themselves. They told me it's
easier for them to let someone else do the work
and it doesn't cut into their profit any more than
the method they used to use. Plus, the roses have
been in pots larger and are better established by
the time the nursery starts selling them.

Other local nurseries are still doing it themselves,
so it appears to be an individual store decision.

I've planted roses in all forms so it doesn't matter
to me.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 26-02-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Do you leave the roses in pots for a while? I got several from
Robertson;s and repotted them. They were not ready, had little new
roots, must have been in the pot only a short time. So, I picked up
four from TEAS and am letting them stay in the pot for a while, let the
roots grab the pot soil to make repotting easier and hopefully better.
I sold my business and house and am now renting, looking for a new home
like that ole Bole Weavil!, anyway, am potting all my roses in 16" pots
and have installed a drip irrigation system for them. Want to see how
that works. They are doing fine so far. If I ever have a home won't
leave them behind. I plan to keep them pruned to fit their pots, say
about 3' by 3', should be interesting. Later when I really plant them I
will use the drip system. My bunch is; Tiffany, Chrysler Imp., Fourth
of July, Fragrant Hour, Double Delight, Sun Sprite and Granada. Fourth
of July and Granada are new to me, the others are old friends. What do
you think?
Joe T
Baytown

Old 26-02-2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you leave the roses in pots for a while?

Depends. One nursery I bought a potted rose
from a month ago said the roses had recently
been potted and I should wait to plant them.
Since the planting hole wasn't ready yet, that
suited my schedule fine.

But I've had roses in pots for months whose
root balls still almost fell apart when I took them
out later on, so I'm just super careful when I
remove any potted rose from its container.

I got several from
Robertson;s and repotted them. They were not ready, had little new
roots, must have been in the pot only a short time. So, I picked up
four from TEAS and am letting them stay in the pot for a while, let the
roots grab the pot soil to make repotting easier and hopefully better.

Makes sense to me. I've grown roses from cuttings
and have done the same thing you did - repotted to
let them grow out in a larger pot before planting.

I sold my business and house and am now renting, looking for a new home
like that ole Bole Weavil!, anyway, am potting all my roses in 16" pots
and have installed a drip irrigation system for them. Want to see how
that works. They are doing fine so far. If I ever have a home won't
leave them behind. I plan to keep them pruned to fit their pots, say
about 3' by 3', should be interesting. Later when I really plant them I
will use the drip system. My bunch is; Tiffany, Chrysler Imp., Fourth
of July, Fragrant Hour, Double Delight, Sun Sprite and Granada. Fourth
of July and Granada are new to me, the others are old friends. What do
you think?
Joe T
Baytown

I think it's a great idea. On the one hand I would
happily leave most of my 150 roses behind when
I move so I can start over. On the other hand
there are a couple roses that were hard to find in
the first place, and I'll either grow babies from
cuttings or do as you did and take the original
rose along when I move.

Also, I recall someone who used to post here
a lot who had all of his roses in pots because he
really had no place to plant them. I think he
lives in AZ on a smallish lot. Having roses in
pots can work.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 26-02-2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Speaking of hard to find, sure would like to have a Cl. Double Delight.
No luck so far and I have worn a hole in Google searching.
I had one once (I think), long gone today.
jt
Near Houston

Old 27-02-2006, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Speaking of hard to find, sure would like to have a Cl. Double Delight.
No luck so far and I have worn a hole in Google searching.
I had one once (I think), long gone today.
jt
Near Houston

Have you tried contacting the Houston Rose
Society to see if anyone local has Cl.
Double Delight and would share a cutting?

As another possibility, I believe you can ask on
the rose forum (see link below) if anyone has
the rose and would be willing to send you a
cutting. I think that's not a problem in the
CONUS or Canada but roses from overseas
require some sort of permit and quarantine.
You probably don't want to go that route, but
the USDA site should have the info. if you're
interested.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/roses/

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 27-02-2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Good advice Gail, will work on it!
JT
Near Houston TX

Old 27-02-2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Good advice Gail, will work on it!
JT
Near Houston TX

The one thing I just remembered is there's some
limit on cuttings from patented roses based
on when they were first offered in commerce.
I.e., I wouldn't hesitate to give away cuttings
from any old garden rose since they're all old,
but don't be surprised if some rose person
tells you it's not legal to take cuttings from
more recent plants. Sorry I didn't think of that
when I posted earlier.

It's still worth asking the question...

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 07-03-2006, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Bill,
I have a patriotic garden in the front of our property:red geraniums,
blue salvia and blue hydrangea,white daisies,impatiens,phylox.
I like your idea, I'll plant red roses!
Unfortunately, the wind chill is in the teens and the temperature was
near 20! I'm up north in NY
Linda,Copake,NY

Finally, the bareroot bloomed Shiva Roses 6 04-04-2003 06:08 AM
Finally, the bareroot bloomed! Emil Roses 1 02-04-2003 10:32 PM
Bareroot Stawberry plant storage Tim B Edible Gardening 6 26-03-2003 10:08 PM
Dying bareroot Susan Solomon Roses 11 17-03-2003 02:56 AM
Cutting Back This Bareroot Rose Cdonahey41 Roses 1 13-03-2003 11:45 PM