Old 24-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Cass

Default "Lemmon's Immortal Idaho" was Waiting

Huskies4all wrote:

says...
Huskies4all wrote:
I have a pic of the tiny thing as of 2 days ago he
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huskies4a...&.src=ph&.view
=t

Wow. No wonder you wanted to save that rose! What a beauty. So as I
recall, you tried for a number of years to take cuttings and you
finally dug up a sucker...which looks like it wants to grow. What
beautiful flowers!

You recall correctly. I'm only slightly worried that the sucker will
not be true. Just about every cane on the bush seems to be a
"sucker" so I think it is on it's own root stock. It is gorgeous.
When cared for, it produces vast amounts of smallish (2-3" across)
flowers that are sort of "teacup" shaped. Pretty dense petals.
Family legend is that she brought it over on a wagon train.

Scent?

Some scent, I can't particularly remember what the scent is, but I'll
let you know when/if it blooms.

Does it rebloom? I ready your original post, where you described it
as a once bloomer.

I believe it's a once bloomer. We'll see what happens when it
actually recieves some water.

What state is this in?

I'm in Southern Idaho. The "high desert"

Remarkable. I'm from Nevada. I know high desert.

How big is that shrub? Looks 6 - 8 feet tall.

Yes, it's at least 8' tall. And absolutely NO water or care in a
desert for the past 20 years. I can't wait to see how it does with
regular watering and fertilizers.

And what color is it? Looks golden to buff washed with cerise to
crimson.

Yes, it is a very golden rose with tinges of pink to peach. The
pink/peach is usually toward the center, but on some individual
flowers can be on the edges of the petals.

This rose should be preserved. Whoever owns that rose now, I think
you said he wouldn't let you dig it up, should be persuaded to let
you take more "samples" so you can be sure that several plants
survive.

Well, the piece that I planted had a root section on it about 2 feet
long in an "L" shape from the main cane. Yesterday I noticed two
"suckers" coming up from that root. I'm considering letting them go
ahead and develop, then whack them off from the main plant to give me
two more specimens.

Good idea.

You need to give this rose a study name that you and everyone else
can used as a reference. snip Grandy'sGold..." Heritage Rose
Groups like the study name to not be too long and to include a
geographic reference. So....what's the name?

Gosh, I'll have to think about it. How about Lemmon's Immortal
Idaho? The "lemmon" will do for the family name and the color. LOL.
The rose has got to be nearly indestructible to survive the abuse
it's had.

CJ, I LOVE it. "Lemmon's Immortal Idaho" is perfect.

One place to look for identification, in addition to Allegra's offer,
is to research the roses at the Fairmont Cemetery in Denver. Altho
Denver gets summer rain, the era of the roses might be similar. I
didn't notice anything like yours. Here's one list:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...oses_list.html

http://www.geocities.com/john_starnes/fairmount.html

"Lemmon's Immortal" belongs in a heritage roses collection. Happy
growing!
Old 25-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Huskies4all

In article ,
says...
Huskies4all wrote:

says...
Huskies4all wrote:
I have a pic of the tiny thing as of 2 days ago he
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huskies4a...&.src=ph&.view
=t

Wow. No wonder you wanted to save that rose! What a beauty. So as I
recall, you tried for a number of years to take cuttings and you
finally dug up a sucker...which looks like it wants to grow. What
beautiful flowers!

You guys are giving me warm fuzzies!

CJ