Old 25-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Double Delight and Miniatures

I was called out of town very suddenly to deal with a family emergency.
Of course, this happens the morning I was planning on planting my new
bare root Double Delight since it had been soaking for about 36 hours.
Knowing I had no idea when I was going to be back, I had to ask the s.o.
to plant it for me. The s.o. who is not a gardener, the s.o. who kills
plants.... Much to my surprise, DD is exactly where I wanted her (I was
very specific about it but one never knows) and has broken dormancy big
time.

It was really neat coming home after being ogne for 11 days to see the
changes in my garden. I tend to take a stroll through in the morning
when I'm drinking my coffee before I go into the office and when I get
home from the office in the evening. Big difference between my constant
"anxious mommy" surveillance and the 11 day break. Only thing I really
missed was my crocuses at their peak. *sigh* However, the hyacinth are
now blooming and I have one tulip that looks like it may open in the
next couple of days. *smile*

All my roses are leafing out beautifully. Big difference a year of
constant attention and nurturing makes in their condition to when we
first bought the house. I've already started taking pictures as I am
determined to identify (and tag *grin*) the mystery roses this year.

Of course, now I'm focusing once again on the four bare spots in my
front bed that edges the walkway to the house. Last year I took out the
azaleas and put in zinnias. This year, I'm really thinking about
putting in some miniature roses. Saki's recommendation of Scentsational
has got it a spot on my list. I would prefer mauve and yellow roses in
those spots. Any suggestions on scented miniatures aside for
Scentsational? I guess I'm really not just thinking about it, am I?
*grin* Sounds more like planning to me now that I read what I have written!

Susan - who has learned the hard way to never to leave home without a
laptop......
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 25-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Kirra

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
I was called out of town very suddenly to deal with a family emergency.
Of course, this happens the morning I was planning on planting my new
bare root Double Delight since it had been soaking for about 36 hours.
Knowing I had no idea when I was going to be back, I had to ask the s.o.
to plant it for me. The s.o. who is not a gardener, the s.o. who kills
plants.... Much to my surprise, DD is exactly where I wanted her (I was
very specific about it but one never knows) and has broken dormancy big
time.

I have a DD and the fragrance is just overpowering. I love the change in
colour from white to red and will often pick the flowers to bring inside
when the outer layer petals have opened and changed to red. As the flower
opens inside, the middle stays a creamy, white colour surrounded by the
outer red petals. I hope you enjoy this rose.

All my roses are leafing out beautifully. Big difference a year of
constant attention and nurturing makes in their condition to when we
first bought the house. I've already started taking pictures as I am
determined to identify (and tag *grin*) the mystery roses this year.

Good luck identifying the mystery roses. How many are a mystery? I am
fortunate to be the one planting all the roses in my garden (started with
bare grass and one small overgrown garden bed) so except for a couple of
minis I bought without tags, I don't have any mystery roses.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10

Old 26-03-2003, 01:20 AM
saki

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in
:

Last year I took out the azaleas and put in zinnias. This year, I'm
really thinking about putting in some miniature roses. Saki's
recommendation of Scentsational has got it a spot on my list. I would
prefer mauve and yellow roses in those spots. Any suggestions on
scented miniatures aside for Scentsational?

Sweet Chariot is supposed to be a terrifically-scented mini with a damask
fragrance. I don't grow this one but plan to at some point, and it looks
as though it would go well with Scentsational if you'd like to stay in
the lavender/mauve combination:

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/minis/chariot.html

I don't grown any yellows at all but ran across Lemon Pearls, which
sounds nice and is well-scented:

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/minis/lemonpearls.html

Of course you could also pair Scentsational with smaller-scale blossoms
like polyanthas (though they're not terribly fragrant, except for Mevrouw
Nathalie Nypels---a nearly-single light pink rose, one that I've grown
and liked for years); or perhaps grow it at the base of a noisette or
hybrid musk.

I'm considering planting Scentsational with Baby Faurax or International
Herald Tribute because I'm intrigued with combining dark mauve with
lavender, but that's just me. I'd also like to put Scentsational together
with Eugene de Beauharnais; I think burgundy and lavender are good
combinations as well, and in this case the combined fragrance might well
stop traffic.

Scentsational might also look good with 'Violet Queen' zinnas. I have a
fondness for zinnias; they were the first flower I ever grew. I ran
across a photo taken in 1963 of my first gardening attempt (I was about
eight or nine), which consisted of a pot of violet zinnias, a smaller pot
with what is probably an ajuga (a groundcover---the blue probably
attracted me) and a mauve crepe myrtle tree about two feet high. Clearly
my color predilections were firmly in place even then.

----

Old 27-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Susan H. Simko

Kirra wrote:

I have a DD and the fragrance is just overpowering. I love the change in
colour from white to red and will often pick the flowers to bring inside
when the outer layer petals have opened and changed to red. As the flower
opens inside, the middle stays a creamy, white colour surrounded by the
outer red petals. I hope you enjoy this rose.

I have no doubt I will enjoy it. I have to admit to a bias in that I
have limited space in my yard so any rose that is put in *must* have
some fragance. DD is a winner in looks, imo, and was a real winner in
scent. I can't wait.

Good luck identifying the mystery roses. How many are a mystery? I am
fortunate to be the one planting all the roses in my garden (started with
bare grass and one small overgrown garden bed) so except for a couple of
minis I bought without tags, I don't have any mystery roses.

I have four roses that are Mystery Roses though I only care about
identifying three of them. One is a deep red, one a mauve and another
an almost glowing apricot. All have fragance. *grin* As I get
pistures this year, I'll put them up on a website. I just shot some
over the weekend of just the foliage but have yet to get them developed.
I know, I should have used my digital camera in addition to or instead
of my 35 mm but I'm still playing with the new 35 mm I got for
Christmas. *grin* I also want to put together a garden album one of
these days. However, that still doesn't justify my lack of use of the
digital camera since I also have a very nice ink jet printer for
printing photos. *grin*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 27-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Miniatures

All of you are such bad influences on me. *grin* Yesterday I ordered
Center Gold, Dazzler, Golden Halo and Overnight Scentsation from
Nor'east Miniatures. I decided that I wasn't going to be concerned so
much about colours with the roses since that particular bed is already a
riot of flowers of different colours that were mostly put in by the
previos owner of our house. I went shopping for scent, colour and
availability. I also really wanted to place the order with one company
so I can get that bed done for this year finally.

Now I'm stuck trying to figure out where else I can put more roses as I
have now allocated the last available spots in beds ot these four new
miiatures. S.O. would most definitely not be in favour of me removing
all the lawn. I've already tried to tell him that it will reduce the
amount he has to mow but the s.o. is simply not buying that. *grin*
Our neighbor told us last night that w ereally need to buy a farm with
more land so that we can accomodate our "zoo" and my gardening love.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Cherry Parfait and Double Delight Me Roses 0 03-05-2005 05:48 AM
Double Delight Susan H. Simko Roses 3 30-05-2003 05:08 AM
Fragrant reds (was Pics (including Double Delight)) Daniel Hanna Roses 0 21-05-2003 11:20 PM
Poor Double Delight Roses 0 17-04-2003 12:56 AM
Double Delight (was Granada) Daniel Hanna Roses 1 28-02-2003 04:03 PM